Thank God for RT

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannie

Reaction score
History: have these 2 does ~ cost $100 a piece... one NEVER a litter after 2 years (another issue)... the 2nd doe (current issue): ONE kit at a time... ugh... anywhoo... this kit (born today) was NOT in the nest, nor do I think she will have anymore, since she is a one kit a litter doe... ugh... buying a pedigreed, proven doe is not a given...

Back to the "Thank God for RT" part... since this doe is not acknowledging the kit (has a past history of this), I prepared to have other does due to kindle at the same time. If it wasn't for RT, I would not have prepared for this exact scenario. So chalk up another "kit saved" due to RT members and their advice!!

BOY you are far more patient then I would be. Two to three strikes and good bye REGARDLESS of the price tag. Not worth the feed or the frustration. I would have eaten, fed or petted them out if good tempered.

Hello jeannie,
I believe that it is time to cull your stock and start over.
The thought of someone charging you $100.00 a head
for those Rabbits is appalling! I feel your pain at the thought.
The next time you go to purchase Rabbits, if at all possible,
bring an experience Rabbit Breeder and purchase from an experienced rabbit breeder.
Before deciding on a purchase, ask a lot of questions and NEVER buy a "Pig in a POKE".
Be careful, know who you are purchasing from. Not everyone is on the up and up!
there are a lot of charlatans out there! Best of luck with your next go round.
Some Rabbit Breeders are quite nice!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Could they be over weight? Could you post a pic of them? Have us interested now. lol What kind of feed how much so on so on? How old is your buck and what kind of shape is he in? Your in a very warm temp area, What kind of housing are they in does it get above 80 where they are? Sorry for all the questions but the problems lead to a bunch of questions IMO, Would like to see if any one could help. Do you put ACV in your water? How often do you try to breed them? If any chance of a coffee table version, don't need a novel. :) <br /><br /> -- Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 am -- <br /><br /> Did you try a different buck and is it pedigreed not that it matters, Have you had any of the single kits survive? A doe maybe that could replace the pedigreed ones, guess it works if the buck was a pedigreed one. To keep them with a full pedigree. Oh, I know so many questions. Guess I woke up on the questionable side of the bed. :)

jeannie":1cwpp5jq said:
History: have these 2 does ~ cost $100 a piece... one NEVER a litter after 2 years (another issue)... the 2nd doe (current issue): ONE kit at a time... ugh... anywhoo... this kit (born today) was NOT in the nest, nor do I think she will have anymore, since she is a one kit a litter doe... ugh... buying a pedigreed, proven doe is not a given...

Back to the "Thank God for RT" part... since this doe is not acknowledging the kit (has a past history of this), I prepared to have other does due to kindle at the same time. If it wasn't for RT, I would not have prepared for this exact scenario. So chalk up another "kit saved" due to RT members and their advice!!

I kind of echo what Ottersatin said, we- who have been working with rabbits a long time, have seen this type of thing a lot-- ie; lies, over-priced breedstock, little or no production, [have been down that road my self] Once upon a time get rich quick, rabbit raising schemes promoted by charlatans, were common, now with the internet they must be more cautious, - but the crooks are still out there, --
just a word about rabbit raising, - be sure you feed and house rabbits properly to get good production, quite often people "love " their animals into obesity, or poor health, and the subsequent non production, also think about breeding your non-productive does to a proven buck, and your "fancy" buck to a proven doe to see if he has low sperm count. JMHO- if you are going to "breed" rabbits, feed a good quality pellet, and a good grass hay [like timothy, or good coastal ] and get the breeding / feeding / good condition thing mastered before you add any other feeds, [including treats, ]

Those does were my first purchases a couple of years ago. They are not old by any means. I have learned from that mistake since :) And I have enough stock now, I won't need to buy anymore (unless they are just irresistible).
I do understand the price tag though ~~ I have sold my rabbits for $100. Not all are that expensive, but some are.

They have the same food supply as my other 15 adult rabbits. Are these two over weight? Maybe, but the others don't have a problem with litters.
The buck has multiple litters in the boxes now, so I know his plumbing works!

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I have learned so much ~ including breeding multiple does at the same time, in case of emergencies.
I have kept them, mostly, for sentimental reasons, lol... but I keep giving them the chance to multiply! Annabel, the one that has one kit at a time, has the most beautiful kits ~ nice colors and great manes.
She has today to feed this lil one... *crossing fingers* ... so it's the waiting game for now.

Here are their pictures:

Attachments

• Annabel.jpg
    Annabel.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 473
  • Bella 1.jpg
    Bella 1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 473
My goodness, those don't even look like full grown rabbits! Maybe tiny rabbits don't have large litters?

Just an update: once the kit was put in the next box, she did go inside... it's been two days and the kit looks fed (she was always a good momma before). but my, that kit is tiny! doesn't look like a peanut, but likes like she only had a runt? ... time will tell.

Yes, they are dolls! they were my first purchases when I decided to go into lionheads, so yeah, they go on walk with me and love their life ~ and I am attached, lol

I have one lionhead rabbit that throws 6 kits at a time, she is the record holder. Most litters are in the 4 kit range for us.
Now, my NZ doe is another story, she has 10 kits each time!

They look so tiny, can you share a picture with something for reference, maybe your hand next to one of them or something?

Are all lionheads that small?

Back