Tattoo and Carrier question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
So, we are planning to take our Buck and maybe young doe to the NJ show in Sept. What size carrier is best for a Beveren- about the same size as Americans or New Zealands? All the carriers look so small to me. I was looking on Bass here http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Carr ... fault.aspx
I was thinking of buying the one featured the 18 x 18 x 8 inch 2 hole carrier with abs tray. 8 high seems too, too small though. That doesn't stress the rabbits out? I don't even know that my water bottles would fit that, what do you all use for water and food bowls in the carrier?

Also are your rabbits traveling in those carriers or are you using bigger cages in the car and then putting them into the carrier to take inside for the show?

Tattooing. Where do I go to get this done? Eventually I'll do it myself but I'd like to watch it done at least once or twice before trying it myself and I know it needs to be done prior to the show.

Can you make an appt with a registar prior to the show and get your rabbit registered, maybe they could tattoo the other ear for an extra fee?

Sorry for all these questions but I want to make sure I am prepared for the show with time to spare.

Hello lauraNJ,
The carriers will be fine. You don't want the rabbit to have too much
room or it will be tossed about during he ride.
Rabbits are only kept in carriers for the show, this is not a bad thing.
If it's a one day show there is no need for a water bottle or feed bowl,
they will be fed when they return home. A water bottle will leak during travel
if it is attached to the carrier. They do sell smaller/shorter water bottles
which are made to fit in carrying cages.
Yes many Registrars or even a breeder in your area will/should be
glad to help you with tattooing your rabbit.
I hope this helped to ease your mind.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Snug is good, you don't want the rabbits to slide around, they can turn around easily if they need. I have coop cups that clip or lock onto the wire of the cage. Of course I don't want my show rabbits to arrive soaked, so they are given water before, and when I get to the show, unless the drive is very long, then I break and give them water. I don't carry feed for day trips, I put hay between the cage dividers.

The travel cage they come in is the cage they stay in.

You can contact a registrar ahead of time to get a tattoo, or if you are affiliated with a mentor, 4H or breed club, someone there should be able to help you. The one problem with tattooing before the show is some judges don't like the extra ink left on the ear (depending on the method of tattooing of course).

Ok, thanks for the quick answers! The show is only an hour from my house so I will just bring a crock for water, and water from home, and give him some once showing is done for the day, or if he seems thirsty at some point.

I had read about not tattooing day of show, I was thinking of calling one of the registrars near me and asking if they could check the rabbit, tattoo and register him ahead of time, weeks before the show. Do they do that or can you only use the registrar person day of show?

LauraNJ":39ogovko said:
Ok, thanks for the quick answers! The show is only an hour from my house so I will just bring a crock for water, and water from home, and give him some once showing is done for the day, or if he seems thirsty at some point.

I had read about not tattooing day of show, I was thinking of calling one of the registrars near me and asking if they could check the rabbit, tattoo and register him ahead of time, weeks before the show. Do they do that or can you only use the registrar person day of show?

You can do both. If they use a tat pen there will be no mess to worry about.

I'll call one of the registrars and see if she can tattoo and register the buck before the show.

Karen, thanks. It will be our first rabbit show so my plan is enter our Buck and maybe young doe and just to go have fun and learn as much as I can.

Most shows will have a designated registrar chosen for the show date. They will normally have the equipment in place, but like you suggested you would do, contact them and be sure they're still on for it a few days ahead of the show date. If they have to back out, it gives you the opportunity to make other plans for having your rabbits marked.

Also, take a look at Fry Equipment out of KS. Better than half my carriers came from them, and they're awesome and affordable. www.frycages.com

You're going to enjoy the heck out of that show. Bank on it!!

Latest posts

Back