trimming nails

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopsofun

Reaction score
I purchased a new brood doe yesterday and her nails are really long. My daughter and I don't like handling her due to the extra long, bear-like nails. Is the quick gonna be further out on these long nails? She is a chestnut agouti and has darker nails, so it is harder to see.

I've noticed that from the underside of the nails for some animals, two ridges form and touch the nail again where the quick has stopped. But, I can't say if that's true or not for rabbits.
Just trim a little off of one nail at a time. Once you do hit the quick, you'll have a length to go with for the other nails.

ChickiesnBunnies":fxwpp6jw said:
I've noticed that from the underside of the nails for some animals, two ridges form and touch the nail again where the quick has stopped. But, I can't say if that's true or not for rabbits.
Just trim a little off of one nail at a time. Once you do hit the quick, you'll have a length to go with for the other nails.

That's what I do. I'm such a novice in trimming nails and worried about hitting the quick that I do nails that way. It's really helped my rabbits deal with nail trimming because I am doing it all the time. I know it might be too much but it does help a novice trimmer like myself and also the rabbits have settled down with the trimming because of doing it so often.

Karen

Oh, first try to 'hypnotize' the rabbit by laying it on your lap on it's back. Many will just zonk out, then you can usually work with the front feet freely. The back feet can be a little more sensitive, either way, do it in a closed room just in case.

ChickiesnBunnies":1r1z48sk said:
Yes, for the most part, and sometimes where the nail begins to curl, and sometimes where the nail narrows on the underside.

One thing I've found that works is to measure a finger width from the base of the nail, the quick is seldom that far down. I do this with dogs all the time and it works
It doesn't have to be a really accurate measurement either :)

Latest posts

Back