Stuck on which rabbit breed to get..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookAliveSunshine

Reaction score
You may remember I posted about what some good meat breeds are. I got mostly NZ, Cals, Florida White, and Champagne. Well, there's unlimited NZ and Cals here. No luck on Florida White. Found 3 breeders for American Blue. But then read somewhere else that since AB are harder to come by there's been a lot of inbreeding? Ultimately I'd like to sell meat/pet rabbits too, but with the sooo many Cals and NZ for sale ads I don't think the demand is high, but a trio be about $150 for pedigreed. I've also noticed a lot of mr for sale ads. With the AB the one breeder I click with posts his ads every day on cl, and I feel like I would be competing with him. He's only an hour away too. Trio would be about $120-150. Also, considering getting into Rex, I really like the colors/fur. Looking at $90 for pet or $150 pedigree. But for meat white fur is preferred and larger weight for pets it's best to get mr, which again there are sooo many for sale ads.

Should I just stick with a NZ/Cals/American and just use them for meat myself? Or go with a rex and try selling them for meat/pet? or just meat for myself? Are mini rex any good for meat realistically? Thanks again.

---added info---
I found this about NZ: "They are often associated to “big rag dolls” because they can accommodate you in any way you wish to hold and cuddle them. Pick them up, set them down, hold them in your lap or even carry them across your shoulder, they have no problem at all with that. They were thought to be utility or working rabbits and most people select this breed because they have an outgoing personality and very easy to work with." And from another website: "Adult New Zealand’s can be more aggressive than other breeds although not all are aggressive."

And this about cals: "However they do enjoy some human contact and carry with them a pleasant personality. Some people have reported that many of the does can be temperamental and may become too protective of their litters. In general, the Californian’s personality ranges from being very social and loving to being very quiet and reserved. Also, they are usually mild mannered and even-tempered. The average life span of a breeding Californian rabbit is 5 to 6 years."

standard rex are great meat rabbits and can sell easily as pets. And don't think about competition, your selling a product, buy from him and improve what traits you want and sell YOUR product.

Any of the heritage breeds would be a good choice.
Although difficult to find, they may be well worth the effort.

The NZ's have gotten a bum-rap over their personality.
It's easy to produce aggressive rabbits, if that's what you start with.
At one time nearly half my does were nasty old hags.
They all had a common ancestor in thier backgrounds.
An old one-eared doe that was a grouch all of the time.
But, she was an outstanding mama and producer.
That line is gone now. Phased out over time.

grumpy.

for meat white fur is preferred and larger weight for pets it's best to get mr, which again there are sooo many for sale ads.
I am bit confused by this comment.

Only commercial rabbit processors want white coated rabbits, as the pelts can be dyed any colour. Regardless, the market for young rabbit skins is very poor and most pelts are considered waste.

I believe you meant that people want smaller, and not larger weights for pets, and this is true. Large rabbits eat more, poop more and need larger cages. I would not consider a Mini Rex for meat production, although you can eat any rabbit. Even if you raised them to adult size you'd only get a few pounds of meat but will have spent 6 months feeding them.

In my area Flemish Giants are in demand and are sold for pets, breeding stock and meat.
The French Lop seems to be pretty rare so may be a candidate for pet and breeding stock and is a meatier breed that would be worth while to eat if they don't sell.

Get what YOU like, the rest will take care of itself. As has been said before 'all rabbits are made of meat' . Very few of us get big enough to sell to a commercial processor but if that's your plan then stick with what the processor wants.
It kind of sounds like you want to be all things to everyone and that's a sure ticket to disaster. Pick your goals, whether selling to a processor or the pet market or home consumption because it's a rare breed that applies to all three markets.

I like my NZWs. Well, some of them. My does are pretty mean (we're working on that), but the bucks are super sweet.

I also have 2 mutt does who are just angels now that they've kindled. I've read that can be a problem with meat breeds. Sometimes the does don't become nice until they've become mamas, which is definitely not a good trait for pets.

If you want fur, I wouldn't think commercial selling would really be an option. How will you keep the fur from the animals? Or are you allowed to sell processed animals in TX (you can't in IL)?

If you want a breed suitable for pet and meat, Dutch might be a good choice. It is very difficult to get correct markings, so there will be a lot of culls which could be sold as pets or processed as meat.

You might also consider working with two breeds- one to sell as pets, and one to raise for meat.

I would caution you about selling to the pet market for a number of reasons, however. First and foremost would be the Animal Rights Activists. If you were selling only for pets, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned, but given the fact that you plan to eat those cute little bunnies :eek: , is an invitation to disaster. The second is that if you sell over $500 in pets, you are subject to USDA regulations, I believe.

You can find further info on that in this thread:

post34339.html?hilit=pet%20sales%20$500#p34339

My "Sistah", One Acre Farm has Cals, NZ's, Rex, and American Blues. She is in Texas near Louisiana.

I second Dutch for a dual purpose breed. That's what I have. I want to get some experience raising a breed I can sell as pets or use for meat. The Dutch are also smaller, meaning less cost for feed and smaller cages. Another advantage to starting out with Dutch is that, generally, they are less expensive (at least here) than some of the other breeds. For someone just beginning with rabbits, that's not a bad thing. Once I get a handle on my rabbitry, tweak whatever needs tweaking, I will expand into a second, purely meat breed.

After lots of research I narrowed it down to American or Silver Fox. Both are heritage breeds, which I liked...felt good about perpetuating them. My final choice was Silver Fox, mostly just because the American's are all but non-existent in this areal. The SF have not disappointed me...they're docile and sweet. They mature about 10 lbs, so they're big bunnies :)

Yay! Another SF breeder!! We're taking over :) Maybe they'll have a popularity surge and come off the threatened list (I think that's the list they're on right now)

[/quote]Only commercial rabbit processors want white coated rabbits, as the pelts can be dyed any colour. Regardless, the market for young rabbit skins is very poor and most pelts are considered waste.

I believe you meant that people want smaller, and not larger weights for pets, and this is true.[/quote]

Oh is that why white fur is preferred? I thought it had something to do with not seeing it on the meat or something? That make sense. Yeah I meant smaller breeds/light weight = pets, and larger/heavier= meat.

LookAliveSunshine":1whcio8w said:
is that why white fur is preferred? I thought it had something to do with not seeing it on the meat or something?

Rabbit fur takes dye very well, so that is why furriers prefer white pelts. However, you are also correct that for meat, white fur is preferred because it is less noticeable on a dressed carcass as compared to dark colored fur.

WildWolf":tu1pg9b6 said:
Yay! Another SF breeder!! We're taking over :) Maybe they'll have a popularity surge and come off the threatened list (I think that's the list they're on right now)

We had a thread on the SF group about them being 'threatened'. There's no way they are, since soooo many people have them, especially in my state and neighboring states.

OP, I agree with you about skipping rabbits that are too popular, even if what you have is better, too many people want whats cheap and with a popular breed, there is bound to be cheap breeders. Wish I knew SF was going to be flooding my state before I got into them. =/ I should of picked a breed that was states away type of rare, then it would of been several years before too many had them.

You only need a white rabbit with commercial butchers, is that who you're wanting to sell to?

MamaSheepdog":1s7ducda said:
LookAliveSunshine":1s7ducda said:
is that why white fur is preferred? I thought it had something to do with not seeing it on the meat or something?

Rabbit fur takes dye very well, so that is why furriers prefer white pelts. However, you are also correct that for meat, white fur is preferred because it is less noticeable on a dressed carcass as compared to dark colored fur.

Unless you're talking about satin pelts. They don't dye easily, and that is why commercial rabbit processors will no longer buy them. It has to do with the makeup of the individual hair shells on a satin pelt. As many colors as the breed already has, one wouldn't think it would be a problem, but it is.

Latest posts

Back