um??? pls read i’m very confused right now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charbunlover13

Reaction score
Okay so i was feeding my rabbit as usual so getting his bowl ready and i decided to give him some forage (don’t know if it’s spelled right but like dried flowers and such) as well so i take out my container of forage (which mind you is new) and take a little scoop out and i put it in his bowl and next thing i see is a small SNAIL SHELL?? i’m very confused why that was there?? i’ve used the same brand of forage forever i’ve never seen that idk what that was or anything like can they eat that?? i did it think so, so i took it out and idk yea that’s all but i’m just kinda freaked out because of that like whattt?? someone pleasee answer i’m so confused. i would put a picture but idk how to so😭 also there wasn’t anything inside just a shell. idk what just happened but pls read and help i’m just so out of words?!?😨

Lol, I think this is like finding a snail in your salad. I am not familiar with the product you are using, but presumably plants used to make it were grown outside right? So a snail got in there....and was packaged up by mistake. Your rabbit can't eat it, but it won't hurt anything, you can just throw it away.

For the record in real hay bales in fed to most animals, many types of small animals (mice, snakes, birds etc) are routinely trapped in the bales and killed. It is part of mechanical farming, including where your food comes from. Human food is generally inspected to remove animal contaminated parts so the customer rarely sees them, but it does happen. Also pesticides are sprayed and prevent this type of thing, leaving the death in the field instead of on the shelf.

Even when I make hay by hand with the scythe some critters end up in the bales even when I try to save them. Slugs, snails, grasshoppers, bugs, ants, you name it. Doesn't matter. Actually, it's a good sign, at least the stuff isn't loaded with chemicals. Which as a much bigger problem than some dead bugs or slugs, which, in the best case are just added protein, in the worst case they don't matter whatsoever.

There are quotas for insects in human food, like how much insect can be in jams. Completly natural, no risk involved. It's a small part of normal life that shines through into the dead, toxic environment many of us are used to, where everything is sterile, packed in plastic and processed to a point my grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, and robots have taken over the job of killing everything in the lawn. And where things like allergies and fertility problems are a pandemic.

Your buns definitly are not going to be bothered by the remains of a snail.

Actually slugs and snails carry parasites that some animals can handle, some can't.
Unfortunately, yes. We had a very wet summer and are now having to treat our goats for lungworm, and a friend who feeds hand-gathered forage to her rabbits had three litters of meat growouts end up with liver flukes. 🤢 Both of those parasites spend part of their lifecycles in snails and slugs.

But I doubt a snailshell in feed would be much of a problem... more like comic relief!

I doubt many parasites survive being dried with hay, and different to bigger animals rabbits wouldn't eat a crispy dry slug, or an empty shell. So I still think anything of this in hay isn't a real issue for rabbits.

I wasn't, and I'd rather be still not aware about all those parasits out there that don't make themself known by causing actual, noticeable problems. One can get paranoid about that. :) :D

Back