Vienna marked or stray white hairs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disney

Reaction score
I'm very confused and worried about this breeding..
I guess i made a mistake introducing a vienna marked into my lutino line but i thought as long as i cull the kits with the vienna markings and keep the solid ones, i would be fine and be able to get rid of the gene.
There are 5 kits born with 1 that has obvious markings similar to the dam and 1 that has a few white hairs on his head.. the other 3 looked solid and free of the gene, until i checked them today. All 3 solids have 2 to 10 white strands of hair on their chest. So does this mean the whole litter is VC/VM? Or could it be stray hairs that has to do with some kind of unexplained modifiers?

I wanted to keep 2 of these solid kits, but now im seriously doubting if thats a good idea. I dont want to deal with Blue Eyed Lutinos, that would ruin the whole breeding programme that i share with other european breeders. So if i were to use these kits for future breedings, would i keep getting more kits with the same issue or could it be stray hairs that would dissapear in the following generations?

It seems like every VM x solid breeing i do, all kits result to be VM.
I did pairings with 1 solid parent and 1 VM parent and all kits and every one of the 14 kits had white somewhere. The gene can't be inherited by every one of them right? I dont like to believe that.

10407880_10152480165609528_5201046482024267843_n.jpg

10178146_10152480165589528_8341195962141579144_n.jpg

10350450_10152478743329528_7091113361376674066_n.jpg

10173666_10152478743249528_2203790500652006685_n.jpg

The dam
8305361_orig.jpg

The sire
3362430_orig.jpg

I haven't worked with the VM gene, but I know that it is VERY hard to breed out once introduced. From what I understand they can be carriers even without any visible markings, so should only be used in a Vienna or BEW program, never for any other varieties.

Disney":1vmijsim said:
I wanted to keep 2 of these solid kits, but now im seriously doubting if thats a good idea. I dont want to deal with Blue Eyed Lutinos, that would ruin the whole breeding programme that i share with other european breeders.

I would only use them as part of your Vienna program. But even that is risky for the Lutino program if you sell them as pets and they get bred anyway... :x

From http://northernbreeze.weebly.com/bew-genetics.html :

Normal Rabbit (VV) x BEW (vv) = 100% Vv (carriers) /// All will carry the gene, but no BEW's in this litter.

Normal Rabbit (VV) x VM or VC (Vv) = 50% carry the gene & 50% will not. /// There will be a good chance you won't know what carries the gene in this cross. May require some test breeding...

VM or VC (Vv) x VM or VC (Vv) = 25% BEW, 50% carriers, & 25% non-carriers. /// There is a chance that you will not know which are carriers or non-carriers. May require some test breeding...

BEW (vv) x VM or VC (Vv) = 50% BEW, 50% carriers /// They vienna marked or not, but all be carry the gene.

BEW (vv) x BEW (vv) = 100% BEW /// No doubt the easiest to figure out!

In theory, half of the kits from this pairing is expected to be "VV" and not inherit the gene.. that is what i intentionally aimed for, but now i'm complety thrown off. I had decided to keep 2 solids but im concerned that either of them will throw VM's down the road.. i also had planned to repeat the same pairing because i wanted a chocolate doe kit, but after this, i have already decided to cancel that and put her on sale. I will probably keep 1 kit from this litter with a careful eye on her and see what happens. But it's probably not worth the trouble and not knowing what to expect.
I just hate that i traveled 6 hours to get this doe and waited 2 hours on the train and payed so much money for the whole day to have a ruined litter.
I was already bummed that i didnt get any chocolate female, all 4 chocolates are bucks and the one black kit is female.. and now this. And this is my first litter of the year.

The reason i decided to use this doe is because of everything outside the vienna gene, and because i lost my remaining doe's to a dog.
I didn't have anything left and grabbed the closest chocolate doe i could find.. shouldn't have done that.

Back