sore hocks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo18

Reaction score
I know that the topic has been discussed several times, and I have looked at several threads to try and find a solution.

my minni lop is a house bunny, she has a standard bunny cage with a plastic bottom, she has a litter pan with wire over the top designed to keep a rabbits hind end out of the litter. it is a corner pan, her cage is on top of a purpose made cabnet/table with a wood top and a small carpeted area. last week I noticed the fur on her hind feet was thin and a calused area was starting to develop. thankfully no sores as of yet. I know this is the early signs of sore hocks. we have put down padding in the form of folded towels, that she seems to enjoy sitting on and folding and chewing. normaly she stays on the table as we also have dogs who are scared to death of her despite the fact that they are 10 times her size and then some ( litraly one is seventy pounds to her five pounds ) the table is one and half times the size of a store bought outdoor rabbit hutch giving her plenty of room . and I do let her have roam of the floor every afternoon when the dogs are kenneled. i know the best thing to prevent this is flooring materal, but i am out of ideas for things i can do. i dont want to put down dry wall because i have read that some contains chemicals that are not good if ingested, and there is already wood so a wooden resting area would not help. we keep her nails trimmed short she sees a vet for cheak ups and the vet says her weight is fine. she is 6 years old, but her breed can live as long as 13 and with such a wide age range i hestitate to say this is age related. i am looking for any sugestions. please help. i am putting pictures of the table, and her litter box in my albums :pancake:

I bet she is damaging her feet getting in and out of the cage.

I would attach a sheet of plywood to the door/ramp and cover it in carpet.

I would also take the wire off her litter box. My rabbits don't get messy buts but they do spread wood chips around the cage.

that is a great suggestion thank you, i will try to figure out how to get a ramp cobbled together for her and some carpet scraps. i just spent the afternoon making her a pillow just to give her yet more options for areas to sit and rest. right now she is in the prossess of figuring out what it is and if she can eat it. lol

Latest posts

Back