Spotted liver in pasture rabbits, no spots on sneezer colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy

Reaction score
OK yesterday's butchering was a new experience. I've been researching old threads and the internet for answers to what I found on 2 rabbits that have been growing out in a pasture pen together.

I'm attaching a pic of a liver with a white lump under the surface of the liver. I really wish I'd taken a picture of the other liver, there were many of them, they looked like grubs I inspected them to see if they were alive - they didn't wiggle, but were crescent shaped or maggot shaped (like fat in the middle and tapering) and perhaps just hardened white pus. Totally gross. (more info after pic)
IMG_0174.JPG

I saw the other thread on this topic from March but the pic didn't look the same as mine. Those where more varied in shape and seemed more superficial. These whitish spots had more under the surface.

What was really interesting, I butchered a different 3 from a pen where a baby had died of Pasteurella, so I quarantined off the whole section of that exposed herd (from their outdoor pasture pen - dividing the colony) to grow out and butcher all of them. There were no spots on the lungs, they all seemed perfectly healthy. I know all the rabbits in there were sneezing at one point or another. Possible to carry P without making spots? When I butchered in the past from the Bordatella outbreak, I saw red spots on the lungs of some of the animals.

Anyone have any ideas?

(ps. I know some of you will say to eliminate my whole herd from the P... the baby who died of P had escaped the pen and was bit by a cat, whom I got him out of the mouth of. Turns out cats carry Pasteurella IN their mouths - ugh!! and yes, I tested the sick baby's snot and it was confirmed P. No one else has snot. I know there are many things that can make them sneeze!)

One of the grow out does was a beauty and I put her in a cage into the colony - and promptly pulled her back out again soon as I saw those livers! All the rabbits seem perfectly healthy, robust, even fat.

They could have come into contact with anything as these girls were part of a litter that escaped early and often from their mini-pasture pen set up (no longer will I do free roaming kits -I will keep them locked up til they are big enough to not squeeze through/under/over fences so easy!) So they could have contacted anything from our pasture - we have lots of deer, raccoons, coyotes, foxes, etc. even a mountain lion next door, and of course, wild rabbits.

However, in the March thread I noted that if its coccidia - cleanliness and the inability to eat each other's poop is important (why do they do that? grrr...)
How the heck do I monitor that with a colony pasture pen where they are freely roaming and equally free to all-the-poop-you-can-eat??

It doesn't have to be them eating poop... but if a rabbit has coccidia, it will contaminate the grass and weeds.

It looks like coccidiosis to me, but I'm not a expert.

I don't know the answers to your other questions. :(

Kind of pointless to treat for Cocci if they stay on the ground, as they will just get reinfected. If there is P and the others have it, just show no symptoms, their immune systems can be weakened and others can easily get cocci.
With mine, I noticed only one doe and her litters were weak to it. Others didn't get it. So got rid of her and no more issues of others getting it. But now most are in hung cages.
But cocci is supposed to be species specific. Cocci is always in the ground, that's what we say with chickens, doesn't matter if your stock is clean, it's there because of wild animals. Only healthy, strong animals will be able to fight it off. Same is true with rabbits, with cocci, with P, with any illness.

Liver looks like coccidia, but not a terrible case so not as many white nodules. In a colony it's impossible to eliminate it but moving the cage daily will help so they are not eating huge quantities in their greens.

ChickiesnBunnies":3rewxeyd said:
Kind of pointless to treat for Cocci if they stay on the ground, as they will just get reinfected. If there is P and the others have it, just show no symptoms, their immune systems can be weakened and others can easily get cocci.
With mine, I noticed only one doe and her litters were weak to it. Others didn't get it. So got rid of her and no more issues of others getting it. But now most are in hung cages.
But cocci is supposed to be species specific. Cocci is always in the ground, that's what we say with chickens, doesn't matter if your stock is clean, it's there because of wild animals. Only healthy, strong animals will be able to fight it off. Same is true with rabbits, with cocci, with P, with any illness.

Thanks Chickies- Here's the thing - I had no clue they were sick til I opened them up. No diarrhea, not skinny, eating fine, look great. So how the heck would I even know if they had it - and who else might have it... or if that means they are resistant to it, since they aren't sick, even those these lumps are in their livers...

did you used to do colony pens on the ground and now switched to hanging cages? is it due to disease, or..?<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:35 pm __________<br /><br />
Dood":3rewxeyd said:
Liver looks like coccidia, but not a terrible case so not as many white nodules. In a colony it's impossible to eliminate it but moving the cage daily will help so they are not eating huge quantities in their greens.

Thanks Dood - I moved these girls every few days but maybe it needs to be daily, like you say. The other colony pasture pen is staked in place, and I have no idea how their livers are doing, it'll be awhile yet before I butcher from there.

The other rabbit had maybe 4 or 5 of these lumps it was totally gross. I don't know what a bad case is, like I said previously, they weren't sick at all in any way.

I am debating whether I should treat for it or give up now since they're all running around in the grass anyways... does anyone know how long it can hang out in the grass, for when I cycle the grow out pasture pens back around?

I had coccidia in a couple of rabbits a few months ago, and mine are all in cages. I chose not to medicate until I saw further evidence of it, and I am glad I waited. I have probably butchered at least 50 since then, with no other signs in any of them.

Your situation may be different, since they are on the ground, but by moving the pens you should limit the spread. Try searching "coccidia" in meat rabbits- I believe Ollitos had some trouble with it, and I believe there was an in depth discussion regarding the life cycle, or a link was provided. :?

Also- a small parasite load is well tolerated by most animals. It is only when their immune systems are out of balance that they can really take over. If the rabbits have good weight, glossy coats, normal stools, and are active, I would not worry. You might choose to treat your breeding does so they do not infect the kits, but that is your own call.<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm __________<br /><br />Don't bother with the search, Stormy- I found the posts.

My post on coccidia:

questionable-spots-on-liver-t13626.html?hilit=coccidia%20ammonia

Ollitos post on coccidia:

really-bad-liver-pics-t11239.html?hilit=coccidia%20ammonia

Only symptom was sudden death, when I cut them open, the livers were several times larger and covered in spots.
Most are hung now because of several things, lost some to heat, cocci from the one cross pairing, slow growth, wanting to try 18% to get them big fast, reworking several things to first get new rabbits and growth settled. Wanting to put the adults back on the ground, would probably keep some of the growers in cages, rest on the ground.

sommrluv":323te4av said:
That is a liver fluke

OK I just about fell out of my chair :sick:

Doing my homework now... yet another weird disease rabbits can pick up in the pasture, turns out!! Makes me wonder how wild rabbits have survived at all.

So here's a pic of Coccidiosis liver: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm
The livers from my bunnies did not have upraised surface white spots. They had submerged, tapered ones with just a piece cresting the surface of the liver, flush with it.

Liver fluke pictures:
"The liver tissue was swollen and shot through with pussy capsules which oozed thick fluid" does not sound like the liver I posted a picture of here - its healthy looking, as was the other one.
http://gallowayfarm.wordpress.com/2010/ ... ver-fluke/
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/in ... t_Reminder

Neither rabbit, even the one with several of these white things, were enlarged seeming or pussy. The coccidia livers also are claimed to be enlarged. It doesn't seem to fit, either case. These grub-like embedded white things could be sacs of something - but I am not sure they are worms, they would have popped or been juicy or something when I broke into them -just was more white stuff inside. They didn't move. The flukes seem to be a flat worm that moves, and makes holes.

It seems I have something altogether different here, and I'm really at a loss how to proceed!

Latest posts

Back