Three rabbits with injured feet.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I have three rabbits with varying degree of trauma to their toes and feet. I am treating them with peroxide and neosporin. I am considering putting duramycin, a broad spectrum water soluble antibiotic in the three injured rabbits water. Is this advisable?

Not a big antibiotic person myself. Only had to use it one time with my DM Lion head buck when he got "Wry neck". I can understand why you would want to put a broad spectrum in the water of these poor rabbits. Stress can lower the immune system as well as injury. And what they went through is definitely stressful. But maybe something like this:

ECHINACEA -Immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic. In the lower doses it’s the stimulant and in higher doses acts as an antibiotic. Anti-inflammatory with anti-viral properties

Found the info on this site.

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... dherbs.php

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer, but I try not to give antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary. Use echinacea myself.

So sorry you and your rabbits had to go through this. Some people are just so careless and thoughtless about their animals.

Karen

can not advise you one using the antibiotics. If you do use them though, you need to make sure you give the rabbits probiotics, at the same time.

I did decide to go ahead and treat them for a few days with the duramycin. I do feed a supplement daily that incoporates probiotics.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm __________<br /><br />
ZRabbits":2vdzv1v0 said:
Not a big antibiotic person myself. Only had to use it one time with my DM Lion head buck when he got "Wry neck". I can understand why you would want to put a broad spectrum in the water of these poor rabbits. Stress can lower the immune system as well as injury. And what they went through is definitely stressful. But maybe something like this:

ECHINACEA -Immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic. In the lower doses it’s the stimulant and in higher doses acts as an antibiotic. Anti-inflammatory with anti-viral properties

Found the info on this site.

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com

Karen

I appreciate the link and I will definatley research it.

Continuous or over use of peroxide can actually kill new tissue trying to grow, try to limit or dilute your peroxide. Try alternate cleaning methods instead like iodine scrub ( different from solution in that it has soap included ) and water, instead.

How's your rabbits doing? Hope they are getting better and have settle back down after the trauma they endured.

Karen

There is this stuff called cut heal that is amazing for keeping wounds on horses from getting infected. I picked up a new OTTB last week and first thing he peeled back part of his forehead. I put cut heal on it and its almost healed. I wonder if there is cut heal for small animals. It would be worth its weight in gold. :)

__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am __________

http://www.horse.com/item/cut-heal-mult ... SLT170387/

__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am __________

(Cut-Heal Animal Care) All-natural treatment for wound care. Creates a protective barrier, cleans the wound, aids rapid healing and minimizes proud flesh and scarring. Discourages licking of wounds and biting by flies. Useful on all species of animals for major and minor wounds.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:53 am __________<br /><br />this site shows they even have a product for healing diabetic wounds. Awesome!! I knew I liked this stuff for a reason.
http://www.cut-heal.com/index.html

ZRabbits":zb1cv097 said:
How's your rabbits doing? Hope they are getting better and have settle back down after the trauma they endured.

Karen

The injured rabbits are healing nicely Karen. Everything is starting to get back to normal in the rabbitry. I should be having Folrida White litters today and tomorrow.

Thanks for asking!!

tm_bunnyloft":1tcbc5qg said:
There is this stuff called cut heal that is amazing for keeping wounds on horses from getting infected. I picked up a new OTTB last week and first thing he peeled back part of his forehead. I put cut heal on it and its almost healed. I wonder if there is cut heal for small animals. It would be worth its weight in gold. :)

__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am __________

http://www.horse.com/item/cut-heal-mult ... SLT170387/

__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am __________

(Cut-Heal Animal Care) All-natural treatment for wound care. Creates a protective barrier, cleans the wound, aids rapid healing and minimizes proud flesh and scarring. Discourages licking of wounds and biting by flies. Useful on all species of animals for major and minor wounds.

__________ Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:53 am __________

this site shows they even have a product for healing diabetic wounds. Awesome!! I knew I liked this stuff for a reason.
http://www.cut-heal.com/index.html

Not sure how advisable it is, but I remember my dad used Cut N Heal on everything and everyone. I don't think we ever had a thing of Neosporin when I was little, just a bottle of Cut N Heal. It does work pretty well, but it stinks (or at least it did)

The company says its all natural and safe for all animals. Idk it does stink some but works amazingly....

6riversfarms":2fq4q8nq said:
ZRabbits":2fq4q8nq said:

Karen

The injured rabbits are healing nicely Karen. Everything is starting to get back to normal in the rabbitry. I should be having Folrida White litters today and tomorrow.

Thanks for asking!!

Truly glad to hear. Thanks so much for the update. Fingers crossed for easy deliveries and healthy kits!

Karen

What is the difference between "Cut N Heal" and "Bluecote"?

Well the rabbits are doing fine. All the injuries have healed nicely. The Florida Whites did not kindle. I don't know what I was feeling when I palpated, guess I need more practice. I am getting a new senior FW buck next week so maybe we can get the show back on the road.

6riversfarms":1976fz36 said:
Well the rabbits are doing fine. All the injuries have healed nicely. The Florida Whites did not kindle. I don't know what I was feeling when I palpated, guess I need more practice. I am getting a new senior FW buck next week so maybe we can get the show back on the road.

Glad to hear everyone is healed nicely. So sorry to hear about the "lack of kits" with your FW's. Can't wait to hear about your new Senior FW buck. Hoping he helps you get the show back on the road.

Karen

Latest posts

Back