Underweight satin angora bucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We are having trouble keeping up the weight of our herd satin angora bucks and can't figure out why. They maintain but do not gain and don't want to eat more than what will maintain them. They are both about a half pound under the standard minimum for satin angoras. We do not have this issue with our satin angora does. The does are eating great, gaining great, and maintaining body condition even while lactating. Others have mentioned they have the same issues with keeping weight on their bucks. Is there a way to put a little more weight on the bucks? Or is this what we should expect? We are fairly new to satin angoras and I haven't had this issue with other breeds. They're on an 18% protein feed with BOSS and small amount of oats.

I appreciate any feedback!

how much are you feeding them?

But overall I find bucks can be harder to gain weight on then their female counterparts, regardless the breed. Do they have enough to keep them mentally stimulated? Can you offer them more robust things to stimulate their appetite? Is is heat related? In the summer I find I have to offer my bucks a lot more greens than my ladies ... and that seems to keep them eating better overall of the pellets (which might seem counterintuitive but it seems to work). Just throwing ideas out at you. :)

One of my bucks won't eat anything but pellets, cardboard, and wood (branches or boards he doesn't care--hopefully he is just chewing, not consuming it, but I can't say for sure). He is weird. My other will leave pellets to sit, but loves greens or hay to distraction. I do think boredom can be a factor for the bucks. However you don't say what their body condition is. Are they actually SKINNY or just small? My boys are smaller than the does, but not skinny. They are a healthy weight for them.

how much are you feeding them?

But overall I find bucks can be harder to gain weight on then their female counterparts, regardless the breed. Do they have enough to keep them mentally stimulated? Can you offer them more robust things to stimulate their appetite? Is is heat related? In the summer I find I have to offer my bucks a lot more greens than my ladies ... and that seems to keep them eating better overall of the pellets (which might seem counterintuitive but it seems to work). Just throwing ideas out at you. :)
Right now we're feeding 1/2 a cup and they're leaving some at the end of 24 hours. They get pineapple a couple times a week to help prevent wool block and greens semi regularly. The get hay as a functional forage. I don't think it's heat related. We do live in an extremely hot area in the desert but they are in an air conditioned area that doesn't get above 77 degrees F. They have a good amount to keep them mentally stimulated and I try to visit with them enough to fill their social needs as they are both really friendly. I think more greens might be a great place to start, like you said! That's a great idea.

One of my bucks won't eat anything but pellets, cardboard, and wood (branches or boards he doesn't care--hopefully he is just chewing, not consuming it, but I can't say for sure). He is weird. My other will leave pellets to sit, but loves greens or hay to distraction. I do think boredom can be a factor for the bucks. However you don't say what their body condition is. Are they actually SKINNY or just small? My boys are smaller than the does, but not skinny. They are a healthy weight for them.
That's a great question. One is definitely just smaller and where he's at wouldn't be considered skinny, but I'd like a little more weight if I were being picky. The other is larger bodied, so I would definitely consider him on the skinnier side. Not emaciated by any means but can definitely tell he's skinnier than he should be. That's all really great information. Thanks!

I would find out what they like, some of my rabbits are picky eaters and I had to find out what they liked best, and fit their needs. Every rabbit likes different things, so find out what they like best and give it to them. Just a question do you feed hay?

Latest posts

Back