Thirty eight and counting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyva

Reaction score
Seems like only yesterday I was logging in to try to figure out why our two male rabbits weren't producing anything. Our rabbit count is currently at 38. Have some freezer camp candidates in about a week, at the same time another litter is due. Our champagne just kindled with 7, her first time, and our Belgian just had 10 bred to our NZ red buck. Can't wait for the wintertime work slowdown for some cage building. Rabbits are kind of like potato chips, huh?

Mmmm, chips!
They are also like bacon, there's always room for one more...lol

The litter from the Belgian and NZ are the noisiest bunch I've ever heard. Kicking the bedding up in the air and making sounds almost like new puppies. The doe stares at the nest box like it is full of monsters. She is feeding them though.

I just counted...and I can't believe how many rabbits I have.

To be fair, 2 are actually daughters. 3 are going to a new home soon. And another 14 are percolating dinners.

So of all the rabbits, only 10 are mine and staying. =D

Including the two newest litters we are at 101 with 11 staying over the winter and not counting hubs Flemmie

We were up to 19 at one point, back down to 8 right now with 1 due to be picked up this weekend and 1 I cannot decided to keep or sell. We also have 2 does that are bred due on September 2nd if they both took. Fingers crossed they did, we have a waiting list for our next few litters.

Lots of kits! 101.....wow! :p

Glad you are getting your litters finally andyva!! :)

We've been very lucky so far this year, we haven't had heat issues at all. The rain has caused us more grief than anything
That's only 10 litters for us, I think our largest was 15 but not all survived.
Most of out does have had two litters this year and that number doesn't include the lost litters from does that earned a trip to Freezer camp.

At any given time, we average around 50 rabbits. We do a 4 week breed back schedule. We have 4 working does and 3 working bucks. It always amazes me when I start counting (usually right after a couple of does have kindled). I have almost 30 in grow-out cages right now. We stopped breeding this summer, so I currently have no buns in the oven. Waiting on some cooler weather.

Sold one, down to 37. Nest box needs to go in for our NZ doe. Our Belgian crossbreds are good solid baby making machines but the 12 week grow out sure eats cage space. They seemed to grow out better when it was cooler.

Back