Target weight chart for the midrange breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterroot

Reaction score
I've scoured the internet, but all I can find is goal weights for new zealand sized kits. Anyone got some numbers for the smaller guys? My litter of 6 FWs weighed 4 pounds at four weeks, and I plan to weigh them weekly here on out. Trying to find out where on the spectrum my little guys should ideally fall. Thanks!

Edited to add clarification -
What I'm looking for, specifically, is ideal weights for the smaller meat rabbits, week by week from 3-4 weeks until processing time. Example : at 3 weeks, they should ideally average x pounds. By five weeks, they should ideally average x pounds. Etc.

I'd say you're on target then since 5 pounds at 8 weeks is the grail most are looking for.
I may have to meet you at a show for a doe since you're just on the other side of the border, I'd like those sort of growth rates in my herd

bitterroot":1fuer14h said:
Anyone got some numbers for the smaller guys?

3mina":1fuer14h said:
since 5 pounds at 8 weeks is the grail most are looking for.

I'm only guessing here, but since NZs mature to about 10lbs, and FWs to 5lbs, if they were to reach 2 1/2 lbs by 8 weeks I think that would be excellent.

bitterroot":1fuer14h said:
My litter of 6 FWs weighed 4 pounds at four weeks

4lbs total, right? Not each? :shock:

MamaSheepdog":320h384u said:
4lbs total, right? Not each? :shock:

I wish it was each! :lol:

Weighed them today, their week 5 weigh-in, and the total weight for all six of them was 6 pounds, 4.10 ounces.

3mina, let me know when you're ready. I don't do shows, but am always happy to meet up somewhere.

It'll be a bit, but I'm thinking I'd like to hit a show or two down there. There's a few people around here that go down regularly. At least then I could get to see vendors at a show :p

Northwest cage company is fantastic if you need cages, and they'll even bring any special orders with them for you. Definitely shoot me a PM before you go, as I'd love some new FW blood myself.

Just weighed my Flemish cross's at 10 weeks they weighed 6 - 8lbs not to bad. 1 Doe I bred weights 7lbs 1 weighs 10lbs and you couldnt see a noticable size difference in the kits at butcher time Im happy with that

bunei0426":3lbj19qw said:
Do you have the ARBA standard of perfection??

You'd be surprised how many of us don't. I'm still trying to get over how the AKC clubs standards are posted every where for free, but I have to pay for rabbit standards.

bunei0426":2x3rhn00 said:
Do you have the ARBA standard of perfection??

Yep, not that I have any inclination to ever set foot into a rabbit show. But I don't understand what exactly that has to do with an ideal growth rate for for the smaller breed meat rabbit kits from week to week?

Today was the week six weigh-in, and all six totalled 8 pounds, ten ounces. I guess they're not doing too bad, it's a nice steady gain.

So, Bitterroot, in the SOP, doesn't it give min and max weights for the different classes of weight/age for showing?

If it does, then that should give you an indication on whether your kits are on track for making the SOP weight for a junior.

Not to be rude or anything, but what is with all the hostility this weekend? We are here to help, and sometimes it takes a while for the right person with the information you are looking for to log in and find your posts.

perhaps this is something we could put together. I to have had a difficult time finding growth charts based on breed fro rabbit. As you say, dog charts are everywhere. I have to think more people have dogs than rabbits and that could be the reason. I plan to make my own as I weigh my bunnies anyway. Maybe that would help someone else starting out as well.

lissapell":2c73sify said:
perhaps this is something we could put together. I to have had a difficult time finding growth charts based on breed fro rabbit. As you say, dog charts are everywhere. I have to think more people have dogs than rabbits and that could be the reason. I plan to make my own as I weigh my bunnies anyway. Maybe that would help someone else starting out as well.

That's what we mean by using the SOP. At a certain age, jr age, the rabbit is supposed to weigh a certain amount. Jr age for most rabbits is around 4 mos, senior age at 6 mos. Then there are rabbits with more classes than that, intermediate and such, 4-6, 6-9, 9-12, with weight requirements attached. At jr age, 4mos, Rex should weight at least 4lbs. So I know mine are growing faster or slower than usual if they are 12wk old and 4lbs, or 20 wks old and 4lbs.

I have not seen any weight charts for dogs, either, at least German shepherds, but I have seen height charts. They have a maximum weight range they reach at maturity, and since certain line reach maturity at different times, it's hard to say what's standard or typical growth.

skysthelimit":3k7shehu said:
lissapell":3k7shehu said:

That's what we mean by using the SOP. At a certain age, jr age, the rabbit is supposed to weigh a certain amount. Jr age for most rabbits is around 4 mos, senior age at 6 mos. Then there are rabbits with more classes than that, intermediate and such, 4-6, 6-9, 9-12, with weight requirements attached. At jr age, 4mos, Rex should weight at least 4lbs. So I know mine are growing faster or slower than usual if they are 12wk old and 4lbs, or 20 wks old and 4lbs. I was not aware of this. Hopefully that will make my search easier.

I have not seen any weight charts for dogs, either, at least German shepherds, but I have seen height charts. They have a maximum weight range they reach at maturity, and since certain line reach maturity at different times, it's hard to say what's standard or typical growth.
you can Google weight charts for breed specific dogs and come up with a week to week goal weight based off standards. Dog lines are generally grown out at different times as well so I don't see how looking for an average would be any different.

lissapell":3w511he5 said:
you can Google weight charts for breed specific dogs and come up with a week to week goal weight based off standards. Dog lines are generally grown out at different times as well so I don't see how looking for an average would be any different.
[/color]

The last time I looked I didn't see any, I do know someone who has started it as a project several years ago. I have not looked in a while, because once you breed your own lines, you see for yourself, and the data is not really relevant to anyone else. Phoenix's litter all grew up amazing fast, at adult height and weight at 6- 8mos. Another litter sired by the same male, got tall and gangly, but did not fill out till two years old. The litter I have now, look small for 6 mos, but I am comparing them to a faster growing line. I feel it's best to form your own opinion of your lines, and check that you are hitting the mile markers for jr and senior weights in the SOP.

skysthelimit":2q47jxjb said:
Jr age for most rabbits is around 4 mos.

I didn't know this. Thanks, Sky! :) If I understand correctly, Rex Jrs. should be at least 4lbs by 4 months?

Regarding dogs, the female Great Dane I had came from a very slow maturing line- they were at their best at 3 to 4 years old, whereas some other lines were ready for the ring at 1 or 2. Unlike the faster growing lines, that often only lived until 6 or 8, this line lived until 10 or 12.

All of my aunt's Danes only lived about five years. But they were Harlie so also.

Rex are jr at four mos., and that has been a sore spot for me, as I have not had them reach 4lb at that time

Back