Took some pictures in the barn today.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Hubby finished up installing our barn fans last night, so I went out this morning to take a few pictures. We set them up so there is one coming from the side, and one from the front. The air flow from the two fans cross each other, hit the walls, and bounce back, creating lots of movement! They still work great, even though we haven't used them for 4 years! :) They have speed control, so we can control just how much movement we put out. We decided against using air conditioning, and opted for these fans, thinking it would be the safest way to go.

_GLB8774.jpg

_GLB8777.jpg

The stacked set up will be moving into our quarantine area in the garage, and we'll be adding more of the 24x36 cages. Neither one of us likes the double stacked cages. This summer we will be going through, and adding concrete to the barn, and insulation, as well as some additional ventilation.

_GLB8808.jpg

Julie.

_GLB8790.jpg

Our NZ buck, JJ, not exactly happy to be photographed. :lol:

_GLB8795.jpg

Our senior CA buck, Uncle Buck, or, U.B. for short. :lol:

_GLB8807.jpg

Just a couple more of the set up. There's a few things we'd like to change, but it works great for now.

_GLB8785.jpg

_GLB8788.jpg

Thank you! :D Yes, fairly new, we just started our rabbit venture in February. It all happened so fast we didn't have alot of time to plan, so we've been changing things as we go, things that didn't work for us before.

ladyhen":16y0rqtg said:
What kind of camera do you have? Great pics!

Thank you! :D I have a Nikon D700.

__________ Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm __________

Frosted Rabbits":16y0rqtg said:
Talk about dropping pans!!! Don't let those things fill up or your backs will break!

Nah, :lol: I clean 2x a week, so they don't get a chance to fill up. We actually bought these because they are light weight, and CHEAP!!!! Menards......$10!

Very nice!is it concrete floor?

Thank you! :) No, not concrete, but it's not sand either. I forget what it's called........I want to say quarry wash. It packs down kind of hard once you put it in, but it's still easy to dig out if need be. This summer we are going to be adding concrete to build up the floor height to fill in the gaps under the doors. That will hopefully help keep critters out, keep the barn more secure, and keep more of the heat in once we insulate.

ladysown":3lgdadf3 said:
very nice, make sure you keep those fans good and clean, prevent barn fires. :)

Thanks ladysown! :) Will do with the fans, and a good reminder! I'm actually very careful....anal.....about stuff like that. We had a close call in the barn over the winter, and thanks to daily checks, I caught it early. When we got our rabbits in february, it all happened so fast, it was winter, and we bought heated water bottles to keep water from freezing. Because we weren't set up properly, we had cords running everywhere for those bottles, and they were all plugged into one outlet via a surge protector. The outlet actually started to char! It could have been bad, but it was caught, and that's why you see outlets on top of each cage now. :lol: Thank goodness I have a very supportive, and very willing husband! I don't know if he does it because he feels it needs to be done, or just to keep his wife quiet! :lol:

Question... I notice you have wood for part of the cage, doesn't it absorb urine and hold the smell?

I really like the set up over all.... It looks great and clean!

KatzNetherlands":1u9azp8n said:
Question... I notice you have wood for part of the cage, doesn't it absorb urine and hold the smell?

When he first started making the cages, he set the cage back (which is wood) on the outside of the frame, and that exposed that piece of wood frame on the very back of the cage, under the wire. That is where the problem is, because the little kits are so small, all the urine collects there, and puddles, and yes, does smell. But, they were his first ones, and it's all a learning experience as we go along. If there's just an adult in the cage it's not an issue, so we use those ones for adults only. He quickly realized what was wrong, and then started to put the wood on the inside so it's not an issue. Putting wood on the back was a way to cut down on cost, since we couldn't find used cages, and buying/shipping was to costly. Now, the cages he's building, he's using wire all the way around, with wood frame, but building in urine guards around the back and side frames. The wood we use is all free, stuff he brings home from work, so we use it. It's sturdy. Eventually when he get's caught up building, he'll start to tear apart those one's he put the wood on the back, and add wire to the back, and urine guards.

We learn as we go, but the setup works great for us! I'm just so thankful to have a hubby who is so willing, and supportive! :D

Free is good. I have a large garden so I love it when the manure bin fills up. Seems I can always use more.

Thank you! :) No, not concrete, but it's not sand either. I forget what it's called........I want to say quarry wash. It packs down kind of hard once you put it in, but it's still easy to dig out if need be.

would it be called "screening" or "crush" or "manufactured sand"?

Thank you! :D

Yes tailwagging! Screening! Thank you! :lol:

Latest posts

Back