TRANSPORTING QUESTIONS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If you had to put a rabbit in the back of a truck to haul them home what is the safest way that you would do it. I understand that some of you may never even consider something like this an option but I am looking for answers. Thanks :)

I used to haul them back and forth from the stable and our condo in the back of my s10 all the time. I just stuck them in a standard wire with metal tray base rabbit cage, packed it with hay, and if necessary tied it against the side. Never had a problem. Cat carriers with towels work too if you run out of rabbit carrier space.

How far of a distance? I am thinking safe for several hours of travel. I just didn't know how detrimental being in a bit of wind from being in the back like that. Although it's not as much as if they would be strapped to the top! :p

My concern would be the stress.

Along with enough hay or straw to burrow into i would securely wrap the cage in a sheet (not plastic) and/or would give them the option of a wood house or 5 sided nest box to escape the wind and hide.

this time of year, and where your located (cold) just tarp them and they should be fine, straw would be a great idea, 1 as a way to hold body warmth and 2 as a shock absorber LOL, hauled mine all the way from southern california to oregon with no problem. just block the wind and you're good.

We wouldn't do it this time of year in the cold we have, but more thinking during the warmer months. I would probably use something more like a blanket or sheet vs a tarp. I would think the noise of a flapping tarp would't be too nice.

I would think the cold would be better than the warmer months, I would worry about them overheating under a covering.

Latest posts

Back