Sources for untreated seed for sprouting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheleBelle75

Reaction score
Good mornin y'all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and 2024 has started off on a positive note for everyone.
Okie dokie, now for my questions.. lol
I have recently started seeing people talking about sprouting for their rabbits and I done that for my birds a few years ago. They had their favs but wasted A LOT and it wasnt the cheapest option but was the healthiest so I did it. I am on a fixed income and a quality pelleted feed is hard to find in stock close to me. I live in the mountains of WV and the closest feed store is a 1+ hour drive one way. So, what I would like to know is which sprouts are the most beneficial. I would like to cut the pellet consumption back and improve the quality of their daily feed. Stretch the pellets further I guess. I have BOSS due to feeding the birds and I saw that the BOSS sprouts should only be fed in very small amounts. For those of you that sprout, where do you get your seed and what are 3 other seeds that are beneficial/cost efficient. I have a Californian trio a Rex pair, a Holland lop trio and 4 English Angoras. I know that nursing does and grow outs need/benefit from higher protein. My EA's also need higher protein. I have 5 pregnant does currently and no babies yet. My meat breed does and Hollands are pregnant as my EA does are not old enough. I do feed a mix of Manna pro PRO & GRO and the GRO is only in stock in the TSC 2.5 hours one way for me. I do feed orchard grass hay daily, some of them like it, some dont and some play in it.. lol
Any and All advice is very much appreciated.
I hope y'all have a blessed day!

I'm not sure what you want to sprout, but I use Johnny's Seeds online. I look for bulk organic which is much cheaper than packets. Depending on seed size I will buy a quarter to a full pound bag. I haven't done a lot of sprouting although I have a setup for it. I do have a good garden patch close to my house that's been dug up, amended, and has gopher wire under it, with T stakes and welded wire horse fence. Late this fall feeling the need for more greens I tossed all my older greens seeds out into it and overseed it really well. I figured my germination would be poor. I ended up with a nice mesclun patch of mixed lettuces, cruciferous and brassica greens. I made a frame with old greenhouse plastic stapled across it in leaned it against the house to make a semi-open greenhouse. It just protects the greens from snow and wind and concentrates the sunshine a little bit. It's doing very well! I'm at 4000 ft in the lower southern Sierras.

I'm not sure what you want to sprout, but I use Johnny's Seeds online. I look for bulk organic which is much cheaper than packets. Depending on seed size I will buy a quarter to a full pound bag. I haven't done a lot of sprouting although I have a setup for it. I do have a good garden patch close to my house that's been dug up, amended, and has gopher wire under it, with T stakes and welded wire horse fence. Late this fall feeling the need for more greens I tossed all my older greens seeds out into it and overseed it really well. I figured my germination would be poor. I ended up with a nice mesclun patch of mixed lettuces, cruciferous and brassica greens. I made a frame with old greenhouse plastic stapled across it in leaned it against the house to make a semi-open greenhouse. It just protects the greens from snow and wind and concentrates the sunshine a little bit. It's doing very well! I'm at 4000 ft in the lower southern Sierras.
Well, I'm still in the research phase but I want a well-rounded variety since I can feed with healthier natural foods but also not be as dependent on commercial feed.Gardening is a hobby but also I preserve what I grow. I know that homegrown is best for my family and know it's better for my animals.

I bought barley groats from Hancock Seed (they're located in florida, I had it shipped to AZ and it was still cost effective!). Main thing to be on the lookout for is it can't be treated or it won't sprout properly. One way to guarantee that is to buy organic but that label adds $$ so inquiring with the companies is just as good. If you want something that can double as human food, Azure Standard is a good source, or any grain elevator near you. I found a local organic ordering coop that I use now but that might not be available where you are. I'd start by searching "barley fodder supplies" and your area, contacting people, see what comes up (depending on the amount of time you have to spend on research phase). I lucked out with hancock, I didn't know about the "can't be treated" thing but the seeds have sprouted fine

Good mornin y'all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and 2024 has started off on a positive note for everyone.
Okie dokie, now for my questions.. lol
I have recently started seeing people talking about sprouting for their rabbits and I done that for my birds a few years ago. They had their favs but wasted A LOT and it wasnt the cheapest option but was the healthiest so I did it. I am on a fixed income and a quality pelleted feed is hard to find in stock close to me. I live in the mountains of WV and the closest feed store is a 1+ hour drive one way. So, what I would like to know is which sprouts are the most beneficial. I would like to cut the pellet consumption back and improve the quality of their daily feed. Stretch the pellets further I guess. I have BOSS due to feeding the birds and I saw that the BOSS sprouts should only be fed in very small amounts. For those of you that sprout, where do you get your seed and what are 3 other seeds that are beneficial/cost efficient. I have a Californian trio a Rex pair, a Holland lop trio and 4 English Angoras. I know that nursing does and grow outs need/benefit from higher protein. My EA's also need higher protein. I have 5 pregnant does currently and no babies yet. My meat breed does and Hollands are pregnant as my EA does are not old enough. I do feed a mix of Manna pro PRO & GRO and the GRO is only in stock in the TSC 2.5 hours one way for me. I do feed orchard grass hay daily, some of them like it, some dont and some play in it.. lol
Any and All advice is very much appreciated.
I hope y'all have a blessed day!
I bought whole oats at local feed store for $12 for 50#. It spouted well and sometimes I let it grow long enough for the greens as a treat when ground is snow covered. Mix in some chopped sweet potato and kitchen scraps, kale etc . The grow outs are less interested, but nursing momma's eagerly devour them. Also give lots of tree trimmings for them to chew on in winter when garden goodies aren't available. I prefer to feed sunflower seed unsprouted. It's a favorite treat as is.

Well, I'm still in the research phase but I want a well-rounded variety since I can feed with healthier natural foods but also not be as dependent on commercial feed.Gardening is a hobby but also I preserve what I grow. I know that homegrown is best for my family and know it's better for my animals.
I really like the book beyond the pellet for good ideas. If you garden feed them all your weedings and trimming. Dry some if you have extra. Feed the kale stems fresh, dry the leaf. Mine love anything in the Cole family, especially the leaves removed from brussel sprout. They'll eat those tough stumps from broccoli including roots, stems from herbs I harvest. I grow painted mountain corn for cornmeal for me. It's supposed to be higher protein(14 percent in stead of 7) than most corn. I pull random leaves as it grows. After I harvest the cobs. My rabbits get the rest. They devour all including the roots. It's the only corn I have been successful with in our short zone 3 season. I have saved my own seed for 10 years. So it should do ok on your mountain

I bought barley groats from Hancock Seed (they're located in florida, I had it shipped to AZ and it was still cost effective!). Main thing to be on the lookout for is it can't be treated or it won't sprout properly. One way to guarantee that is to buy organic but that label adds $$ so inquiring with the companies is just as good. If you want something that can double as human food, Azure Standard is a good source, or any grain elevator near you. I found a local organic ordering coop that I use now but that might not be available where you are. I'd start by searching "barley fodder supplies" and your area, contacting people, see what comes up (depending on the amount of time you have to spend on research phase). I lucked out with hancock, I didn't know about the "can't be treated" thing but the seeds have sprouted fine
Thank you so much. I have time for researching. Im just wanting to learn what I can feed that is natural/healthier. I dont' mind feeding pellets but I dont want it to be it. I want to give them a variety. Thank you again for your reply and the time you took to reply. Have a blessed day.

I bought whole oats at local feed store for $12 for 50#. It spouted well and sometimes I let it grow long enough for the greens as a treat when ground is snow covered. Mix in some chopped sweet potato and kitchen scraps, kale etc . The grow outs are less interested, but nursing momma's eagerly devour them. Also give lots of tree trimmings for them to chew on in winter when garden goodies aren't available. I prefer to feed sunflower seed unsprouted. It's a favorite treat as is.
I have a dumb question, When you feed sweet taters do you peel them or can they have peel and all? Yeah I grow turnips, mustard, kale, beets, sweet taters, corn, beans, maters, have blackberry bushes, blueberries, will also be starting strawberries. I have red currants, grapes. and 6 apple trees, 2 peach trees. I raise other garden veggies and I also want to build a raised bed for herbs. My garden Is fenced in with 10ft tall chain link so no wild animals can get into the garden area which I love. I would like to plant herbs that are safe for the rabbits and I prefer fresh herbs to cook with myself.

My yard is loaded with dandelion. Do I have to feed the leaves fresh only or can they be dried on a drying screen and vacuum sealed for later use as well?

I have a dumb question, When you feed sweet taters do you peel them or can they have peel and all? Yeah I grow turnips, mustard, kale, beets, sweet taters, corn, beans, maters, have blackberry bushes, blueberries, will also be starting strawberries. I have red currants, grapes. and 6 apple trees, 2 peach trees. I raise other garden veggies and I also want to build a raised bed for herbs. My garden Is fenced in with 10ft tall chain link so no wild animals can get into the garden area which I love. I would like to plant herbs that are safe for the rabbits and I prefer fresh herbs to cook with myself.

My yard is loaded with dandelion. Do I have to feed the leaves fresh only or can they be dried on a drying screen and vacuum sealed for later use as well?
I use the sweet potato peelings in the ice blocks I give them during the winter as supplemental water source. (We eat the actual sweet potatoes - they're precious since they don't grow very well up here!)

Dandelion leaves, flowers etc. can be dried for later. The thing that I use consistently that I'm careful about drying is raspberry leaves. They are fine fresh, or completely dried, but apparently they go through a poisonous phase when they're partly dried. I haven't tested that, but I use them for tea as well as for the rabbits, so I'm not inclined to try it. :)

I use the sweet potato peelings in the ice blocks I give them during the winter as supplemental water source. (We eat the actual sweet potatoes - they're precious since they don't grow very well up here!)

Dandelion leaves, flowers etc. can be dried for later. The thing that I use consistently that I'm careful about drying is raspberry leaves. They are fine fresh, or completely dried, but apparently they go through a poisonous phase when they're partly dried. I haven't tested that, but I use them for tea as well as for the rabbits, so I'm not inclined to try it. :)
Ok, thank you so much. I appreciate your time.
So I can make ice to help them get water in winter? We are having a cold spell currently and I have been going out every little bit Givin them water.

Yes! Ice blocks are a great way to supplement rabbits' water when it's below freezing. It really seems to help the rabbits stay in good condition. In addition to giving them warm water once or twice a day, we give each cage a treat-filled ice block. We freeze water in old yogurt/cottage cheese tubs, adding a little bit of something tempting like apple cores or carrot peelings - or sweet potato peelings! - to freeze into the middle. We leave these blocks in the cages all the time, and the rabbits love to play with them and chew on them - they get hydrated, entertained, and good tooth-trimming round-the-clock. Years ago, due to a miscommunication with a housesitter, our rabbits lived for a week with only the ice blocks. I wouldn't do it on purpose, but when we got home, they were none the worse for wear.

They'll eat peels. I even give them peels from sweet potato baked for us. Also peels and seeds from pumpkin, squash. You can dry leaves. Heavy stems don't dry as well. Feed those fresh, dry the leafy part. I don't think vacuum sealing is necessary.I've read conflicting things about feeding from stone fruits ( peaches, plums, cherry) so I avoid those. Mine like evergreens, especially white pine, so we give them big brush piles in winter to play in and chew on. I've read willow is good, comfrey, mine like daisy, marigold. Many herbs. I only give mint to the grow outs, not the pregnant or nursing does. there are good safe food lists on this site you can search. Good luck, have fun. I am still surprised how much I enjoy our rabbits.

Latest posts

Back