The most interesting pelts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing as I'm breeding meaters and colour doesn't matter I thought I'd ask here which might get the more interesting colours.

Later today I am getting a Broken Red NZ Buck and two NZ Does, one Solid Black and one Solid White.
I plan to breed my Chinchilla Flemish Giant buck to one of the does and the Broken Red to the other. Which would produce the best colour patterns? Chin to black and red to white or chin to white and red to black?

Will add photos a little later when I pick up the NZs

For colors, I'd breed chin to white this time around, and then switch it up next time :)
Just cause you never know what recessives might be carried until you try them out.

Zass":3otigv1z said:
For colors, I'd breed chin to white this time around, and then switch it up next time :)
Just cause you never know what recessives might be carried until you try them out.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking initially because I don't know that I like Chins bred to blacks but I'll try it out after these litters sometime. :)

I also have a californian I could breed the flem to after she's done with this litter...that could be curious too.

Chin to Cali (himilayan) or white (REW) will produce more chinchilla, himilayan and REW.

Red on black will likely produce a bunch of chestnuts, maybe a black and if you're lucky a tort.

You'll get more information if you breed the NZRed to the white to see if he carries something on his C-locus and if she carries something on her E-locus, like steel ;)

Crossing the chin to the black will show if the chin carries self (A-locus) and if the black has a recessive on her C-locus.

I'd switch it up in the second breeding.

Dood":2eu8dp1b said:
Chin to Cali (himilayan) or white (REW) will produce more chinchilla, himilayan and REW.

Red on black will likely produce a bunch of chestnuts, maybe a black and if your lucky a tort.

You'll get more information if you breed the NZRed to the white to see if he carries something on his C-locus and if she carries something on her E-locus, like steel ;)

Crossing the chin to the black will show if the chin carries self (A-locus) and if the black has a recessive on her C-locus.

I'd switch it up in the second breeding.

So basically I should breed :

Jack (Chin Flem) to Calypso (black NZ)
Barbossa (NZR) to Elizabeth (White NZ)

To see what they carry and then mix it up?
That would probably be more beneficial actually, to know what they carry before mixing them all up.

I'll admit, my advice was mostly based on my own desire to see chinchilla in the nestboxes. :)

Red on black will likely produce a bunch of chestnuts, maybe a black and if your lucky a tort.

or perhaps more reds. Agouti being dominant, it's just as likely as a tort if the buck has non-extension.

Zass":7yyproyc said:
I'll admit, my advice was mostly based on my own desire to see chinchilla in the nestboxes. :)

or perhaps more reds. Agouti being dominant, it's just as likely as a tort if the buck has non-extension.

Lol I'm hoping this Broken NZR buck will throw me a Solid Red Doe since that is what I was looking for in the first place but since no one seems to HAVE solid red does, ever, I got the NZR buck and two does that were offered to me for a fantastic price. They're even pedigreed (not that that's important for meat lines, and I told the lady I don't want pedigree buns but she begged me to buy em off her but it's cool for me to see what colours they came from too)

True, but they may look more like fawns/orange as the buck will have wideband which is VERY rare in other colours, but a fawn doe bred back to dad will give you your red :)

They're even pedigreed
Ooooh :D this changes things!

Give us the colour of their parents and grandparents and we might be able to get to that red doe sooner.

Dood":21i94uah said:
They're even pedigreed
Ooooh :D this changes things!

Give us the colour of their parents and grandparents and we might be able to get to that red doe sooner.

For Charles (the Broken Red Buck)
Sire : Br Red, Grand Sire: Br.Black, Grand Dam Red, GG Sire: Black GG Dam: Br. Red, GG Sire: Red GG Dam: Red

Dam: Red, Grand Sire: Red, Grand Dam: Red, GG Sire: Red GG Dam: Red, GG Sire: Broken Red, GG Dam, Red

For Piper (the REW Doe)
Sire: White, Grand Sire: White Grand Dam: White, GGSire: White GG Dam: White, GGSire: Black, GGDam: White

Dam: White, Grand Sire: White Grand Dam: Black, GGSire: White GGDam: White, GGSire: Black GGDam: Black

For Zircon (the Black Doe)
Sire: Cal, GSire: Cal GDam: Cal, GGSire: Cal GGDam: Cal, GGSire: Cal GGDam: Cal

Dam: White, GSire: White GDam: White, GGSire: White GGDam: Black, GGSire: Black, GGDam: White

The one's listed Cal are listed on the pedigree are listed as:
Color: Cal Aztec
Not sure what colour that is.
Hope that format is readable

__________ Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:09 pm __________

Charles
ax16vq.jpg

Piper
oppowo.jpg

Unable to get a photo of Zircon right now, I think she needs time to decompress. She's huffing and jumping at me and won't let me touch her. Don't plan on getting bit so I'm leaving her alone for now.

Alrighty :)

Barbosa looks like he might be an orange/fawn instead not be wideband as he doesnt look like a self and you can see an agouti pattern. There is a 50% chance he carries self and will father blacks (and maybe torts)

Unforunately since Elizabeth comes from a long line of REW there is no way to know what she also has but with a couple self blacks in her history she may carry this gene.

Calypsos pedigree is a problem - it is impossible to get a self black from breeding a Califonian(himilayan colour) to a REW :( I've never heard of a "Cal Aztec" but will look into it.

Because there are not many different colours in their histories the pedigrees are not much help and you'll just have to wait and see what pops up in the nest boxes :D

Dood":23kkqqst said:
Alrighty :)

Calypsos pedigree is a problem - it is impossible to get a self black from breeding a Califonian(himilayan colour) to a REW :( I've never heard of a "Cal Aztec" but will look into it.

Because there are not many different colours in their histories the pedigrees are not much help and you'll just have to wait and see what pops up in the nest boxes :D

I fully believe the breeder (tempted to not even call her that anymore) that I got them from meant the "Cal Aztec" as "Himilayan Marked Altex". This is exactly why I don't trust people. I can't stand when people try to bullspit their way through something they don't know much (if anything) about. She carried a disdain about not wanting to take these three to the show in Mason, MI to sell them and actually delivered them to me because I strained my back and couldn't get to her. (Spent 8.5 hours in the ER this morning thanks to my back!)

Calypso is all black but the bottoms of her feet are white. It's the cutest thing but I can't touch her without getting attacked so I'm not sure I'll have good quality photos of her. I'm fully ready to trial it all out and see what comes up. I think I won't breed Jack to Calypso because if those are Altex in her lines then adding more Flemish Giant is just going to give me bigger bunnies and I don't want bigger right now because I don't have that kind of space.

I got a good deal on these guys I paid $50 for all three of them and their papers. I assumed it was a great deal because that's almost $17/Rabbit and I was under the assumption they were all purebred "show type" NZs. She claims to show her NZs but Calypso wouldn't have that chance because she's not full NZ right? I don't know anything about show rabbits and I don't really plan to get into shows. I don't know what to think or say or anything. My feelings are flopping "meh, well isn't this typical?" to "annoyed that people can't tell the truth".

One of my pet peeves is when people use an incorrect term for a color, like "white" instead of "REW". Of course, in NZ, they are called white but I prefer to have a specific term for it. Like when people put "brown" instead of "chocolate". :groooan:

HoppinHalfPints":1kpqrocp said:
One of my pet peeves is when people use an incorrect term for a color, like "white" instead of "REW". Of course, in NZ, they are called white but I prefer to have a specific term for it. Like when people put "brown" instead of "chocolate". :groooan:

I know me too. Honestly, I do it out of laziness on the forum but on a pedigree it would be "REW", also I plan to print a blank pedigree for all three of them and rewrite them because this woman's handwriting is godawful. Obviously I'll keep the ones she gave me because she signed them and whatnot but I am re-writing for my personal sanity and records. I will also be putting the correct colours on the ones I will be filling out for these three. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 pm __________ <br /><br />
2mg5bx0.jpg

2v3jvjq.jpg

35m1wzl.jpg

Pretty rabbits!

:D

HoppinHalfPints":1wurrk59 said:
One of my pet peeves is when people use an incorrect term for a color, like "white" instead of "REW".

Interestingly, in Rex and I *think* other breeds that don't have a BEW, they are called "white" not REW.

I never thought about that. In Rex they are white. I call them REWs because I have other breeds, but they are white in Angora as well, which has only two show classes, white or colored.

skysthelimit":3mcccvva said:
I never thought about that. In Rex they are white. I call them REWs because I have other breeds, but they are white in Angora as well, which has only two show classes, white or colored.

Zircon has the ears of a Flemish Giant, I think she's going to be big. ._.' She was born in December and is about the size of Charles (formerly Barbossa, NZR)

Good News though.

Charles (Broken NZR) was bred to Piper (REW NZ) on the 8th
Jack (Chin Flemish) was bred to Pearl (Californian) on the 10th

Expecting some Solid New Zealand Reds out of the Charles x Piper breeding, expecting some interesting meaters out of the Jack and Pearl breeding. When Zircon is ready to breed I'm breeding her to Charles to decrease the size of kits (because I fear there is a lot of Flemish Giant in the Altex that were bred into her lines, breeding to Jack will give me larger kits and I am not prepared for that yet and I don't have the consumer base for that many meat kits so close together). I hope to get into Holland Lops soon, if I have a Holland Lop buck by the time she's breeding age then I'd probably breed him to Zircon.

Back