Thrianta X Black Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
So I told one of my friends and a fellow Tarantula breeder about a an 'oops'
My barn rabbit got will one of my Thrianta's when she jumped out of her cage when I was cleaning

Anywho, produced some 'interesting' bunnies, namely, solid black with red ticking (what she's after)
still don't get the genetics of it, I know that the EE WW masks alot, but how do you get black with red ticking?

very interesting!
i'm terrible with genetics unfortunately. they are amazing though arent they! i just know black beats just about everything. hahahaha i dont even know what EE WW is...

hope someone genetics savvy will come along and explain :)

I would have to see a pict to see what you are talking about. Aren't thriantas agouti or tan? With the ee gene present, that could account for ticking on a black rabbit.

looks like a red steel/silver type (black rabbit with red guard hairs)

thrianta's are a gorgous deep red. no idea the genes though. i know the doe i have is gorgous deep red but alot i see pics of range from almost tawny red/tawny orange to deep like her.

oh, that could be a steel gene from the agouti, which can be hidden in that black rex as well. kind of sounds like the picture I saw of a steel agouti rex. I'm thinking Thriantas are ee to get that red color from an agouti, don't know if ee would cause that, seems like ee would cause a tort.

Here is my theory:

Good looking Thrianta's are agouti, non extension, wideband and have 3 or more Rufus modifiers. If your rabbits breed true then they likely have 2 agouti genes.

= AA ee ww +++

The black buck is self but the likely hood of him having non extension and wideband is slim, making the kits only get one of these. But he could carry steel and I agree that this gene is causing the black pigment to be extended; some steels can look very dark with minimal ticking and others can seem like agouti torts with black heads, ears and feet. The numerous rufus modifiers are probably making the few yellow pigments left in the coat turn a deep red.

= Aa Ese Ww +++

I love that theory Dood, and it sounds pretty in action. I will want some picts soon :)

Latest posts

Back