tractor supply Pa

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlysue

Reaction score
The tractorsupply in PA has bunnies.the sign says you must buy two because of Pa rules.What!is this something new.last year you could buy one.

Sounds as though they swallowed the,"You need two so they can keep each other company", line. I thought only pet shops did that.

Thanks, because the sign stated is was a state policy.I dont need anymore state policies.we already have the 8 weeks law.

now.. you can write your state rep and ask him about it. Having a two rabbit minimum law would be detrimental to rabbit sales, and I would expect that pet stores and breeders would have a bit of a fuss up about such a law.

perhaps it is the fact that Chicks must be sold in groups (for their own safety)TSC may have decided that baby bunnies probably need tofollow the same type of rules-- Just over the border, here in Ohio, TSC sells single bunnies-- local law states no animal under 8 weeks of age00 so I am wondering how new chicks are legally being sold, other than the fact that this is a rather agricultural area, and perhaps the city is overlooking its own rules....
funnu. Pa has a law about selling barbed wire-- so the residents come here to buy it!!!

I talked to the manager at our TSC and he said it had to do with pet sales. They are selling rabbits as livestock, not as pets. So if you want to raise livestock, you have to have at least 2. Now, whether someone sexes the kits they have in there and makes sure you get one of each sex, I didn't ask. Maybe they want to discourage spur-of-the-moment pet buyers.

That's weird. They are selling rabbits at the local TSC here and it didn't say anything about buying two or more at a time. It did say you had to purchase chicks as a lot though.

Even though they let you buy them one at a time apparently, the rabbits look like they were between 4-6 weeks old tops and were huddled into the back corner of the water trough they were housed in. I imagine many of them will die simply from the stress of the environment/travel/etc. so young. :(

Lauren

yanni":108nc5t1 said:
I talked to the manager at our TSC and he said it had to do with pet sales. They are selling rabbits as livestock, not as pets. So if you want to raise livestock, you have to have at least 2. Now, whether someone sexes the kits they have in there and makes sure you get one of each sex, I didn't ask. Maybe they want to discourage spur-of-the-moment pet buyers.

That doesn't make much sense to me. It implies the rabbits I am purchasing are my only ones. Suppose I have half a dozen does at home but my buck died and I want to purchase a replacement?

I thought it was a little strange, too. I wonder if it's only PA? Maybe there is some hidden reason we can't fathom. They sure are moving the bunnies, though. I go in there often and they either have no rabbits or all new ones. So far I haven't seen any in there that are all that.

Does that 2 rule apply to ALL livestock then? And Maggie is bang on there with the fact that one MAY have others at home already.... I think this store needs to be challenged some more on their "policy"... methinks :)

Who knows why they do things, but the breeds of bunnys available in my tractor supply are Holland lops,fuzzy lops and mini rex.Hardly meat breeds.I actually sell most of my rabbits out of state at shows.

TSC gets their rabbits from local breeders the manager makes a deal with, at least in Virginia. Here, there is no minimum, there is a 6 chick/duck minimum though. Chicks/ducks come from major hatcheries, usually cheaper than having them sent hatchery to you, weird. But yes, tsc is more of a FARM STORE not a cutesy suburbs pet store. I never see your average locals[ppl from cities or suburbs], just tons of farmers. FHC is even more just for farmers, they also mix their own feed.
I do not see a problem with any kind of minimum for these farm stores, if you want pets or quality breeders for show/pet, then don't get these rabbits.

I hate that they sell bunnies at all. Seems to me instead of making the 'must buy 2' rule they need to make a rule of 'must spay or neuter'.

I asked my local TSC guy when I bought Rascal-- and they said the people in PA ar 'really weird" oh-kay....

Here, the TSC is located in an area where the local zoning says no chicks or bunnies are to be sold before 8 weeks of age..... The signs on the troughs say the critters are being sold for Ag purposes only-- so I guess that is how they get around it....

Latest posts

Back