This might hurt a little?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearmpr

Reaction score
I have New Zealand females (5months) and I just aquired a male Flemish giant who is also 5months (about 10lbs) and not quite breeding ready either. However when they finally reach maturity, do y'all think it'll be ok to breed a male Flemish giant with a female New Zealand, and/or will the babies be too big to birth?

The female has more impact on size so it's *usually* OK. I've crossed mini and dwarf breeds and had a mini Rex bred by a new Zealand sized breed without problems. However there is more risk. It would not be a good idea to cross an important doe to a much larger buck just for the hell of it.

Miss M":9s5m0bkn said:
I don't think so... NZs aren't wisps by any measure. I think she'd be fine. Just watch, to make sure he's being normal with her. :)

Good good, I'm glad to hear that. I've had cows die from calving calfs who were too big. I just don't want that to happen with my rabbits

Mating is not usually the problem. The opposite with small bucks and big does is a lot more difficult. The risk lies with kindling and properly feeding the offspring. Size of kits and size of litters is mostly determined by the doe but there is some risk.

akane":iq4xj5uj said:
Mating is not usually the problem. The opposite with small bucks and big does is a lot more difficult.

I'll jump in here and say that the way I read this was the actual act of breeding isn't a problem for big bucks/small does, while it is difficult to achieve with something like a Mini Rex to an English Lop. (Not dangerous, just difficult)

But sounds like your experience with cattle has you set right Gearmpr. Just like other livestock, a big male mated to a small female runs the risk of Dystocia.

Although sad cases happen, sad cases can happen with any breed and any breed-crossing. But in the case of Flemish to NZ, that is done frequently and with few birthing disaster horror stories. Like Miss M said, NZs are built tough and they aren't tiny by any means.

FG/ NZ crosses are fairly common.
As far as I've seen, the kits often grow well, but never reach anywhere near the adult size of FGs. They are just...typical meat kits, which a good sized NZ doe can easily handle.

Back