Trying to figure this boy out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothergoosemagic

Reaction score
Cadbury 4 July 2014.jpg

I was recently "gifted" with a huge, very spoiled lop named Cadbury. He's obviously a lop, but I have no idea which variety. I've seen a fully grown Holland lop, and he's bigger than that. I haven't tried to weigh him, but he's about as long as my NZ doe, but much rounder.

I usually try to rehome any gift bunnies, but I just fell in love with him. He looks just like a stuffed toy & his photo doesn't do him justice. Even Hubby doesn't want to part with this one.

Any ideas?

I have no idea other than "some kind of lop", but I wanted to say...he is gorgeous! Those eyes!

I can totally see keeping him.

He might be a French Lop due to his size but he has a totally wrong head shape so I am leaning towards an English Lop cross :)

Unlike most of the other lop breeds, ELops often pass on their lop ears to their crossbred offspring

His colour is really unique :D I think he is a lilac otter or lilac fox (torted otter)

Dood":2ck9u4a8 said:
He might be a French Lop due to his size but he has a totally wrong head shape so I am leaning towards an English Lop cross :)

Unlike most of the other lop breeds, ELops often pass on their lop ears to their crossbred offspring

His colour is really unique :D I think he is a lilac otter or lilac fox (torted otter)

Im with Dood with this one. He defiantly isnt a holland lop like you said. By chance could he be a mixed breed? He is really cute!

Ptbunny8087":lo54gcwq said:
Dood":lo54gcwq said:

Im with Dood with this one. He defiantly isnt a holland lop like you said. By chance could he be a mixed breed? He is really cute!
He dont look mixed to me.

I'd have to agree, I don't think he's a French Lop either. His head shape doesn't look like the 11 I have. It does kind of look like a Mini to me. Any idea how old he is?

Here's one of my 6 week old French Lop Doesto compare head shape to.
6 weeks_e.JPG

Okay, I got the boy outside for some better pix. Please excuse the cage--I wire the bottoms of junk cages & use them for some outside R&R.

The first shows something I should have mentioned before. He has this weird ridge of fur running along his spine. With his coloration, it almost reminding me of the markings on a donkey's back.

The second is of him sort of full length. The angle lends to some distortion as his head isn't quite a big as it appears. I was trying to get him laying down & stretched out but he wouldn't cooperate. He also likes to lay on his back, paws in the air, when he sleeps--just like a dog. Haven't seen any of my other bunnies do this.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cadbury 20 July 2014 001.jpg
    Cadbury 20 July 2014 001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 684
  • Cadbury 20 July 2014 002.jpg
    Cadbury 20 July 2014 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 684
Bandits Bunny Farm":1gmrpfj7 said:
Dood":1gmrpfj7 said:
Bandit's Bunny Farm":1gmrpfj7 said:
He dont look mixed to me.
What breed do you think he is?

Either Mini or French Lop. He's definitely too big to be a holland

If he is longer and wider than the owners New Zealand then he is also too big to be a Mini Lop which range from 4 to 6.5 pounds.

Here is a picture of a show winning French Lop (from : http://m.rockcastlerabbits.com/site/mob ... rk=fw#0112) - notice the dense roll back fur, round frame, heavy bone structure and blocky head and they should weigh over 10 pounds

And a show winning Engligh Lop (from : http://m.mybunniesgalore.com/site/mobil ... rk=fw#2101) - a unique "roman nose", a mandolin/semi arch body shape and fly back fur and they should weight over 8 pounds.

The rabbit in question looks to have fly back fur, a relatively long body and a narrow long nosed head which are found in English Lops but he doesn't look like a purebred one of these either - mainly he lacks the mandolin body shspe and his ears are way too short :) which is why I believe him to be a ELop cross - perhaps a by product of a velveteen lop breeding project :shrug:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 666
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 665
There's nothing "mini" about him. I'll try to get a weight. Not sure if this will work, but will have Hubby hold him while Hubby gets on the digital bathroom scale. Not sure if it will weigh anything less than 10#

:lol: There's nothing "mini" about a mini lop either. They're almost as big as a French. The scale idea works to get you pretty close. I use to do it myself until I bought some. So how old is that cutie?

A little over a year old. His former owners got him May 1, 2013 when he was about 6 weeks old. So I'm assigning him the same birthday as Hubby--March 20. I figure that's close enough, & easy to remember.

He's a real stinker. Loves hanging outside with the ladies. And definitely fully equipped. His habit of sleeping on his back leaves no doubt about that.
:lol:

Back