Traveling with a rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
I have mentioned before we will be traveling at Christmas and plan to take our rabbit with us. It's really our only option. We have no one here who can keep him and don't want to just have someone come and feed him for 2 weeks (that's a long time stuck in a cage for a rabbit that has freedom most of the time). So anyway I am wondering if a cage like this would work for in the car for traveling. The cage we have now is just too big for traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/YML-20-Inch-Anima ... ravel+cage

This would allow him to potty more than the pet carrier we have.

Krsity

Of course I don't know precisely where you live, but some organizations offer boarding for rabbits.

The first one on the list is the House Rabbit Society. Although their political agenda isn't for everyone (it's not for me!), their care of rabbits is excellent. This page shows their boarding rates in the San Francisco area. I hope the rates would be less in Virginia, at least away from the DC area.

Pender Exotics Veterinary Centre of Fairfax and Chantilly offers rabbit boarding. You may need to email or phone them for an estimate; rates don't seem to be available on their website.

K9 Kuts Grooming offers rabbit boarding to "Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County including Spotsylvania, Thornburg, Chancellorsville and Lake Anna as well as the zip codes of 22401, 22407, 22408, 22534, 22553, 22565."

There are LOADS of other providers, too. I found Pender Vet and K9 Kuts Grooming by searching on the phrase "rabbit boarding Virginia."

Maybe this can be a solution, or perhaps a trusted friend is looking for someplace quiet during the holidays and would like to stay at your house? You have time to introduce your rabbit to the friend and show the friend how to care for the rabbit. :)

I traveled from Michigan to California with two GPs and a rabbit. I had a hatchback type vehicle and just put down disposable bed pads and a litter box in the back of the car. They did great this way. Best of luck.

My concern is space. We have a minivan but we have 4 kids and lots of stuff. We live very far from DC, Fredericksburg. We are in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. :(

I wouldn't go with a wire sided cage in case the rabbit misses the litter box or sprays your car :) good luck getting that out :lol:

I would use a plastic sided dog crate with a piece of AstroTurf (washable) on the floor so he doesn't slip around. This crate will also block sunlight, wind or rain and prevent other animals, or kids, from being able to pester the rabbit and block most if the rabbits views so he'll be less likely to get startled.

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.c ... lInCA%2FNo

albrst":1yvp0n73 said:
My concern is space. We have a minivan but we have 4 kids and lots of stuff. We live very far from DC, Fredericksburg. We are in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. :(

If you have a veterinarian, call him/her and see what's available, either from that vet practice or maybe from one of the vet techs as a private service. I was astounded several years ago to find out just how many of the vet techs at the two practices I had to use then offered cat- and dog-sitting on an individual (rather than group) basis. Not one of them advertised, either; with a full-time vet-tech job, only two or three additional animal commitments was enough to keep them quite busy.

Maybe that will work?

Okay, we have a small dog crate. That's what I brought him home in. My concern was him pottying in it. This will be a long trip in the car from VA to TX and back. I just don't know what to do. We hate to leave him. He's our only pet, still scared of my kids but finally feeling like he likes us, lol. I hate to leave him somewhere caged up for 2 weeks. I will call around and see what I can find out. I am just so picky about him, haha. I keep his cage super clean, baby him a lot and well, he's our only pet, we treat him like most do dogs and cats.

:(

Dood":3jjy0m2l said:
I wouldn't go with a wire sided cage in case the rabbit misses the litter box or sprays your car :) good luck getting that out :lol:

I would use a plastic sided dog crate with a piece of AstroTurf (washable) on the floor so he doesn't slip around. This crate will also block sunlight, wind or rain and prevent other animals, or kids, from being able to pester the rabbit and block most if the rabbits views so he'll be less likely to get startled.

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.c ... lInCA%2FNo

My concern was him pottying in it.
He might, but I assumed you'd have a litter pan in it and he should do his best to use it. If you put in a towel/wood chips/paper towels then have an Astroturf mat over that the urine should drip right through and keep him mostly dry.

The animal crate we have is too small for a litter pan. It's a very small animal crate.

Dood":2rwxm2hb said:
My concern was him pottying in it.
He might, but I assumed you'd have a litter pan in it and he should do his best to use it. If you put in a towel/wood chips/paper towels then have an Astroturf mat over that the urine should drip right through and keep him mostly dry.

Latest posts

Back