Stalled Labor ANOTHER UPDATE

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseysWoolies

Reaction score
My little jw doe Sazuki is a first time mom, i came home from work today at 7pm (it's now 11pm) to one dead cold baby on the wire, it was a peanut anyways. I think me checking on her also disturbed her. I did feel her belly and she definitely has more babies inside, none are stuck or anything. Is there any chance she will have live babies after that? I have never had this happen before.
8155934637_d8dbca857b_z.jpg

Yes, she could still have live babies. You might feed her a fruity Tums just in case she is having any deficiency issues. But does have this odd ability to stop labor if they are startled, and resume later.

I would think that you coming in should not be enough of a fright, though, which is why I suggested the Tums. :) Good luck!

You're welcome! Hope it helps! There are a few herbs that can help stimulate labor, too... you could probably find them in a search on here. I can't remember what they are.

Just peeked in on her from a distance and she is pulling hair again. Hopefully she will have the rest of them soon!

Fingers crossed that the stalled labor started again and you have live, healthy popples. So sorry to hear about the peanut.

Karen

Did Sazuki popple?

Please inform her that there have been so few adorable JW pics lately that the incidence of new Woolyitis infections on RabbitTalk has dropped significantly. Obviously, this cannot continue. :nono:

MamaSheepdog says :gettowork: :lilbunny: It is your civic duty to produce popples, thereby spreading Woolitis everywhere!

No still no babies this morning. :( my other doe is nesting and looks like she will have hers any minute and they should be smoke pearl.<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm __________<br /><br />I take that back the other doe Candy is giving birth right noe.

I hope Sazuki is okay! :clover:

Maybe Candy's labor will stimulate her to birth. My girls seem to go like dominoes when one kindles. Maybe it is the pheromones.

I hope she is ok too! And I hope that is the case! Last go round my two that were due kindled within a few minutes of each other and they were due a day apart!

I grow lavender, just a plant or two, and harvest the flower buds in case I ever need it. Naturally, since it is handy, I have never had occasion to use it.

MSD, that's an interesting list but I'd be hesitant to feed the rabbit anything that might affect its milk supply, unless the doe's life was at risk. Catnip, mint and sage would all interfere. I don't know the effect of the others.

MaggieJ":2oulcyg0 said:
I grow lavender, just a plant or two, and harvest the flower buds in case I ever need it. Naturally, since it is handy, I have never had occasion to use it.

MSD, that's an interesting list but I'd be hesitant to feed the rabbit anything that might affect its milk supply, unless the doe's life was at risk. Catnip, mint and sage would all interfere. I don't know the effect of the others.

I fed Lulu lavender, mint and sage the whole time she was pregnant and after she had the kits until I read something on here about the milk suppy. It had no effect on her, but I think the question would be how much would cause this. I took one sage leave, one mint sprig, 1 stem of lavender or something like that, each day. I also read that mint is not to be given daily because it can irritate the mucous membranes, but how much is too much, so I stopped giving mint daily because of Snickers and his eye watering, just to be safe. I am not sure if people give a cup of mint or sage or what to cause milk to dry up or contractions to happen. By the time I gave one mint, one sage, one thyme, one lavender, one blackberry leaf, one raspberry leaf, some clover, some dandelions, some other weeds, a little bit of broccoli leaf, they had a pile of greens. I do not feel real save giving very much of the herbs, just a taste and now switch around, but 1 sage leaf, is that being too worried or what is safe with these plants? Oh, and I was giving them a comfrey leaf about every other day to Lulu, so how much comfrey would cause contractions? I do not think I could get her to eat more than one leaf and sometimes since I had the clover, they would not eat the comfrey. Very interesting to find out serving size of herbs for too much or too little.

MaggieJ":bk99rn56 said:
I'd be hesitant to feed the rabbit anything that might affect its milk supply, unless the doe's life was at risk.

True, but Sazuki is going on twenty hours or more since she kindled the first kit, so the sooner she delivers the rest the more likely they are to be viable.

Remember I treated a doe on the edge of mastitis recently with sage, mint, and catnip, and it slowed production but did not stop it. I'm not an herbalist, but it is my understanding that most herbs need to be taken for some duration and have a cumulative effect rather than an immediate one.

Thanks for watching my back and pointing that out though. There are risks and I failed to mention them. :oops:

What you say makes perfect sense, MSD. I don't have the answers to how much of the herbs in question would be too much. I was just picturing the doe delivering successfully but then not being able to feed them. There is so much we do not know about the uses of herbs.

Thanks everyone. I have a backup doe who just delivered only two kits but honestly i just want them out of her. I can breed her again.

Back