Their no longer breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavender

Reaction score
Hey all it's been a while since I last visited,I have 2 AC does and one AC buck, the does have each had two kindling each and they are both almost 2 yrs old. They are no longer breeding with the buck, I am wondering what could be going on? They both have had large healthy kits before. :( :?:

Well, a hot summer can sometimes turn a buck sterile but it usually goes away after a few months. Is he still mounting them or has he lost interest in the does? Or have the does declined him?

Iggy, it seems like they all have lost interest :(...he is no longer mounting and they just hang out ?

Their weight is about right from the look and feel of them, not skinny but not fat either, one of the Does does look a tad bit on the chunky side but not too bad.

What is their diet?

Vitamin A and E are important for them to stay in condition, and with this heat your rabbit pellets are going to lose those nutrients quickly. Try supplementing with fresh greens high in those vitamins. Start with small amounts if they aren't accustomed to fresh foods, so they don't get diarrhea. :)

Good sources for A are dark leafy greens, dandelions, parsley, dried apricot, carrots, and butternut squash. For E try sunflower seeds, basil and oregano, dried apricot, and spinach.

Thanks Mamasheepdog I will try those, they usually stick with the pellets, every now and then they get carrots, and I usually still can find dandelions in the yard and give them those when I collect them. So just up the vitamin A's and E's a bit more?

Lavender":1gyas623 said:
So just up the vitamin A's and E's a bit more?

I think those are the most crucial. Hopefully MaggieJ will see this soon, and have more suggestions for things you can feed. I consider her the resident expert when it comes to the feeding of greens and weeds! :)

Do they each have their own cage? If so, switch them all around then try to breed again in a day or two.
As hot as it has been, there is a good possibility that your buck is just heat sterile.

I must confess I have a colony type setup so they are housed together on a pature.<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 pm __________<br /><br />I also realized that our buck has lost the fur on his testis? No fur loss anywhere else just on that spot.

I don't think so, I palpatated their tummys gently like I've done before and have'nt felt any marbles in there.

I've never seen fur on a buck's testicles, so he is probably okay, though he may sterile from the heat. Do they dig burrows or do you use above ground shelter for them?

If they have an abundance of weeds and grasses in their pasture, they are likely getting enough Vitamin A... Though dandelion greens are good for them anyway. I'd add some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds, the kind you feed to the birds), starting with a teaspoon per rabbit and working it up to a tablespoon. You could also add ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water at the rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon.

One unusual idea that many people have been having success with is to give them a crock of Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea. We don't know why it seems to help, but many people swear by it.

None of these measures are going to help if the buck is sterile from the heat. Only time and cooler temperatures can fix that.

I've never had a colony situation really, but I have seen does sterilize a buck in a large cage, group environment.
Is that much of a problem in a colony? Of course, if you can see his testes, that might rule that out, but I've seen both dogs and cats that were sterilized that still had testes.

Well I guess they were pregnant after al!! A burrow was dug and they pushed dirt back over it for about a day, but then left it uncovered. I tried to look in there with a flashlight with no luck cause their burrow has a curve and I can't see around it :/. It's supposed to rain in 2 days what should I do? I don't want to lose the kits...that has happened before.

And thank yall for the advice you gave me!

__________ Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Congratulations on the coming litters!

I would build a "berm" of raised dirt around the burrow to prevent excess water from running into it. To protect the tunnel entrance itself from overhead rain- maybe an umbrella? :singinrain:

A bit of overhead rain shouldn't be a problem, but if you are expecting a huge downpour a cover of some sort and a berm of earth around the burrow should protect them from flooding.

Thanks Mama sheepdog, I have extra tarp would that work?? I seriously thought about digging them up carefully and putting them in a nest box but that's not a good idea is it?

Lavender":2cvfv0sf said:
I have extra tarp would that work?

Sure- as long as the doe can get underneath it to access the nest.

Lavender":2cvfv0sf said:
I seriously thought about digging them up carefully and putting them in a nest box but that's not a good idea is it?

If you do that, I would put them in a cage. But it might upset your doe and cause her to abandon them, so you need to weigh the risks. If you think they will all drowned otherwise, take the chance. Otherwise, leave them be.

Yes I'll definitely have it to where they can get to the kits, is it possible for two does to use the same burrow, it seems like at night time one goes in for a bit and then when she comes out the other goes in. It's calling for scattered thunderstorms this weekend...I would much rather not disturb the babies at all if I can.

Latest posts

Back