Still don't know what to do about travel.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
I know I asked this before, but we still have no answers. I have asked all over for someone to rabbit sit or even house sit and can't find anyone. We are leaving for 2 weeks and either have to take the rabbit with us (22 hour drive) or leave him here. I found one person who will come over for $36 a day and feed, water, etc... him and while she is here he can get out for 10-15 minutes. I just don't think he will be okay with that. He lives in our living room as a true pet. He is treated more like a cat/dog who sleeps in a cage. When we are home, he is allowed out. Heck, he now has claimed a chair that is his. He hops on the furniture, sleeps in the floor. I just think 2 weeks locked in his cage, he will go crazy. He already does when we are gone a lot for a few days and he can't get out much. I just think he needs more exercise that than. I just don't know what to do. I can't seem to find anyone. The breeder I bought him from seems to think he will be perfectly fine locked up for 2 weeks with food and water. I honestly worry he could die from depression. He lives in a LOUD house. There are 6 of us and he is in the main living area. He is used to be chased around, watch tv (okay yes I know that sounds weird but I swear to you he sits and watches tv). I am going to call Vet offices tomorrow but just can't figure out what else to do. We live in a tiny town in the mountains near nothing.

It might be best to take him with you, even though it's a long drive. He'll be with the people he knows, and he'll get a lot more activity.

When you stop to stretch, you might want to take him out inside the car with the doors shut, so he can't escape and get lost. Or put him on a harness.

I hope you can figure something out!

Take him with you. It sounds like he will have a great time!

Not all rabbits could take it, but I think he has the personality for it. I have had a couple of cats that enjoyed traveling, so I don't doubt a rabbit could too! :)

Be sure to take a lot of pictures of the journey! :camera:

Get him used to wearing a harness as soon as you can. The kind that cats wear is recommended by the "rabbit hopping" people. The cat harnesses adjust independently for the neck and the chest, and they often come with a "cat-sized" 6-foot leash, too. :)

Here's an example of what I mean: photo This one doesn't come with a leash, but it's a good photo of the kind of harness I mean. Cat harnesses that make an "X" across the cat's shoulder blades are NOT safe for rabbits: rabbits can get out of them very quickly! (And I once had a cat who got out of one as well.)

Once the rabbit is used to having the harness on, get him used to the leash. But don't leave the harness on him unless a person is watching him; rabbits can chew harnesses as easily as they chew everything else, and harnesses are not digestible....

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with strangers letting my rabbit loose. I would constantly worry that she chewed a wire and got electrocuted, fell in a toilet or escaped their house and that I would come back to missing, damaged or dead rabbit.

I would find a professional boarding fascility or vets

OR

If he is that active and dog like then leash train him and bring him along.

Pet sitters (unless they are house sitting) are expected to just make sure that your animals have the basic needs met, clean up their cage, and x amount of outside time or none at all. They however, unless you have made an agreement of some sort/payment, then they also have family life they have things they need to do aswell. (work,family,their own animals, gas/driving time,ect) I will check a dog (s) a minimum of 3 times a day because they obviously need to be let out, plus I just love to play with them anyways so I'm usually there for a little over an hour each time. (And that's just because I can drive now! If they don't live near by and mom and dad are driving them, their window is small understandably)

If you don't feel like that exercise window is going to be big enough for your rabbit, I'd take him with you.

Like Dood said, I'd be more afraid of my rabbit getting into something if the sitter doesn't have as much experience with rabbits.

or just let him stay there with the sitter for 2 weeks. I don't think it would be detrimental to his health.

I used to take my rabbits everywhere when I just had the two pets. They took to the harnesses well and they loved to explore. I would take him.

Back