Supressing Rabbitosis?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbers91

Reaction score
How do you supress your rabbitosis? My experience was so great with them mini Rex that I'm so psyched about the pelts. Honestly they are so plush I wish I had one with me right now to pet. (god I've gone nuts) I'm just going psychotic trying to supress my new disease here. I just keep thinking it's only gonna be a year or two before you move out. x3. Mann.

Also before I dd te dead I totally referred myself to the black rabbit (anyone read or watch the movie watership down?) if you havnt read or seen it omg you must!

I think that book and movie kinda inspired me and made me feel better about rabbits.

You did an excellent job of suppressing it with that batch- I know I would have kept that broken black (brokens are my weakness!). I have Rex too, and I love them to bits.

Did you happen to share any of your meat with your family? If you get them hooked on eating rabbit, maybe you wont have to wait. Surely they can't object to a buck and a doe or two? Or three or four... :twisted:

If you do have to wait, your Rabbitosis will quickly morph to Raging Rabbitosis as a result of this early denial. Let your family know that if you become a crazed rabbit hoarder and end up on the 6 o'clock news they have only themselves to blame.

MamaSheepdog":c04qpbx8 said:
If you do have to wait, your Rabbitosis will quickly morph to Raging Rabbitosis as a result of this early denial. Let your family know that if you become a crazed rabbit hoarder and end up on the 6 o'clock news they have only themselves to blame.

True....it will be ALL THEIR FAULT!!! :twisted:

Lol i know I did the broken black last cuz I really really really really really didn't want to send her to the black rabbit. But at least she is now with lord frith. (rabbit's sun god) lol and she was definitely the leanest one best body. Ugh.. I did want to keep her and the sun burnt black. I probably will end up raging in rabbitosis sooner or later

Well, it's controlled here by the space I reside, though I considered kicking the dogs out of their side of the barn and putting the rabbits there. I think I'm going to tear down the chicken coop and put up some outdoor rabbit hutches instead. I could put my grow outs there in the spring/summer/fall.

How do I control rabbitosis? Simple, my Mom was a real hoarder. Not with animals, thank goodness, but I grew up in a house where boxes of her stuff lined the walls. Sometimes we'd lose the dining table for years at a time, sometimes covered on all sides with boxes.

Anyway, I've learned since then to set short term goals and only get the resources needed to complete them. Example: I just got my first set of mini rexes, but their former owner didn't have any in the color I really wanted, white. Having found one for free, I have to weigh my options. Is it something I really want and will value (not an impulse buy)? Is it something that will be cheaper and easier to get now and more difficult to even find later?

I try not to get something just "because it's cool". That does mean that sometimes I miss out on "things that could be useful later", but much of the time those things are easier to get another of in the age of the internet if I really do need/want it later, and I find I would often rather have the negative space it creates. I also don't think it's my responsibility to get something special that no one else sees value in. If it isn't something I value, I don't want it.

As you may have guessed, this doesn't just apply to rabbits for me.

The idea of doing rabbit shows isn't that appealing to me. I mean, I know if you're going to have a "whose rabbit is the best" competition, you need objective criteria for it not to devolve into a popularity contest. But the idea that "your rabbit is the best if it looks just like this", is something I have difficulty getting on board with.

I've suppressed my Rabbitosis for years and I'm finding now that I have the space I'm looking at expanding the number of breeds in the barn but I'm not in a hurry to do so.
Yet, maybe.... Unless I find something awesome. Actually, I'm on the same page as themangoavenger cause I absolutely do not wish to be "that crazy so&so with the rabbits"

I didn't know I was infected until we started going to livestock auctions and I was able to tell the breeds apart. Now I know what I'm looking for and when I find it, it's hard to say no.

Have you seen the name of my blog? LOL

I think Rabbitosis is kind of like coccidiosis that way, it's everywhere but you don't know it until the conditions are right for it to Blossom? Flare? Explode? Hit critical mass?

It's a sneaky thing, rabbitosis...one day you're looking at a rabbit thinking how cute then suddenly you have cages just in case and it was such a good deal and then the rabbits start arriving lol that being said...I have it BAD! And no cages or buns...but I will again :twisted: my hubby likes them and supports me soooo...there are 2 rabbits in the fridge waiting to be cooked up to convince my mother (we live with my parents and much younger sister)and potentially if it turns out good my dad will eat some and like it and voila! Scheming :lol: rabbitosis at it's worst. Or best maybe?

I can't bring them home without proper shelter cages feeders waterers etc. so If I can limit myself this time on cages and a small small space maybe I won't be so rabbit crazy :mrgreen:

Quite possibly! Most people seem to get rabbitosis after they already have 2 or 3 and others like me...I have to scheme a little to even get the 2 or 3 lol :lol:

Shelbers91":2mx4brxb said:
Oh gosh. I mush have it cuz I've started the whole "slow gathering of nonperishable supplies" fase I think
had not thought about it like that, I guess we start nesting, so they will be able to nest
(rabbit dreaming) :countsheep:

Piper":17hsj5vg said:
Shelbers91":17hsj5vg said:
Oh gosh. I mush have it cuz I've started the whole "slow gathering of nonperishable supplies" fase I think
had not thought about it like that, I guess we start nesting, so they will be able to nest
(rabbit dreaming) :countsheep:

Omg that smilie just reminded me of a dream I had with rabbits. then I turned into a white Rex for some reason lol

Shelbers91":3gvqcq0j said:
How do you supress your rabbitosis? My experience was so great with them mini Rex that I'm so psyched about the pelts. Honestly they are so plush I wish I had one with me right now to pet. (god I've gone nuts) I'm just going psychotic trying to supress my new disease here. I just keep thinking it's only gonna be a year or two before you move out. x3. Mann.

Also before I dd te dead I totally referred myself to the black rabbit (anyone read or watch the movie watership down?) if you havnt read or seen it omg you must!

I think that book and movie kinda inspired me and made me feel better about rabbits.

Just wait until you meet a rabbit like Tater!!!

It starts innocently enough:

IMG_0220 (640x480).jpg

Then she starts to get curious:

IMG_0221 (640x480).jpg

"Well, let me have a closer look":

IMG_0223 (640x480).jpg

"Okay, NOW I want some attention":

IMG_0222 (640x480).jpg

Garden more! It helps because then you want to feed your rabbits better, so then you have to garden even more and different things. That takes some more of your time and helps with the raabitosis.

But then it mainfests itself in other ways, like when you plant 4sq' of your raised bed in dandelion for rabbits greens...

Joe

Back