USDA "Rabbit Police" Found another article...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I wonder how much longer before this is a full-fledged communist country? Can I move to Canada? Y'all have got to be freer than we are by now, the way this has been going.

Im surprised this is an old rule.I dont disagree they have too pay a fine.the amount is absurd.

It's a "possible" amount. The laws are intended to discourage/keep track of puppy mills and similar businesses. Since the only reason for churning out huge numbers of "pet" animals is $$, then you hit them with laws that take those $$ away when they break the law. Free enterprise is one thing...animal abuse is another.

I'm certainly not for animal abuse, but there's got to be a better way to deal with it than this stupidity. He's a magician who uses a rabbit in his show.

A good law is one that punishes bad activity, without curtailing the freedom of those who do not engage in bad activity.

asking someone to pay a fee who uses an animal in a PAID endeavor (so not volunteers doing animal training/education) does not seem unreasonable to me. It's all to ensure the animals safety and welfare. Pay your fee as part of doing business.

ladysown":1m1zpg1c said:
asking someone to pay a fee who uses an animal in a PAID endeavor (so not volunteers doing animal training/education) does not seem unreasonable to me. It's all to ensure the animals safety and welfare. Pay your fee as part of doing business.
I doubt they monitor the act to assure the animal is handled humanely or the living quarters of the rabbit. They seem more interested in collecting the fees.
Any rabbit used in a magic act has to be one that is used to being handled and trusts the magician; otherwise it would kick up a fuss and probably ruin the trick. That means the magician is using a trusted pet rabbit so I doubt it is mistreated.

when my friend needed to get licensing/permits' to have a 'Petting Zoo" a couple years ago in the neighboring state, I was present when the inspectors from both states showed up (they had to inspect jointly) ALL they needed to see, for the Petting Zoo- was the barn where the animals spent the night, feed area, and the water delivery system. No one looked at the trailer, or the animals feet, or even their health records! I had a cage there for the rabbits she was borrowing from me--and get this, since the rabbits were 'borrowed' they did not need to see their home conditions!!!
Really strange, I think

Miss M":2oz3lmdp said:
That's the thing, though... I don't get how paying the fee ensures the animal's safety and welfare.
I agree it doesn't do much to ensure the animals' safety. However a person using animals in a show should have every reason to make sure their animals are safe and well cared for. Just the fact the general public will be viewing these animals and MAY decide to call the SPCA at any given moment should be enough incentive to properly care and keep any animal.

Devon's Mom Lauren":3klbakmt said:
I agree it doesn't do much to ensure the animals' safety. However a person using animals in a show should have every reason to make sure their animals are safe and well cared for. Just the fact the general public will be viewing these animals and MAY decide to call the SPCA at any given moment should be enough incentive to properly care and keep any animal.
That's definitely true -- while you would hope that they would take care of the animal just because they care for them and it's the right thing to do, at the very least they should take care of the animal because if they don't, somebody might do something about it.

This USDA stuff just isn't doing anybody any good... least of all the animals they are supposedly trying to protect. I got no real indication in either case that they really cared about the animals; it seemed more like money grubbing to me. Throwing their weight around showing the little people who's in charge, fining them because of regulations that make no sense (and which exist in ridiculous numbers), and controlling what people can and can't do with their animals. There are laws to prosecute people who abuse animals. There is no need to penalize everybody because of the few. That is an abuse of the people.

then work to see the law changed. That's all a person can do. Obey the law (or risk getting fined) and work to see it changed to reflect current standards.

Actually, a much larger thing needs to be done: getting rid of these runaway government agencies that suck us dry and squish us beneath their thumbs. We're working on it. We've been trying for a long time to elect people who will prune the federal tree back to what it should be, and we're finally seeing a few of them get in. :)

People who think we can't live without these agencies need only look back to what we were like before we had the agencies. A little comparison will quickly reveal that they have done us very little good and much harm.

More education is needed. Some of these laws work on PERCEPTION of something not actual facts. The public perceives that a license (separate from any business or tax license) will ensure safety to the rabbit...when in fact that is not the case. ARA lobbyists are probably more to blame for some of these extreme laws regarding animals.. What i find crazy is how the workers from the USDA pursue these people and assume such crazy things :(

Latest posts

Back