This doe does NOT understand the concept of a nest box!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phacelia

Reaction score
My Creme d'Argent doe is due tomorrow, and she is still struggling with this nest box thing.

She had her last litter on the wire after insisting on building her nest in the cage corner; after I repeatedly picked up her nest, placed it in the box, and moved the box to that spot.

She of course, had the kits on the wire, scattered all over. I placed the kits in the box, and even though she spent a lot of time lounging in there, they never looked fed, even after 3 days (I tried fostering them but they didn't make it).

This time, besides scooting the nest box all over the cage and tying to build a nest on the floor, the box has become her own personal toilet (I'm' not talking just a few berries, but totally saturated with urine and poop). I replaced the material yesterday and moved the box to the opposite side, thinking I must have had the nest on her potty side. This morning she was lounging in it and had soiled it again.

:groooan:

I'm not too optimistic about this litter either. I'm beginning to think there is a reason Cremes are so rare. :roll:

hmm - it will be messy but I think I'd just stuff the whole dang cage with hay and let her build her burrow as she pleases. If that suits her and it works (live kits and they're fed) then I'd remove the unused areas and maybe place a box lid under the nest and eventually plop the whole thing in a nestbox if momma would let me. worry about crawling kits though - would have to prevent issues with that.

The corner she picks, can you put up 2 sides to make it into a square? If not, go with the hay all over and let her choose and help mound them in one place if need be...

If she does it again, I'd keep a daughter (hope its not a genetic linked trait with that line) and move her on. Once or twice of being a problem doe, okay will give it to them. But 3 strikes with no founded reason....I don't put up with it.

Well, I cleaned out the liner and hay AGAIN after she soiled it. This time I zip-tied the box to the floor, and covered the cage in straw. Hopefully these kits will have a chance.

Rebel Rose, I was planning on keeping one or two does from this litter, as she is my ONLY Creme doe I have at this point, and I have had one heck of a time finding breeding stock. Hopefully she doesn't turn out to be a crap mother. :(

Phacelia":30q9m9zm said:
Rebel Rose, I was planning on keeping one or two does from this litter, as she is my ONLY Creme doe I have at this point, and I have had one heck of a time finding breeding stock. Hopefully she doesn't turn out to be a crap mother. :(

Save at least twice as many doelings as you'd like to have. That way you have some wiggle room to cull hard for good mothering traits.

my Black Mini Rex doe doesn't particularly care for the nestbox (and after not using it for awhile, neither do i), and she'll just make a little nest in her favorite corner of the hutch and have her babies. She has raised 2 litters successfully by doing this.

Now she's in the colony with her 5 babies (sold Petey Bandito (Chocolate Otter.... he has his own Facebook page :lol: :lol: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009372074834&fref=ts) today!!!! I'm $21 richer :p :p), and in the colony I have 2 stalls set up so my does can raise their babies in there (I'm going to post pictures/video tomorrow), and she'll have her next litter (due May 21) in there (she loves being with her babies in there. If I take her out of there, she jumps right back in.), and hopefully raise her litter successfully

I 2nd the idea to fill the floor with straw/hay. When I raised Lionheads, I had to do this with some of the ditzy-er does. I'd throw down cardboard or the paper from feedbags to line the wire for easy rolling up& removal every few days (makes great lasagna-gardening fodder!)

Good luck, hope she is a great mom and you get MANY doe kits!

Glad to hear they can be successful without a nest box. :)

Last night I dreamed that I woke up to find her building a nest out of huge cecotropes crawling with worms. :x

Ugh. Can you tell I have some anxiety about this litter? :lol:

In reality, she was just stretched out on her new carpet of straw as if to say, "Hey, thanks for doing all the work for me."

Latest posts

Back