The horses

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
Apart from showing my rabbit, I also ride and train horses. I show and compete in rodeos. I barrel race, do dressage and jumping. Although barrel racing is my favorite! I actually qualified for the State Championship for barrel racing! :p The brown horse is not mine, he is a friends that I compete with, but the gray horse is mine, but she is still a baby and is too young to compete with (I am training her). Horses are my life, and I love what I do! Please do not take any of the pictures :)

ooh, your little girl is just the perfect type of dappling that I like-- good thing I don't know where you live!!!(horse thief in the making)

Beautiful!! I had a Gray American Saddlebred. Thing is the grays never start out this way and they are always changing.. my colt was born Chestnut with socks and everything.. then he started changing; boy was he uuuuggglyyy at first when he still had some of his chestnut colour.. but by the age of 5 or so he was almost completely white except for his mane which was a combo of black/grey!

I didn't see her until about 6 months ago, but apparently she was born black and by the end of her first day, she was chestnut. She was chestnut for 2 years until she shed her winter coat one year, and Ta-Da!

Thank you! She is my everything :D And I think so. Almost every white/gray horse starts off black/brown i'm pretty sure :)

no, some breeds are born their 'color' Not all Percherons turn grey, either!my uncle had a grade stallion, that at the age of 12, suddenly developed Appy spots on his rump. genetics will never cease to amaze me!! CAn you imagine a bay horse, black points and white socks, suddenly shedding out with an Appy blanket?

Your horse is gorgeous! I love the steel dapple grey color! Good luck with her, her training, and congrats on your placings!

Grey is kind of like REW in rabbits only it's not recessive. It covers other colors and washes out the coat. The foal is usually born whatever color is under the grey so a chestnut with grey will be born chestnut and a black with grey will be born black (except that blacks are not exactly born black most of the time). You can get a lot more complicated coloring under grey but it's not as common and since some other colors don't fully appear until the foal starts to shed out the grey may cover it before you realize that light bay looking foal is actually a dun. Some colors are born white or mousy grey (blacks can be described as mousy colored when born) so you may not realize your grey horse actually started out it's base color instead of just being born and staying grey.

Isn't it like silvering in the argente rabbits? they come in black base and brown, and are born dark.

Her sire is flea bitten (gray with tiny brown polka-dot looking spots). I saw a picture of him from a few years ago and he hardly had any spots, and now he is covered in them!

I think roaning would be closer to how silver works in rabbits except it comes and goes with coat shedding unlike rabbits who stay that way.

It's strange, because my Holland Lop is a sable point, and when I first got him, his points were so light they were barely noticeable. Now they are a very dark gray. I am ALWAYS thinking in horse terms, so I am finding this fascinating that he is getting darker and not lighter :)

Very pretty horse.we have an appy,a standardbred and a halflinger mix.

Appy's are the best. I had one through high school / college who was the most awesome horse ever on the planet. Sadly he foundered and had to be put down. At the moment we now have my daughter's small pony, my haflinger, my husband's belgian, and a yearling paso fino (my future riding horse). I like them all, but none hold a candle to that appy.

My best friend had a gorgeous Appy who had to be put down due to cancer. I love Paso's as well! I rode one and that was something completely different from any other horse!<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and I forgot to mention, my horse's name is Little Miss Priss aka Clover, because she was born on St. Patrick's Day! :clover: :clover: :clover:

Latest posts

Back