Update on the buns...a few new pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the Cali doe that's gonna kindle any day now. I built her a new nestbox, and she started nesting right away. She likes to dig in the box a lot. Well, it'll wear down her nails and I may not have to trim them for a while...LOL
Isn't she huge?! First time doe. I wonder how many will come, and what colours. Bred to a blue tort angora. Cross your fingers for a good and healthy delivery!
Thanks Mary Ann for pulling through for me! She is a little skittish, but I like her.
I will keep you all updated!

Attachments

• DSCF0409.JPG
    DSCF0409.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF0410.JPG
    DSCF0410.JPG
    874.7 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF0411.JPG
    DSCF0411.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 444
She looks enormous in the first pic!

Hooray for the haystache!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

OK I KNEW SHE WAS HUGE, BUT 13?! THIRTEEEEENNNNN???!!!! :p
This is her first litter (missed the last time), and 13?!
I am thrilled! And I am sure you are, Mary Ann...(All the kits go to Mary Ann's Rabbitry).
They are all fed and look good. One runt, but it is fed as well.
I have no does to foster any to, so I hope she can feed them all. I expect the runt to die though because it is less than half the size of the others, and it has to fight at the milk bar with 12 others. I will try giving it extra feedings as her milk comes in. Maybe once at lunch and once before bedtime...until it catches up a bit. I know some people would just cull it, but I don't like to. :cry:
Pictures to come later today. It is raining, so it's hard to get pictures right now.
:lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny:

WOOHOO!! My Cals typically had litters of 12-13, and had no problem feeding them, so I think yours will be fine. You might give her a tablespoon or so of calcium drench (for goats) in her water each day.

trinityoaks":4x4w7wk9 said:
WOOHOO!! My Cals typically had litters of 12-13, and had no problem feeding them, so I think yours will be fine. You might give her a tablespoon or so of calcium drench (for goats) in her water each day.

Is it expensive? Can I give dandelions and kale instead? I am about to harvest my kale anyway...Or is the calcium drench better?
Some people prefer to not supplement, to see how the doe does on her own. Then you know how good/bad her production is for deciding whether or not to keep any offspring for replacement. Does anyone recommend this, or should I supplement? The calcium is supposed to be given right away, right? The feed store closes at noon today (in 2 hrs), and so I may not get to one until Monday or Tuesday. Any thoughts here? I may go ahead and give her some kale and dandelion while I await your responses.

really?? I just read through it.. Nothing was mentioned about kale..... Kale is hard on the stomach.. You want her to be as natural as possible.. You don't want her going off her feed.
Kale is part of a cabbage family.. I never feed any cabbage family to my rabbits.. to much of a risk..

The last post, by "Frecs" in that thread...said kale is good for calcium.
I keep reading conflicting opinions on google about it...
So I will just stick with the dandelions...I have already been feeding her some very small amounts of greens since I got her, working up to larger amount, but never very much. So a few dandelion leaves daily for a week or 2 maybe, unless I see she has adequate milk supply and doesn't need any...
I will feed the runt an extra feeding later and see what her milk supply is like.

kale does have lots of calcium in it.. but you have to give very small amounts and not very often.
she was use to getting every morning oatmeal and flax seed and alternated with bird seed.. She loves it.. and at night she was getting horse feed and more oats.. She was looking for it everyday. I would put it on her resting board.

Here's a pic of the litter, and 2 pics of the runt vs a regular kit.
As soon as I put the nestbox in, she went in and started feeding and licking them. What a great Momma!

Attachments

• DSCF0416.JPG
    DSCF0416.JPG
    562.1 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCF0418.JPG
    DSCF0418.JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCF0419.JPG
    DSCF0419.JPG
    625.6 KB · Views: 369
Wow, you have to keep posting pics so we can watch them grow!

Kristy

Jessykah":2wzvpipe said:
Here's a pic of the litter, and 2 pics of the runt vs a regular kit.
As soon as I put the nestbox in, she went in and started feeding and licking them. What a great Momma!

That's a big litter! Wow! And congrats!! That runt is really tiny too!

Latest posts

Back