Timothy Hale - Compressed bales

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
My local TSC carried compressed Timothy Hay bales this Spring, but they don't have them anymore... not even listed in the online catalog, so I have to guess they're just not going to carry them anymore. :( This is terrible since the hay seems pretty darned nice (if a little dusty) and it seems to keep very well, so far.

This would NOT be a solution for anyone with more than 'just a few' rabbits, but I've found a place to order it online. It's expensive, but far less expensive than buying those small bags of Timothy Hay sold in pet stores. I feed a mixture of Grass Hay and Timothy Hay.

http://www.midlandhardware.com/192933.html#.VX7m_vlVhBc

Marinea":2lpsfdrf said:
*sends up a silent "thank you" for her $4 a bale hay*

Susie, you can't access square bales where you are? No feed stores or local sellers?

Not Timothy Grass.

I can get 6$ bales of 'Orchard Grass', which is... well I don't know what it is. It has some red clover it in and I've heard that can mold quickly, but haven't had any issue with it (so far, not sure if the buns just avoid it or what). The hay seems somewhat of a straw-like consistency. It's really just a big field that they are haying and they probably don't even know what's in it. It isn't nearly as green and nice looking as the Timothy. :/

Yikes. We had some hay issues when we started, but I asked around for a good "horse hay" and finally found a great seller who puts up a really nice hay.

I hate that you don't have someone similar closer to you. Those costs would break us.

Marinea":272kdg03 said:
Yikes. We had some hay issues when we started, but I asked around for a good "horse hay" and finally found a great seller who puts up a really nice hay.

I hate that you don't have someone similar closer to you. Those costs would break us.

Yeah, just another reason why I can't have a large operation. I sometimes I see square bales for less, $4-$5, but they're usually not close, I only have a small car for transport and they would probably be no better than what I'm already getting and driving half an hour to save to save a dollar or two isn't worth it.

I've only ever seen two kinds of hay for sale here. Orchard grass and alfalfa. Of those two, orchard grass seems the better choice. :/

Orchard grass is a variety (or species?) of grass just as timothy is. Scientific name Dactylis glomerata (Maggie will be proud of me--or at least will forgive me for the forage post where I used the common, not scientific, names for things like Queen anne's lace) The thing is that people selling hay, like people selling rabbits, may call them anything--either because they don't know the correct name or because they think it will sell better.
We make our own hay and it is a mix of grasses, red clover, vetch and various weeds. Have been feeding it since we started with rabbits a bit over a year ago with no problems.

People that feed horses are particular about the quality of the hay they feed; Google about horses in your area. Maybe your local extension agent will give you a few names of farms where you can get good hay. Or the Farm Bureau. Or the County Fair, etc. Someone will know someone, and you'll end up with a good source for hay.

Back