Sore hocks!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBITGIRLFORTHEWIN

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to a show around new year, and my silver fox buck can't have sore hocks. what is sore hocks? like can he not have any fur removed on his hocks or what? what is the quickest way to get rid of sore hocks? How long does it take to heal sore hocks? what is the best way to heal sore hocks etc. Thanks, in advance.

Sore hocks is what we call the problem where the rabbit's foot pads have become irritated and sore. This can be caused by using hardware cloth for pen flooring that has rough edges, or any rough flooring that can irritate the feet. It can also be caused by a rabbit sitting in its manure, and having the urine irritate the skin.

Generally, if a rabbit has sore hocks in a clean pen with a smooth floor, the issue is often narrow feet with thin fur cover on a heavier rabbit. There is simply too much weight per square inch of foot pad, and not enough thick fur to protect the foot. Breeding for wider feet and denser fur will often eliminate the issue in future generations.

As to it's treatment, the first issue would be to get the feet clean and dry. Keeping them dry is critical to healing. Some use the plastic sitting boards to get the bunny off the wire floor. If you have a solid floor, you might try a thick layer of straw that gets replaced daily. Some use thick towels changed frequently.

You want to know why this happened, to prevent it in the future. Does the rabbit urinate on itself, or make a wet area in the pen? Is the floor rough? Are the feet narrower than your other rabbits of the same breed?

Hi, I'm going to a show around new year, and my silver fox buck can't have sore hocks. what is sore hocks? like can he not have any fur removed on his hocks or what? what is the quickest way to get rid of sore hocks? How long does it take to heal sore hocks? what is the best way to heal sore hocks etc. Thanks, in advance.
A sore hock is defined by the ARBA as an ulceration of the footpad, on either front or back feet. For the purposes of showing, depending on how big or obvious it is, it can be a fault, unless it's infected or bleeding, at which point it's considered a DQ. A simple callous or small bald spot on the hock isn't going to get the rabbit thrown off the table and may not even draw a remark by the judge. If he's bleeding or has a fresh scab, don't take him to the show.

The fastest way to get sore hocks to heal is to get the rabbit off wire completely for a while, e.g. put it on a bedding of soft shavings, and keep its cage scrupulously clean. Straw is okay but seems to be more likely to irritate wounds. As @judymac suggests, towels can work too, but you really have to make sure the rabbit isn't sitting on anything wet, so they are a high-maintenance solution as they have to be changed a lot.

Once the sores have healed, plastic sitting boards might help keep it from recurring. My Champagnes, which nearly all have sore hock issues, actually do better with a smooth, flat wood board to sit on. If it gets wet/dirty, I flip it over, and when both sides are dirty it goes in the burn pile and is replaced with a new one.

Make sure your rabbit's toenails are kept trimmed, as long nails make them sit strangely, and is one way even rabbits on solid floors can end up with sore hocks. (It's also hard for a rabbit with overly-long nails to pose properly on the judging table.)

Watch out for urine scald, too. Because its feet are sore, the rabbit will move and hold itself differently, or be reluctant to leave the resting board to urinate, which can result in its wetting on its own legs. One of my Champagne does developed relatively small sore pink spots on her hind feet while she was raising a litter, and within two weeks she also had a pretty significant case of urine scald because her feet made it too uncomfortable to urinate in the normal position.

One reason can be hard floors, like tile , concrete, PVC. Even some carpets, that are kind of abrasive. After my herd buck and free roam house bunny Herr Hase developed sore hocks I covered the rooms my buck had access to with corrugated cardboard for 3 months and fenced off the asphalt in the front yard.

It did reaccur 2 years later when he developed a spine issue, the problem then was bad posture and wrong movements, that time I tried baby socks - that wouldn't have worked that well if he still had had full mobility.

Attachments

• Herr Hase hocks1 28-05-2019.JPG
    Herr Hase hocks1 28-05-2019.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Herr Hase Sockes 2021 klein.jpg
    Herr Hase Sockes 2021 klein.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you all for your help:), he has long thick fur on his hocks making it hard to see his sore hocks. His sore hocks are only on his back feet and are not bleeding, but just have removed fur with somewhat of a scab, but the fur on the sides makes it hard to find it when you are just looking, because it overlaps on to the sore hocks. Does Vaseline help heal sore hocks if applied on the scab?

I have had a lot of experience with sore hocks as I have Rex and this is a relatively normal / known thing for Rex. For the treatment of sore hocks in rabbits in general, I have found that having them on grass is a wonderful healer, as it doesnt have hard boundaries around how they put their weight when they hop or land etc. When mine have been bleeding I have treated them with Betadine (iodine medication that doesn't sting), but that's only to help a scab form and it doesn't assist with growing the fur back. Not sure about using Vaseline. BOSS helps with fur growth, and definitely the buns that have had BOSS are starting to grow fur back on their hocks now too. If you do put them on grass do make sure that they have a rest slab that is up off the grass though. Be aware that slippery surfaces are as bad for sore hocks as rough / abrasive surfaces, such as asphalt and concrete.

What the term sore hocks refers to is usually the back legs, from the bend to the toes. Although it can very rarely happen on the front feet
The area usually effected it by that bend of the hind leg. The hair is lost, the skin becomes irritated and infection can set it from that.
For your question look at the hind legs. If the rabbit has fully furred feet (say that 3 times fast I dare you) your good for a show.

Causes of sore hocks can be wrong flooring, with the wire too thin, very rough flooring and a heavy rabbit can cause the floor to flex.
Other causes can be urine burn... I had a doe with a urinary infection come to me. Wanting to keep her bloodline because American Chinchillas are hard to find I treated her. Using a resting matts, cleaning them where she urinated twice a day and getting rid of the infection fixed here sore hocks Thing was it took a long time for the hair to grow back.

Some breeds have more problems, especially the giants. I've heard the Rex does as well but that is hearsay.

Latest posts

Back