Ugh Coccidia in the Chickens...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So the tests came back positive for coccidia in the chickens along with round worms and ascarid. Going to worm and treat, but how do you deal with the coop and grounds? Coop is wooden. I know bleach and normal cleaners are not effective against it. Few times I've come across in rabbits, I've terminally culled and torched every thing. I can't do that with the chickens. Ideas? I know ammonia at 5% is supposed to be effective against it, but it isn't safe to use near or in pet areas that I'm aware of (I've never used it and what I've read says that has to be rinsed well and no contact by pets, highly dangerous if eaten/inhaled). :cry:

Coccidia is easily treated in chickens by chopping green onions, garlic chives, or garlic tops, [in an emergency you can even use onions [bulbs] you will never get rid of the coccidia, once you have it, you just need to use allium family plants every day for 2 weeks, then periodically [once a month] and then once / week when you introduce any new chickens for a month or two, chickens will build an immunity and become resistant [until they get an immune system crash again] if using onion is too much bother ,put Corid in the water.
The good thing about garlic, and onion is they also help to control the other parasites.

Seems like Aloe vera can be an effective treatment in chickens. The most effective treatment in the study was aloe in a water solution. They didn't study simply feeding aloe to the chickens. Is Aloe safe to feed to rabbits?

Attachments

• 2012 Akhtar et al VET PARASITOL.pdf
    523.7 KB · Views: 42
Says in the study it's an extract put in water. ..aloe Vera plants should not be eaten as they are high in alkali. ..they are toxic. At least to dogs..nearly lost a great Dane due to her eating one. .

What about spread to the rabbits, dogs, and cats because of them? Or is just a lost cause and I'll have to contend with fighting and treating every one. Is there any thing that can be used on the soil around and along the path to try to keep the cocci just there? Are the eggs and meat still human consumable?

I did some research a while back and some of the coccidia species are different for different species so you might not have a problem. I was looking specifically for horses.

Do you know what species of coccidia your chickens have?

I think you could treat with the ammonia, rinse and let dry and it would be safe for animals, maybe not hang out there while it dries and you'd have to move the birds. I treat my rabbit cages with a 10% ammonia solution with no issues.

Personally, I love natural remedies and try to things naturally for prevention but if there is an actual issue I'm all for effective chemicals.

I wonder if any "real" research has been done on Aloe vera and rabbits, -I know it is listed as toxic to rabbits in Medirabbit, and House rabbit Society, [but so is garlic and that is BS] -they also say colocasia species is toxic to rabbits, [some are and some aren't , bac-ha, is not] They say xanthosoma species is toxic [but xanthosoma brasilense is not] They say onions [all parts]are highly toxic, [that is BS] --some sites list Yams, [dioscorea species] as toxic, [rabbits love the leaves of Dioscorea batatas, alata, bulbifera, cayenensis, and rotundata, all with no ill affects]
I sure wish that "official" web sources would do a little real research before listing info. - as a lot of people depend on them for "accurate info" for caring for their animals.-----------[end of rant]
I have found research where aloe vera jell was fed to rabbits for fat deposit related research, but did not find in it a statement about how it affected the overall health of the rabbit. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3634268/
also related--[ but just barely] http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/thr ... -my-plants

The first study I find very interesting in that half the rabbits in the study had their water replaced with a 3.2% aloe vera gel/water solution for a period of 30 days. That seem to be a pretty good indication to be that the gel is at least, not acutely toxic. There is no mention of mortality so I'm assuming none of the rabbits in the study died.

Thanks very much for finding those!

alforddm":2q9guif9 said:
The first study I find very interesting in that half the rabbits in the study had their water replaced with a 3.2% aloe vera gel/water solution for a period of 30 days. That seem to be a pretty good indication to be that the gel is at least, not acutely toxic. There is no mention of mortality so I'm assuming none of the rabbits in the study died.

Thanks very much for finding those!

we need to remember that the purpose of the study was not rabbit health, so-- we can not assume " total safety" just because adverse effects were not mentioned. But-- on the other hand, -- if they had all died, there would be no results to report... and-- that was a lot of aloe being used...

Hmm consensus on poultry group I'm on is there is no way to really get rid of it once it is in the soil, has been said I can clean the coop like mentioned effectively with 10% but it won't take care of the yard. Rinsing as mentioned wasn't, but I'm assuming it would be a must considering to make it to where it could be usable again at all. All animals will be removed from any where near the area, so not worried about that. There will always be some coccidia present I was told in the soil, usually after it rains or wet conditions as it'll breed faster then (now how true that is I'm unsure of, as again the only dealings I've had is term culling and torching...so there is no chance of it). I'm wondering if covering with the 10% and then digging out and covering again would completely get rid of it in the soil area?

top soil removal is an option, however- cocci can remain viable in the soil for over 50 years, -- I have lived with it almost every farm I have been on, I just watch for symptoms, and treat. I have had no losses or problems with it since I started feeding garlic tops, onion tops, or garlic chives, and when ever I have new chickens, or chicks, I always feed it chopped up to them when they are first introduced to my soil, and once/ week for the first month. They then develop an immunity, and are fine.

It will just get re-introduced by wild birds anyways :shrug:

Why did you get your birds tested in the first place ? We're you having health or production issues ?

Outward appearance is healthy, no signs of parasites period. However, about 6 months ago there was a problem/complaint with a micro-plasma s and g outbreak at the swaps (we'd sold 1 rooster 2 months before the verified outbreak and was questioned whether it was here too or not) and they came, tested them. Didn't know about the outbreak until about 3 months ago when they actually came out and finally tested. The tests just did come back from that. Honestly, if they'd not tested, we'd never known any thing was wrong probably. There's not been any reason to suspect otherwise or to worm. I have a compromised immune system (asthma, severe allergies, fourth stage pre-cancer, fatty liver issue, few other things) so I have to be careful what I eat, can't handle eggs/milk products from store any more and was keeping small amount of chickens to take care of that. I couldn't handle getting some thing from them, put me in the hospital for sure for quite a while. I rarely use eggs from them, haven't since were told about the outbreak. The micro can come from tracking it in or wild birds as well...but one of those things better to know than not.

Outward appearance is healthy, no signs of parasites period. However, about 6 months ago there was a problem/complaint with a micro-plasma s and g outbreak at the swaps (we'd sold 1 rooster 2 months before the verified outbreak and was questioned whether it was here too or not) and they came, tested them. Didn't know about the outbreak until about 3 months ago when they actually came out and finally tested.

Who is "they"

Maybe things are different in the States, but considering you guys normally have less regulations I doubt it, neither mycoplasma synoviae nor mycoplasma galliseptus are diseases that must be reported to the government and I'd be telling "them" to get the heck off my property.

I dont think there is a chicken on the planet who doesn't test positive for coccidia but in most birds it is NOT pathogenic except in hatchlings and old or stressed poultry and since you say your birds seem healthy you don't have a problem.

MG and MS are not infectious in ANY species of mammal so they are not any danger to you and there are no reported cases of Ascarididae galli (chicken roundworms) in people.

Ag department, it wasn't mandatory it was voluntary, was asked for them to check. There was a lady at the swaps, same first name different last name, that was beyond positive the whole sickness issue was my fault. This is not my first go around with this woman, so rather than squabble or end up in court with her again even though the last time I was awarded and she was told to take a hike of sorts and not to bother me again (no restraining order was issued though), I said well since you won't voluntarily have your chickens tested...we will and end the mess right up front. Our chickens do not have the problems that the outbreak did that was making them sick, but we did find out about the coccidia and other parasites that way. Since it wasn't a wide spread infection in every single bird tested, Ag guy (whom we've known for years so no worries there) that it was probably a recent infection from the wildlife that come in and use the same water source or from the migrating flocks of crows/geese, not to worry about where it came from but it needed to be taken care of so that it didn't become a problem and we lost all of them to it. He didn't know any thing more than it should be treated to keep them from getting really sick nor the withdrawal or other issues it could cause so that's why I asked. Hope that clears up some things. The only mandatory thing WV has an issue with is bird flu, then the entire flock and grounds has to be quarantined/destroyed. Other than that, there's nothing I know of or he could tell us.

Ahhh I see :)

Yeah, just to get them off my back I would have likey agreed as well.

All 4 diseases (MS MG coccidia and roundworms) are common in poultry and there are different strains, just like with pasturella - often stock bought from the big commercial farms have the nastiest versions since they are automatically fed antibiotics and of course the bugs develop resistance and introduce these "super bugs" to the smaller flocks. Some die (young, weak, stressed, old) and the survivors are now resistant - personally if my birds aren't showing symptoms then I woulndt treat for coccidia, MS or MG and I would inspect the intestines of the weakest bird in the flock to see how bad the round worm issue is - I've never seen worms in a chicken so I don't know what to look for :)

I would treat the chicks in the spring to prevent it from blooming in them (MS is rather hard on chicks) but it sounds like the adults are keeping it in check.

Last year we had an outbreak of a nasty strain of MG brought in from a commerical turkey farmer who sold off some of his young poults at a big spring swap and a lot of people lost turkeys - Most of the small farmers around here are Organic or nearly organic including us and we lost most of our Bourbon chicks, half the Narraganset and 5 of the 12 commercial Whites :) - not fun but $&!? happens and the surviving birds will have immunity for it next time the disease visits and our losses won't be as bad.

Latest posts

Back