Tropical Storm Isaac

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnelsonfla

Reaction score
Will the 2pm NOAA advisory is up and it looks like all parties in Florida and Gulf coast need to be on the look out.
I like http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/
and of coarse http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
for the latest information. At least it looks like only a Cat 1 at land fall. I normally don't board up for those. Lots of rain and wind Monday. We do get great weather before and after the storm, typically.

Right there with you Tom! We live only a few miles inland off the Gulf coast and are starting to worry. All rabbits are kept indoors because we only have a few and the heat is dreadful. Stay safe:)

Hopefully the RNC doesn't cancel. I leave tomorrow night for the RNC and Ron Paul Fesitval.

Hopefully the RNC is still on and all the Romney folks don't show up in Tampa !!! LOL

I've been through many a hurricane! Y'all stay safe!

The businesses in Tampa have been gearing up for all the business from the RNC, so I hope it doesn't all get cancelled.

If it'd get y'all some rain, I'd almost welcome Isaac. This house was built in 1949, added onto in 1976. My den is surrounded by other rooms, not windows. I've lived in it since 1994, and we only receieved minor damage from Ivan, one rotating attic ventilator (which was recovered and put back on), the tin roof over the dog run (recently rebuilt bigger and better for the rabbits AND dog) and some ceiling tiles lost to a slow but persistent leak we didn't notice soon enough. At the moment, we have enough cages to bring all the rabbits indoors, if it came to it, but this far NW, I think we are only going to get a lot of rain. On the other hand, my son is in Melbourne FL (east coast) and my niece gets married next Saturday in Gainesville! So, let's hope Isaac gets pushed REALLY hard by that "dry front" coming from the midwest, and piffles out in the Atlantic!

So we got over 15" of rain in our area, lots of flooding even in neighborhoods that don't flood. I was just watching noon news and even thou surface winds are still 70mph they are calling it Hurricane Isaac(hurricanes are over 74mph). They have found Cat 2 winds higher up (Cat 2 being over 96mph) they have a lowest pressure ever by a Tropical Storm at 976 mB. It has also slowed down so I am sure it will drop atleast 12" of rain there. It is to travel north then east so parts of the midwest will get much needed rain, hopefully it moves fast enough to not flood anywhere.

Stay safe and I hope you don't get to much damage from the rain or winds. I remember walking to my car in floodwater from a tropical storm. It was scary for someone who wasn't raised in the south. all I could think was snakes and alligators. lol

tm_bunnyloft":2ncpb1kk said:
all I could think was snakes and alligators. lol
The thing is... what a lot of people don't think about when they wander around in floodwaters down here is the floating balls of live, angry fire ants!

My dad would actually go out into the flood waters with a bottle of liquid dish deterrent and look for them. Once you break the surface tension of the water, they drown. It was one of his most favorite things to do. Find an ant raft, pour dish liquid on it, and watch them sink. :roll:

The only problem is that if you miss one of those balls, and it just touches you, all of those ants will suddenly be ON YOU. And guess who they're going to blame for the flood.......

Miss M":9udfuga9 said:
Find an ant raft, pour dish liquid on it, and watch them sink. :roll:

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa! Die, wee fiery beasties, die!!! :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":eqmv2as3 said:
Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa! Die, wee fiery beasties, die!!! :twisted:
It is immensely satisfying. (Yes, I have done it myself.) :twisted:

Found this and shamelessly stole it:

Top Ten Reasons Hurricane Season is Like Christmas

10. Decorating the house (boarding up windows).
9. Dragging out boxes that haven't been used since last season (camping gear, flashlights).
8. Last minute shopping in crowded stores.
7. Regular TV shows pre-empted for "specials".
6. Family coming to stay with you.
5. Family and friends from out-of-state calling.
4. Buying food you don't normally buy ... and in large quantities.
3. Days off from work.
2. Candles.

1. And the number one reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas... At some point you know you're going to have a tree in your house!

Talk about black humour! :roll:

The tornado that hit the Peterborough, Ontario area in the 90's brought down a huge old basswood tree that was a few feet from the back door. The storm just twisted it out of the ground like it was a carrot. It made a crash like the end of the world. Good thing it fell away from the house... or I would not be here now. What a weekend to choose to visit my Dad... but on the other hand, it's just as well I was there.

I hate extreme weather.

MaggieJ":38sr6618 said:
Talk about black humour! :roll:

The tornado that hit the Peterborough, Ontario area in the 90's brought down a huge old basswood tree that was a few feet from the back door. The storm just twisted it out of the ground like it was a carrot. It made a crash like the end of the world. Good thing it fell away from the house... or I would not be here now. What a weekend to choose to visit my Dad... but on the other hand, it's just as well I was there.

I hate extreme weather.

That was the only tornado I have ever been in. I can't say I miss Peterborough all that much. Never did have great memories of it. Aside from the Friday concerts at the lake front.

A long way from Peterborough to Texas, raetcd! Peterborough is very much small town Ontario. My Dad lived in Bridgenorth, by the Chemong Lake causeway. Just on the edge of the tornado path... but it was bad enough.

It looks like it might be attempting an eyewall replacement! I've seen that once before close to land... can't remember which storm it was.

Miss M":6eqcer1e said:
It looks like it might be attempting an eyewall replacement! I've seen that once before close to land... can't remember which storm it was.

I sort of know what you mean, but I have never heard the term before: just imagined the hurricane in the optometrist's office!

dragonladyleanne":1ohmwy6i said:
I sort of know what you mean, but I have never heard the term before: just imagined the hurricane in the optometrist's office!
:lol:

An eyewall replacement cycle is something you usually see on stronger hurricanes, in which the eye will contract and contract until it is too small to allow the storm to continue strengthening. So the storm will develop a second eyewall outside the first, and it looks like there's a donut in the middle of the storm. The first eye will collapse, leaving a larger eye. Then the storm is free to continue strengthening, and that eye will slowly grow smaller.

Occasionally, in a weaker, less organized storm, you will see a broad eye, and a smaller eye will form in the middle, while the storm tries to fill in the difference. It doesn't usually work well, and it didn't work with Isaac.

By the way, I am no tropical system expert, and my thoughts (especially that last paragraph) could certainly be faulty. That's what seems to be happening to me when I see it, but I could be wrong. I'm much more confident of the first paragraph.

I've been through a couple of them, Danny and Georges, with Georges being the absolute worst of the two. I feel for the folks on the coast whenever one of these things is about to hit. The power of the winds and the amount of rain which falls is absolutely unimaginable until you've experienced it firsthand.

For any of you who find yourself having to make plans due to the storm, best of luck to you and yours. Keep us in the know about what is going on.

Latest posts

Back