Teaching rabbit to pose?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
We are new to the world of showing rabbits and need some advice as far as teaching the rabbits to hold their pose or just stay in the pose they are put more than 1 second. :)

We just bought a couple Beveren rabbits that are 4 months and 6 months old. They are friendly but the Doe just wants to flatten out when on a table. The Buck wants to go explore the world at large and tries to hop away.

We are doing 1 session of posing for about 10 minutes a day for each bunny. That is besides snuggle time.

Also, do you give treats when you are working with them? The breeder really emphasized nothing besides pellets and Timothy hay or their tummies could get upset so we haven't offered anything else but I am thinking if we could offer some small treat it may make the training go easier.

I really appreciate any advice you can share.

Try and make the posing training sessions short and to the point at first. It is likely a different world for them, and they won't likely dread or fear it as much if they're intro'd in short sessions. After a few sessions, the whole routine will begin to make sense for them, they'll begin to understand what it is you're wanting them to do, and they usually take to it a bit more readily as time goes along.

Above all else, be the alpha in the whole thing. Don't let the rabbit think they can get away with unwilling behavior. Be steady but understanding is what I'm getting at.

The best method for teaching a rabbit to pose is to do it as often as possible and only for a minute or two at best. In a couple of months I can ussually have a rabbit where it will stay in pose for atleast 2 or 3 minutes. Actually had a buck once who wouldn't get out of pose as long as anyone was near the table, then again he was the first buck I ever raised from a kit and got quite a bit of attention.

Lol its funny you made this thread. I didnt know it was possible to train them to pose but i guess it is cause my little jersey wooly poses by herself when i stroke her head its so funny. Her previous owner definitely spent a lot of time with her.

I did 2 short training sessions and it went much better. I am used to showing dogs which is quite different than rabbits. I keep wanting to reach for the bait :).

Do any of you give anything to reward the rabbits when you practice with them? We are doing alot of praising and attention, just not sure what little something may be good for a food reward- like maybe a piece of clover?

Thanks you for the advice, it really helped.

Just talk to them in a praising sort of way. It tends to calm them down.

Dottie's litter was very difficult to work with. They just didn't know what to think of it, but I've been persistent & gentle, but firm. I use a very calm voice and vocalize that they're doing a good job. Today, they were all very good with being posed. They're only just over 8 weeks old.

I do not give a treat. My rabbits tend to be really picky and aren't interested unless I leave the treat in their cage. Only a few take food from my hand, although they are all friendly and love a head scratch. I just begin training them to pose when they are young. My oldest jr.buck keeper jumps into position as soon as I touch his head. He needs to be corrected here and there, but as long as I'm firm but gentle, he's happy to do what I ask. Some will try to back up,push forward,etc( my 8 week olds), but you just calmly put them right back into position. Eventually, they figure out that their antics don't work. It get easier! Be persistent :)

I also notice each litter is a bit different. Some learn faster than others,some are naturals, and sometimes they are just butt heads to pose :? I have a 2 year old that will do anything to not pose no matter how much I work with her (yet a judge can pose her perfect?! They are gods) I can tell she wasn't handled much because she also runs to the back of her cage to avoid me. She isn't mean, but grunts from time to time. Otherwise, they are all Mini Lops and all my other rabbits expect lots of head scratches and kisses.

Another thing to point out: Try not to do the handling and posing during the day this time of year. The heat is stressful enough, and the less the rabbits are handled during the hottest part of the day, the better they'll likely respond to it.

Good to know I am on the right track. I am doing what I do with dogs as far as calmly resetting them, praising and talking to them. The buck loves his fur stroked between his eyes down to his nose, he just eats up the attention.

We have been practicing in the morning and evening- they seem best in the evening. The doe was grunting at us when we first got her but I think she is settling in and has adjusted to us and her cage. I made the hutch almost too big (36"x48" and 30" high) for her and at first it was a challenge to reach her and get her out without putting my head, arms and shoulders in but she is used to it now and just lets me pick her up without trying to avoid the attention. The bucks hutch is more reasonable at 36 x 36 and it is slightly easier to take him out of the cage.

I usually take mine out at least three times a week. I do the general things that would be done by a judge. I use my grooming table the same one I take to the shows. I place the rabbit there then start just like a judge would. I check sex, teeth, nails and then place back on feet and pose them. Now you could talk to them even thou it won't happen at a show but with time most get them posing down. I normally give them a cranraisin as a treat, sometimes a sprig of parsley once they are back in cage and the session is done. I do try to keep the session short, based on the fact that at the show the handling time is less than 1 minute for the most part by the Judge.

Back