Spots on lungs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caldhara

Reaction score
So I've been feeding my herd a pellet-less diet for about three months now. I am so against the ingredients in the pellets I have access to so I'm determined to work out a formula that meets their needs. One of the things I'm most vigilent on are vitamins and minerals and my yard happens to be full of all the power food weeds that are rich in good bunny nutrients. Last night I butchered four of the babies raised on this natural diet and noticed the lungs of two of them had dark spots covering it, like speckling and none bigger than a pinhead and they were not raised. In comparison, the other ones have the normal nice smooth, pink lungs without spots. Also the rest of the inards were normal and healthy. When these rabbits were live, they were healthy as well. I do have a photo and will post in a bit but thought I'd see if anyone was familiar with this.

While small clots can be formed from the method used to dispatch and cervical dislocation is one of them as often there is increased blood pressure in the rabbit, however the clots in the picture look sunken to me which would indicate a disease :shrug:

Leptosporosis is a disease that can cause haemorrhaging on the lungs - is it common in your area?

No. And I can't find even any pictures that resemble this when I search the interwebs...

Here is another post showing a lung much like I had. I did have a bout with respiratory problems over the winter due to bringing an outdoor rabbit into my heated barn abruptly. I felt stupid to say the least. Also my barn did not have great ventilation, something the new barn will have. Pneumonia makes sense because of this.

post232658.html#p232658

The diagnosis of pneumonia in the post you cited was not made because of the clots on the lung but by the pale puss filled lumps on the lungs

Lung clots are not uncommon in dead rabbits lungs, but from the picture you posted of your rabbits lungs the clots look like pits or dimples

They were smooth, no pits or dimples. As for the thought about Leptospirosis, my state doesn't have this problem in wild animals and my rabbits have never come into contact with standing water or other animals urine. Pneumonia makes the most sense given the sequence of events my herd has gone through this year so far.

Back