**(Updated)**Holes In My Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some opinions on how many holes and what it takes to effectively execute a breeding program aimed at producing both fryers and show rabbits.

As of now my pedigreed herd consists of a pair of Americans soon to be bred for the first time, one Florida White buck, two Florida White does that have palpated positive and are due in two weeks, and one FW doe that is yet to be bred.

My unpedigreed herd consists of what was sold to me as NZ's but I have my doubts. They seem to have decent commercial body type and I am still trying to establish their production characteristics. I have already culled a couple of the senior does due to lack of production so what I have now are:
one senior buck, two senior does both due this weekend, and nine grow outs, 3 of which I am considering keeping as breeders.

My short term production goal is to produce enough fryers to establish a market and experiment with crossbreeding as well as producing some purebred show stock along the way.

How much space is going to be required to do what I want? I will be at 40 holes within a week or so as I am steadily building cage banks.

Will 40 holes be enough to meet my short term goals? I really don't want to expand any further until I see how much demand there is but I also want to be able to meet any demand that I find. Seems like a very fine line.

__________ Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:19 pm __________

Shortly after I posted this question originally I had the dogs raid my rabbitry. That set me back a bit and has caused me to re-evaluate my rabbitry. I also realized after posting this that there was really no good answer to my question since everybody handles their rabbitries a little differently.

I never did make it to 40 holes. I had the good sense,or dumb luck,to stop at half that. I have 32 cages in all but I only have 20 in operation. I took all the original cages I built out of use as I decided I liked the cage banks I was building better than the old single cages. I could have the 12 extra cages in use in a matter of the couple of hours it would take to hang them so if my rabbitosis gets any more out of control before spring I can handle the accommodations :mrgreen: .

So,early in the morning I am sending 5 rabbits to freezer camp. I will have culled all of the original NZ type rabbits I bought except for Rose, Streak, and Thumper after tomorrow. I am going to move away from the NZ's for the most part to concentrate on Americans and FW's. I am going to keep a few NZ's in order to experiment with some crosses with the FW's but no more than a few...fingers crossed lol.

With the FW buck and two Americans I am planning on adding to the herd next week and the 5 rabbits departing for freezer camp tomorrow that will put me with only 10 of my 20 holes occupied. I am going to wean 2 litters next week so that will make it 12 of 20 holes occupied. There is a buck in Rose's litter that I am thinking of keeping as well so that would be 13 of 20 holes occupied. I am hoping I can hold off on expansion until spring but we will see. I know I am going to have to cull ruthlessly to make the 20 holes work until spring but that is something I need to learn to come to terms with anyway. I never would have thought that I would get so attached to the rabbits with my hunting and ranching background....whodathunkit. The little suckers are just so cute!!!

I know I kinda rambled on a bit here. I think I need to start a blog.

To find the amount of Rabbits or cages you will need to meet your needs
will take much more than just a littlebit of time and having the cages built
and at your service. It takes much time to gain enough knowledge about your herd
members and how they use and work with your feed and adapt to your plans.
It is a slow process and will take much culling and saving of the proper animals
produced by your herd. It will also require the use of more than just one or two bucks
to produce the necessary characteristics to produce adaquate Show quality Rabbits.
All of those which do not meet your particular needs are the ones that will become
your MEAT Rabbits or Culls. Best of luck to you, wishing you muck perseverance.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Definitely start a blog or even a notebook. You will need good records so that you will know which doe is producing, what pairing of doe and buck gives you the best results.

Agree with Ottersatin, that it will be a slow process getting the right show quality. Sounds like you got the cage accommodations and plans regarding culling.

Wishing you all the best with what you want to do with your Americans and FW's. Let us know if you start a blog. Would love to read how its going for you.

Karen

You have gotten good advice. Depending on the quality of your first generation, it's takes Time, time and more time.
I've been breeding for show for a year now. I am now at 32 holes, with 7 sr does, 8 sr bucks, 7 jr does, 1 jr buck, 14 kits and two just hanging around. This has not gone the way I planned, nothing ever does. I am still not producing enough meat to feed my dogs at least 40% rabbit diet. I have not been happy with what the does are producing, and whole litters have gone to meat. Nothing really showy has come of it. I do plan on culling most of this first generation that got me started in show, but I need them to produce something worthy of replacement first. my stock is what it is, not much choice around here, and it's better than what my Rex breeder was given to start with.

Back