Upgrading a dog kennel to a rabbit cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
This is my "score" from 2 weeks ago. Solidly constructed 3-tier 2'x4' cage for $75. Each level that two doors. We cleaned it up and removed the worst areas of rust.

DSC_0035.jpg

Unfortunately, the wire bottoms for each level is PVC coated, and starting to peel is some places. Two levels have 1"x1" bottoms, not suitable for kits. Since it's made for dogs, the sides are 2"x4" sections, again, not kit friendly. It also came with no dropping pans. I couldn't find any that fit that size. So we took a road trip to Klubertanz. (Aside: they're super duper nice people, and their shop is EXTREMELY easy to miss in the middle of nowhere!)

We got: 4 2'x2' dropping pans, 2'x4' precut wire bottoms. perforated dividers if I ever want to make it 6 2'x2' cages, chew-resistant food bowls, and hayracks. We were going to get urine guards to use as kit guards also, but they were too $$$ ($36 for all I'd need).

The dropping pans were too tall, so I had to go back. :x BUT when I went back I also found 18" plastic piece, left over from making other items. They're 6"-7", and were only 30 cents a piece. I got enough to do all the cages for $9!! :p

Installed the hay racks on Wednesday. Note: do NOT use the metal ones if you can avoid it. I have 4 stitches in my thumb from one snapping back. :cry:

So now, we're in the midst of the second round of upgrades. The top level has the the precut bottom covering the base and most of the "kit guard" attached.
DSC_0065.jpg

We just used small zip ties to hold the bottom and kit guards in place. It's super easy on the sides, because I just need to drill several holes and run the tie though - no construction skills required!

We'll be keeping a breeding doe in each level, then moving the kits to a grow-out pen as they wean.

__________ Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 pm __________

And please excuse the messy garage in the first photo. We moved the mamas and kits in there at the start of the heatwave because it was much cooler than the coop.

Thanks, Kyle.

It's all worth it, because, y'know how much money there is in rabbits. I will spare no expense for my little reverse ATMs! :lol:

Very nice!

I have quite a few dog crates, they are my emergency cages if I have to quarantine inside and I do not have wire floors in them, just the pans so I have to use shavings which are a mess! I noticed you laid yours on top of the floor but I could probably attach floors somehow and make cleaning easier. Great idea!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think you may have put that floor wire in upside down. The 1/2 inch gaps should be on top and the 1 inch gaps on the bottom. Awesome score though.

The wire running horizontally it on the top.

__________ Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 am __________

LauraNJ":1lh3b14j said:
Very nice!

I have quite a few dog crates, they are my emergency cages if I have to quarantine inside and I do not have wire floors in them, just the pans so I have to use shavings which are a mess! I noticed you laid yours on top of the floor but I could probably attach floors somehow and make cleaning easier. Great idea!
I have shavings in there now, to keep the flies from attacking it. I'm tempted to throw some worms and peat moss in, but I think I'll wait until it isn't so hot for that.

Would kitty litter work, since they won't be stepping in it? My other thought is ag lime and sand, to make cleaning easier.

I suggest you replace the zip ties with some wire, or hog rings.... bored rabbits love zip ties :D

avdpas77":2nxmp22b said:
I suggest you replace the zip ties with some wire, or hog rings.... bored rabbits love zip ties :D
Double duty - toy and securing mechanism. =)

We will be replacing with the cage rings once I figure out how many I'll actually need.

What a deal! People here ask nearly full price for their crates. :(

Definitely get hog rings, not J-clips, because they wont be able to fit around that gauge wire.

The cages look very nice. :)

I got it at an antique farm stuff dealer. The guy went through a divorce and his ex-wife left it there. He just wanted it gone because it's so big. Works for me!

__________ Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm __________

I did a search for the litter thing, and read it's safe so long as they weren't exposed to the dust or could eat it. TSC had their generic clumping litter on sale $8 for a 40lb box. :p Unfortunately, one box was only enough to do 2 of the 3 levels.

BUT the litter looks SO MUCH nicer than the shavings. And I think it will help immensely with smell and tidiness because I won't be inclined to try to "stretch" it like I am with shavings.
DSC_0071.jpg

Great price. I got one of those for $125. I replaced 2 of the floors but don't have dividers on mine. The top floor I divided and left the floor as is for my heavy bucks. They have a resting mat but usually don't use it. The bottom cages I wired the bottom 5" with small wire so it's safe for the kits. Wish I had more of these cages.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 am __________<br /><br />Great price. I got one of those for $125. I replaced 2 of the floors but don't have dividers on mine. The top floor I divided and left the floor as is for my heavy bucks. They have a resting mat but usually don't use it. The bottom cages I wired the bottom 5" with small wire so it's safe for the kits. Wish I had more of these cages.

Latest posts

Back