Some lifted, some didn't.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night when we finally got home with our quail (4 hours total on the road + 1 our at the guys house) I put them all in their new home got them food, and water, and one again started thinking about the does, and if they were pregnant, or not. I decided to try an experiment. I took each of the 4 does, and stuck them in with my buck 1 at a time. I started with Luna the one that I had been thinking was pregnant. I opened the door, and set her in with Billy Bob, and she went crazy! Grunting like I've never heard her before she even tried to bite him, so I took her out, and put her back in her cage. Then I took Cloudy (our newest doe who I had bred with him the day she came here) she also let loose on him! After getting her back in her cage I got Oswin ( the doe that was pulling at day 18) I set her in the cage, she hoped around a bit, and gave him a small grunt. Then he went to sniff her, and her rear went a mile high in the air, and we got 3 fall offs. I gave Billy Bob a pat on the head, and told him good job. I put her back, and grabbed "B" she also ran around with a bit of a grunt then lift quite high, and had 2 fall offs.

Now I did this, because I had been seeing on here that if a doe completely rejects the buck that could mean that she is bred, or that she thinks she is bred. I am keeping all the does first breeding records just incase they actually were bred the first time, but am making a secondary record for the breeds last night.

I also wanted to mention that ALL the does had always given Billy Bob a run for his money so I usually have to place my hand on their head, and then they will let him get close.

My other 2 bucks, AK, and Phantom have yet to take a doe. They just want to cuddle them, and seem like they have no clue what to do with a doe :lol:

An old farmer here told me that if the doe gets very vocal with the buck she is already bred. At least for my Red that was true - to be sure I stuffed her into the bucks hutch for 2 days, one week after the previous date, no aggressions, but the whole time she sounded like a mix of pig and small fowl...

That turned out to be true for me. My doe started with grunting 3 days after bred. I never saw a fall off on the original breeding date, so I placed her back 3 days later and then 6 days later and she let loose both times and wouldn't let the buck near her. Fast forward 32 days...8 popples born with 1 death so 7 healthy wigglers! There is hope!!!

Attachments

• CMlitter2_1_1015.jpeg
    CMlitter2_1_1015.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 808
It's still amazing each time, and rabbits will keep you guessing. Nothing here yet, except BIG buldgy rolling and pops from bellys still. I have a feeling that once they start kindling, they will all have them one after the other! Thankfully I have a busy weekend to distract me and I don't have to worry a bit about the weather!

macksmom98":9yjay32h said:
It's still amazing each time, and rabbits will keep you guessing. Nothing here yet, except BIG buldgy rolling and pops from bellys still. I have a feeling that once they start kindling, they will all have them one after the other! Thankfully I have a busy weekend to distract me and I don't have to worry a bit about the weather!

Finally a reprieve from the heat .... Cant believe we had highs of 92 as recent as October 15th.

Hope to have my climate controlled rabbitry built before next spring .... summer will be too late.

I wish that I could do something like that. We are just such a small operation, in town, and without raising meat bunnies it's kind of a waste of $$$$ just for the pet market here. It would make happier, more comfortable rabbits, but would cost a lot to put in for us. Right now our goal is to have them lay for themselves. Post pics when you get it built tho, love to see what you came up with!

I would love a climate controlled rabbit barn, but that would kill my rabbits. To keep them in a cool, low humidity building, and in hot weather have to take them out to go to shows, probably wouldn't be too good.

Becca, sounds like you are going to be a bunny mama soon.

HansenHomestead":3rf81gi8 said:
My other 2 bucks, AK, and Phantom have yet to take a doe. They just want to cuddle them, and seem like they have no clue what to do with a doe :lol:
Next time, when you know you have receptive does that have just breed, put them in with one of the other bucks, it may just be the motivation they need.

Back