The chicks are arriving!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinea

Reaction score
So, we raise Orpington chickens. Right now, we have buffs, lavenders, and a generation of crosses of the two. Here are a couple of today's hatch:

Lavender

image.php

Buff x Lavender cross

image.php

buff/lavender x lavender cross:

image.php

Great!!! I was actually preparing to order 40-50 more chickens,
Wanna hand deliver some to me? I would be very grateful :D

They are adorable! :p

I love all of them, but that little Buff/Lavender is so adorable with the lighter red face!

They are all so shiny- I don't remember our chicks gleaming like yours do. :?

DBA, I think our setting hen might have something to say about hatching 50 :)

They are peeping their little heads off in the guest room. There are a few more to hatch from this bunch, and we'll get started on a second hatch. Makes me feel like spring is on the way.

Marinea":3i7h5hdj said:
DBA, I think our setting hen might have something to say about hatching 50 :)

They are peeping their little heads off in the guest room. There are a few more to hatch from this bunch, and we'll get started on a second hatch. Makes me feel like spring is on the way.

Yeah, she might feel a little hen pecked....

Aw, they're so cute! :p

Our buffs and cornish x are ~8 weeks old now, and outside, thank goodness!

I've decided that the best time to raise cornish x is fall. They can start out in the shed and move into the rabbitry, instead of starting in the house. Boy, do they stink! And then by the time they're getting really big and really stinky, the temps are cooling and making it less stinky. As it is, we're in the rainy season and it's warming, so damp and warm = stinkier than usual. But we put out a layer of leaves and a layer of shavings, and it's much better now. :) Next time, I want the cornish in their own big run.

Anyway, :eek:fftopic:

JenerationX":pgvuwkh8 said:
Looks like the lavender has a little pearl on it's beak... what is that?

That is something chicks have right after they hatch that helps them break through the egg. It is a sharp little thing called an egg beak. It falls off shortly after hatch.

cmfarm":mggutf4q said:
That is something chicks have right after they hatch that helps them break through the egg. It is a sharp little thing called an egg beak. It falls off shortly after hatch.

I thought that was what it was too. But we call it an "egg tooth".

:hmm: Chickens with teeth... now there's a a scary thought! :x

They are so cute! My chicks are 5 weeks old now and not as cute anymore, especially the meat chicks!!

MamaSheepdog":1d6o02hp said:
cmfarm":1d6o02hp said:

I thought that was what it was too. But we call it an "egg tooth".

:hmm: Chickens with teeth... now there's a a scary thought! :x

That's what it's called. I wrote that really early this morning and I thought it didn't sound quite right but didn't feel like looking the term up to make sure I was calling it the right thing.

cmfarm":2t6kubaa said:
I wrote that really early this morning and I thought it didn't sound quite right

Posting while uncaffeinated... gets ya every time. :x :roll:

Latest posts

Back