To the large rabbitry owners out there...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you are breeding for meat or laboratory use, I don't think it is possible to make a living with rabbits.

As Sky said, if you "corner the market" with outstanding animals, maybe... but even then you are going to need to cull (as in kill) a high percentage, simply because there is not that large of a market for pets.

This is why I chose English Angora. You can't find them for under $100 most of the time and as far as I know I am the only breeder in my state except for one very small breeder who only does 2 litters a year in extreme north georgia. I am hoping I will do well selling my babies. I guess I will know in a couple of months! I also get a little bit of extra income from selling their wool. One harvest from a rabbit is about $10-$30 depending on the amount and quality/color. I sell it on ebay. Each rabbit can be harvested every 3 months. I have 6 breeding angora as well as two pets so this really helps out on the feed cost for these guys.

skysthelimit":29xd843n said:
BunnyGirl":29xd843n said:
So whats the way to make the most money without selling the rabbits for meat? Breeding for show quality?

Unless you are showing a lot, and winning a lot, and you corner the market on a breed, this is not a likely solution. Not to mention the highest percentage of kits in the litter will still only be pet quality, most of the time.

I agree. When I look at a pedigree I check for the wins of the rabbits parents,grandparents, and so on, I get them looked over by other breeders/judges. I want to see that the breeder is doing well with their rabbits too. I also look for well known breeders on the pedigree. I only make enough to buy food, supplies, and another rabbit here and there. I also butcher any extra's now and then, so I get a few meals too. I doubt I would ever make a living off these guys with shows being a factor too: entry fees,gas,food,wear and tear on the car....

LindseysWoolies":2u3j15ny said:
this really helps out on the feed cost for these guys.

And that's the plan. I am not so interested in making money as I am in making something that helps the upkeep. One show/pet rabbit will feed the entire herd for a month. A litter of meat rabbits will do the same, and that will also reduce the amount of mouths to feed. That would be good enough for me.

I show and i dont break even on rabbit sales.The percentage of show quality babies isnt high enough.I got three really good show quality babies this year.out of over twenty does.my best doe who has several legs produced junk.i dont know one person who makes a living from rabbits.

Im not making much on mine right now but Im a relatively small set up. BUT I do love my rabbits and its a hoppy hobby right now for me. They seem to pay for the feed and thats not such a bad thing

if and only IF you have a strong pet market where you live you can make money from selling pets. Where I live I service three large cities areas. I have people driving 2+ hours because they can't find rabbits in the pet stores up there. I have people in two cities close to me that buy rabbits.

But not everyone has that.

Show rabbits... you can make money there, but you have to put the time and effort and breeding into it to get that... and even then, around here .. many of those rabbits still only sell for $30-50. I can get that for my pet rabbits without doing the expense and time of showing AND still I get to play at showing without making it a major effort.

I have some input on sale prices, and to each their own but... I see all these mini lop rabbitries that have 50 and $75 minimum prices on up to 400-$500. I know no matter how well I do I will not ever charge over $75 for a rabbit, they are not hardy animals and I don't know to many people who want to gamble that much. The way I see it I make a little spending cash charging $10-$15 an animal and I would spend the difference in feed waiting for a buyer to come along willing to pay 50-75. I do want to improve my lines and hope I do well but I also want to help other people get involved and don't think I need to break their bank to do it. JMO

I have a fairly good size rabbitry(100 Holes). I have had to build up my market, i raise a handful of dwarf breds for show and pets, and then 3 larger breds for show/meat and then i sell so for breeders. I have manged to stay afloat, my rabbits have to be able to pay for them selfs. If i feel like im gettting to close to breaking the bank I take a load of fryers to the meat buyer acroos the state

I have the same policy, wild1, though my rabbits arn't ussually suitable for butcher and I'm only at 5 holes right now during parts of the year I can sell to the reptile crowd, pet store suppliers, and at poultry auctions/swap meets. I've only had to do this with 1 cull doe so far and the prices arn't great but I have been breaking fairly even. The are some costs, like cages, that I just accept as total loss but in general my rabbits cover most of their cost.

You can make money....but don't stub your toe. The meat rabbit market is on a very narrow line between profit and loss. It only takes one or two substandard does to reduce your overall profit margin. Once you identify them....they've got to go.

Reptile market is another excellent avenue. But, that market is only viable for a certain percentage of the year. Once the snakes go into their dormancy period...sales stop.

Sales of dressed rabbits are another option. (in some states). You need to check and find out before selling processed meat.

Breeding stock sales help. But, that market is limited to the number of interested fanciers wishing to start up a small rabbitry or those that want/need new blood in their herd.

It's not just one area that you can use to make a profit. It's seeking and finding other areas and providing the product within an acceptable price range.

grumpy.

Good point, grumpy, I think the best way to make profit is to utilize several markets. I'm looking into red worms to help with this.. I also utilize the pet, small breeder, show (4-H now and ARBA in the near future), and reptile food markets. My main fucus is as a small show rabbitry but I've also got to have avenues for my culls and being able to utilize my manure as extra income through the worms will be nice as well.

grumpy":2pi1kxmu said:
Sales of dressed rabbits are another option.

ellierabbit.jpg

Now there's an idea!

Back