Step 1, done!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyTree

Reaction score
I am building up slowly to raising rabbits. S-l-o-w-l-y! Lots of reasons for that--budgeting carefully, recently moving to a new state, simultaneously homeschooling two little ones, and exploring the existential implications of animal husbandry (no small feat for one whose main interactions with animals are as pets and as pre-packaged, already-dead food).

But yesterday felt very significant for me.

I bought a cage!

Just one. But it seemed like a very good deal on craigslist. Super large, new 24x24x47 wire cage with a plasic bottom. It's not the top-grade all-wire cage I'd been dreaming of, but it was $20, and I figured I'd probably be able to use it as a grow-out cage or in some other capacity.

Also, importantly, it was a first step. All I'd done so far was read books, and I think I was relaxing a little too much into my cold feet!

I tried to renew my spot on the waiting list for the breeder I wanted Silver Foxes from, but it turns out I'll have to wait until fall for the buns now. I'm torn. I've heard that to establish a breeding program, you want to buy the very best buns you can afford right at the start. But, never even having kept rabbits before, it would be nice to not spend a lot of money and have to travel far to give rabbit-raising a try. I'm telling myself that if a good meat rabbit with a friendly disposition turns up locally, I'll move on it. So, back to waiting. But, waiting with a cage, so if the perfect bun turns up, or another cage and TWO perfect buns, I'll be ready!

HoneyTree, are you planning to raise rabbits for meat? If so, there is nothing against starting with low-cost "learner" rabbits and sending them to freezer camp when you feel ready to take the leap to expensive purebreds. Rabbits can be pets... They can also be livestock. Just keep clear in your mind which ones are which and you will do fine.

Congrats on the new cage, it sounds like you made a good deal on it. I started out with meat mutts to learn with and in the next few months I will be upgrading to purebreds though I have not decided on a breed yet.

Maggie, I am planning on raising them for meat, and that's a good point, I don't have to decide right here and now that the first rabbits I buy will or won't end up on the table. I think that's part of my slow-poking, feeling the discomfort of that thought and not wanting to move toward it.

Toastedoat, thanks for that link. That listing had turned up on my search for the cage, but I skimmed over it the first time. Now that I'm looking harder on craigslist, I see a couple of options.

This is good. Thanks, y'all, for the feedback.

First time rabbit raiser? I'd try my luck with some inexpensive stock to begin with. Your learning curve will be far less expensive. Besides, when the skin's off and they're fried a golden brown, you'll never be able to taste the difference. All you'll need is the taters and gravy!!

Grumpy.

That's where I'm at...I've got some crossbred does, a good New Zealand buck, and bam: meat rabbits. I haven't yet decided which breed to keep for meat purposes (I'm torn between Cinnamons and Champagne d'Argents!) but in the meantime, my little crossbreds are helping me learn the ins and outs of meat breeding. :) Like you said, no need to rush! :)

'Grats on the cage btw, sounds like a good deal!

Go for it Honeytree ... there will be a learning curve, so like was mentioned, you don't want to lose expensive stock to a newby mistake. Also, the mutt you get just might be the best producer you have for a while and it will make a good "backup" for your pedigreed breeders.

From experienced breeders, I have learned that it is a good practice to breed 2 or more does on the same day so that they kindle close together. If one has a problem, or too many kits, you can foster to the other.

I have also found a cross breeding that is producing some amazing pelts in the kits and will most likely continue that line after I get my Silver Fox's. So, from planning on English Angoras and Silver Fox's, I am now up to a third breeding line :lol: They are like potato chips, you can't have just one :D

And, I won't be able to have more pelts if I don't stop selling the mutts as pets :p

We started with mutts, and are slowly moving into actual meat breeds. Our first rabbit was a minilop rescue, and we bought a Flemish mystery cross doe. We kept two kits (buck and doe). Someone gave us a New Zealand doe, and we just bought a Californian doe to replace our first doe who died of wool block.

It's okay to start out inexpensively. Don't buy mean rabbits or rabbits with issues, but don't be afraid to buy mutts to start with. Like they've already said, rabbits have a learning curve, and butchering anything for the first time is very difficult. :)

Honeytree--you are beyond step one, Previous steps you took were research and joining this group! Be forewarned-- you are probably going to become infected with a case of Rabbitosis-- which has various degrees of seriousness, and is s precursor to other diseases
DO NOT look in any Klubertanz, Bsss Equipment, or any other animal supply catalog, as that will further the progression of Rabbitosis
we are all here for your support-- but be aware-- we are all enablers!
Congrats on the cage---

I agree with what everybody has had to say. I started with pedigreed stock, and lost a buck right off (within 3 months), for an unknown reason. I was too new to raising rabbits to bring myself to do a necropsy, and didn't have the support of all the kind folks here at RT to support me through it, so I'll never know why he died.

I don't regret my decision to start with purebreds, but I wish I had known more when I started- despite all of my prior research, I have learned more here at RT than from other sources. You are lucky to have found this forum before even starting your rabbitry!

Now, put some warm wool socks on those cold feet of yours, and get out there and buy somebunny to fill up that cage! Nothing gives sufferers of Raging Rabbitosis more satisfaction than seeing another hapless victim succumb to the disease! :popcorn:

Back