Tennesse red / San Juan mix

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heels074

Reaction score
First off I'm really new and getting started. My intentions are to breed for meat purposes. I'm starting slow and not rushing and soaking up all info I can to learn. I got my first buck today which is a mix ( really just fell in love with the fella ) I was thinking a Rex or California doe to start with him.

My question is would this be acceptable for now and be ok for meat? Thx for help

First, welcome to RT!

I've never seen the breed you mention, but a good rule of thumb is that the doe should be around the same size or larger than your buck. People breed both rexes and calis for meat, so I see no problem there.

We love pictures here, by the way. :)

Welcome,

A Cal/Rex cross would be just fine. Both breeds are 'meat-type' rabbits and
you'd have a hybrid-vigor cross, which helps with the overall health of your
rabbitry. Most of my market rabbits are crosses because they're faster in
reaching market weight and have less issues than purebreds.

It's wise to 'start-slow' and learn as you go. Enjoy your journey.

grumpy.

Marinea":1rtuxcnm said:
First, welcome to RT!

I've never seen the breed you mention, but a good rule of thumb is that the doe should be around the same size or larger than your buck. People breed both rexes and calis for meat, so I see no problem there.

We love pictures here, by the way. :)

I've heard of both - they're bred to be training rabbits for beagles - tame enough to keep but have wild coloring and move quick like cottontails in the open.

Yes his color is just like wild rabbit . Right now my kids have him out in office playing with him. He of course won't be used for meat just offspring ( that was part of the deal with wife and kids).. I will get pics soon . He nice size for 8 mos and we will be starting on building his hutch today . Gonna build it out of pallets I picked up at work.. What an awsome journey to begin with my family!

Thanks for all the replies!! Super happy I found this site!!

Wheels":1vmxqdex said:
I've heard of both - they're bred to be training rabbits for beagles - tame enough to keep but have wild coloring and move quick like cottontails in the open.

Egad... training rabbits for beagles... :x *shudder*

Ok then... moving on...

Syberchick70":1g20sv34 said:
Egad... training rabbits for beagles... :x *shudder* Ok then... moving on...
Ya never know what's gonna show up in the
meat rabbit section. LOL..... :lol: Beware... :p

Hi Heels!

:welcomewagon:

Marinea":3hweas5l said:
I've never seen the breed you mention
Wheels":3hweas5l said:
I've heard of both - they're bred to be training rabbits for beagles
Syberchick70":3hweas5l said:
Egad... training rabbits for beagles... :x *shudder*

I'm familiar with San Juans, but haven't heard of Tennessee Reds- they sound like the rabbit version of regional cur dog breeds, lol!

Syber, the Beagles are only supposed to chase the rabbits- they aren't supposed to actually kill them. So while it is undoubtedly a bit stressful for the rabbits, they are bred for that purpose- so I would assume that they are selected to not drop dead from the stress.

Heels, I have heard that the San Juans are a a bit leaner in frame than breeds typically raised for meat. You wont get the superior feed to meat conversion of the traditional meat breeds, but we all start somewhere. :) You might want to get a doe of the same cross so you can sell to the "Beagle people" to augment your income.

As for the Rex or Cali doe- I would go with Cali for him because they tend to grow faster than Rex, and you are already compromised by the smaller/leaner frame of the buck.

However, if you intend to eventually raise purebred rabbits, go with what you love. I personally raise Rex and Satins. The Rex are incredibly sweet, but their growth rate is slow. The Satins are evil ( which is why they are also known as Satans), but grow out faster and have incredible type.

All breeds have their pros and cons, but the bottom line is that it costs just as much to raise a mediocre rabbit as it does to raise a pedigreed show winner... and you can sell purebred show rabbits for a lot more than "meat mutts".

Well mamma that certainly gives me something to think about with the purebred. I was considering Rex for the meat of course but also for the fur. We have local lumbee tribe and I was told there were somethat would but the fur to make there items they sell.

As for my mix he sure seems kinda big to me but again I'm in learning phase so he may be smaller than others

First off, Welcome to RT. Here are 2 picks and a link, does your buck look like these in the link? Most rabbits make good eating just the amount of meat you get for time spent and food used is the difference imo.

http://www.johnsdawgs.webs.com/rabbitsforsale.htm

Attachments

• San Jaun rabbit 1.jpg
    San Jaun rabbit 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Tennessee Red Rabbit.jpg
    Tennessee Red Rabbit.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 674
  • Tennessee Red Rabbit-San Juan mix.jpg
    Tennessee Red Rabbit-San Juan mix.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 674
Yes that is what he looks like.. His fur is more red down low and all grey up top

grumpy":1fnn9mny said:
Syberchick70":1fnn9mny said:
Egad... training rabbits for beagles... :x *shudder* Ok then... moving on...
Ya never know what's gonna show up in the
meat rabbit section. LOL..... :lol: Beware... :p

I know, I know... but I do find a huge ethical difference between humanely raising rabbits for meat and dispatching them as quickly and painlessly as possible, and using live rabbits to train dogs with. :x
:canofworms:

Also, a person never knows what section a post is posted in until they click on it (as they show up under the 'recently posted' scroll). I found that out when I innocently clicked on the 'bopping' thread.

I'm a big weenie when it comes to killing animals, but I eat meat and I don't condemn other people for doing it. If some of our bunnies from this last litter don't sell, within a few more weeks (grow out time anyway) I will have to seek out someone to 'process' them for me. But, I'm pretty firmly against the idea of deliberately torturing animals unless it's absolutely necessary.

That being said... I very nearly got into hunting rabbits with hawks. I have no doubt the rabbits are 'tortured' when caught by a hawk. :p I never said I am immune to contradiction.

Syberchick70":3s0adh7o said:
I do find a huge ethical difference between humanely raising rabbits for meat and dispatching them as quickly and painlessly as possible, and using live rabbits to train dogs with.

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong- not much of this type of thing goes on in Liberal California) that the rabbits are let out to hop around and find cover. Beagles are scent hounds (not sight hounds) so they are supposed to find the rabbit by tracking the scent. Of course, once they get to the rabbit, I s'pose some would "break cover" and be chased at that point. But most people start training their pups at just a few weeks old... and how much threat is a bumbling five week old pup?

Syberchick70":3s0adh7o said:
That being said... I very nearly got into hunting rabbits with hawks. I have no doubt the rabbits are 'tortured' when caught by a hawk. :p I never said I am immune to contradiction.

Lol! Too funny, ya hypocrite! :pokeeye:

Falconry is awesome! I always wanted a hawk. :D

MamaSheepdog":ywaon5x0 said:
Syberchick70":ywaon5x0 said:
I do find a huge ethical difference between humanely raising rabbits for meat and dispatching them as quickly and painlessly as possible, and using live rabbits to train dogs with.

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong- not much of this type of thing goes on in Liberal California) that the rabbits are let out to hop around and find cover. Beagles are scent hounds (not sight hounds) so they are supposed to find the rabbit by tracking the scent. Of course, once they get to the rabbit, I s'pose some would "break cover" and be chased at that point. But most people start training their pups at just a few weeks old... and how much threat is a bumbling five week old pup?

Very true... :lol: I wouldn't think that would be so terrible.
As long as they don't let them catch the bunnies. *crosses arms*

MamaSheepdog":ywaon5x0 said:
Syberchick70":ywaon5x0 said:

Lol! Too funny, ya hypocrite! :pokeeye:

Falconry is awesome! I always wanted a hawk. :D

:oops: :oops: :p

(fixed bad quote boxes)

Syberchick70":1cmf70l8 said:
As long as they don't let them catch the bunnies. *crosses arms*

I believe they avoid that at all costs. The whole point is to have the beagles hunt down dinner for their humans, NOT for themselves. So if they got into the habit of catching and mauling the bunnies that would defeat the purpose.

Now sight hounds, on the other hand, are supposed to catch and overpower the prey animal- but they are just supposed to kill it, not eat it. Greyhounds, Salukis, Whippets, etc. are sight hounds.

Nyah-hah! Here is an article about hunting rabbits with beagles:

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/h ... a_1205_05/

*Edit: if you search "rabbit hunting with beagles", a bunch of YouTube videos pop up. I didn't watch any of them, but in most you will see the hunter with his rifle... so clearly, the pooches are supposed to flush the rabbit into the open where the hunter can shoot it.

Oh- and back to the Falconry topic- I don't think that is inhumane, either. When the hawk strikes it usually breaks the prey's back or neck. Instant death.

Now owls, on the other hand, will often grab something large (like my BIL's cats) and then drop them from a height in order to kill them. :x I don't know if hawks ever do the same thing- but they might.

MamaSheepdog":1oyszok7 said:
Oh- and back to the Falconry topic- I don't think that is inhumane, either. When the hawk strikes it usually breaks the prey's back or neck. Instant death.

Now owls, on the other hand, will often grab something large (like my BIL's cats) and then drop them from a height in order to kill them. :x I don't know if hawks ever do the same thing- but they might.

I think you are correct (for the most part) about the hawks.
Shame on the owls though... as wise as they are, they should know better. :p

Digressing back to beagles and rabbits for a moment. In most cases the rabbit is so far ahead of the beagles that there's no running involved on the rabbits part. Most running by the rabbit is when it is first jumped by the dogs (breaks cover) or sees the hunter move. Mostly the rabbit is sitting and only moving when it feels pressured and then it's at a leisurely pace unless crossing open areas or as mentioned - sighting a threat.

Latest posts

Back