So, what do we think of the new layout?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more concerned with vertical space used, than whether that space is text or images. I've seen sigs on here recently that are 6(!!) double spaced lines of text. That's longer than many posts...

A small, non-animated image shouldn't be an issue, though we may implement a size limit.

I think it looks nice!

My only suggestion would be to change the green to a lighter pale green, it would make it easier on the eyes. ;)

Hannah":2dx7azmb said:
I think it looks nice!

My only suggestion would be to change the green to a lighter pale green, it would make it easier on the eyes. ;)

Hahaha :D It always surprises me how different people react to a new design. Last night the green WAS lighter, but we had several members with issues reading it due to not enough contrast between it and the grey background.

I will be tweaking things here and there, and trying to make everyone comfortable with the changes. Very soon we will switch our focus to moving the site and ending the 503 errors and lag, but the template will receive ongoing attention after that.

Ha! Okay, found the quick reply. It does scroll all the way back up to the top of the page when I click it, and then I have to scroll all the way back down, but I think that's a thing thats happening through my phone that can't be changed. Thanks MC and Homer!

Agreed, that must be something device-specific. It's not normal behaviour. I may still be able to fix it, but it'll have to go on the "sometime after the move" list.

I must admit that I kinda rushed out this update, I already had it well in the works when things went from bad to worse with our current host. It would have been difficult to move the site first, but it'll be easy enough to continue tweaking it once we're settled.

I like the option to either post a quick response or a full response. Seems more streamlined and it also seems to be faster. Couple things I was wondering about.

1.) One got deleted and I' too lazy to change the numbers :)

2.) I do like the jump to button.

3.) I remember a while ago it was possible to highlight a part of what someone typed, then hit quote and it would quote only what you highlighted. I can't remember why, though I know there was a good reason, but that option had to be taken and now you have to have the full editor up in order to do the same thing, which is a bit cumbersome. Is there anything we can do about that now that we have a new format?

4.) I'm not sure if the option was there before but its nice to be able to minimize sections of the forums that you never go to so that you don't have to see them.

5.) This is something that I've been wondering since I first started posting. Is there ANY way to be able to post a pic without needing to go through a different website. I normally have to upload the picture from my pics folder onto photobucket.com then take the link from there and post it on this website instead of just being able to upload it directly from my pics folder?

6.) Other than those few things I think the changes were very nice. Many things are much more accessible. The colors, imho, are nice.

Regarding 3, I'll see what I can do. It should be possible to add that back.

Regarding 5, yes! There are two ways to go about it. If you'd like to share the image in our gallery, you can post it there and then add it to your post by using its url in an image tag, or you can attach images directly to posts and they will display inline. Size limit is 1MB, dimensions must be no larger than 1920x1200. You'll find the attachment button on the posting screen.

MidnightCoder":7qraj8s9 said:
Regarding 5, yes! There are two ways to go about it. If you'd like to share the image in our gallery, you can post it there and then add it to your post by using its url in an image tag, or you can attach images directly to posts and they will display inline. Size limit is 1MB, dimensions must be no larger than 1920x1200. You'll find the attachment button on the posting screen.

Awesome! Thanks MC.

One thing I've found since the new format is that every time I go to open a new link it either opens in a new window or a new tab. I have the option, (I use Firefox) to open in a new tab but if that option isn't checked the page should just open in the same window. RabbitTalk is the only website that either makes me open every link in a new window or a new tab. Is it just me? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:09 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm sorry, I did think of one more thing though. Some of the forums have near a full page of stickies. Is there any way to put all those stickies for that forum into a single folder? By the time you get done scrolling through the stickies you only have one normal thread lol.

That should not be happening. It should only open a new tab for external links.

Regarding the stickies, I'm not sure what would be best. The point of them being sticky is we want them to be immediately apparent to new members. If they were moved into a subforum, they'd never be seen, the answers in them would be asked again, and again, etc.

I'll give it some thought.

I like that so far the sub forums are in the same place that they've been... in the same order... :)

I do find that i am squinting while reading... there is something with the grey background that is a bit difficult for me. :(

Over all... it looks rather user friendly. yay !! especially for us techno peasants !!! :)

Regarding the Stickies, this will be less of a problem when we subdivide the Rabbit Care forum into more specific areas such as housing, feeding, predator problems, parasites and diseases etc. It might be a while yet before we can do this, but it should solve the problem.

mystang89":1mlr83oq said:
One thing I've found since the new format is that every time I go to open a new link it either opens in a new window or a new tab.

That happened to me in the old format. I found that once a new tab opened if I then worked from that tab it would not open additional ones.

MamaSheepdog":29b1nbtu said:
mystang89":29b1nbtu said:
One thing I've found since the new format is that every time I go to open a new link it either opens in a new window or a new tab.

That happened to me in the old format. I found that once a new tab opened if I then worked from that tab it would not open additional ones.

You're a genius! :) Thanks.

mystang89":2momzkby said:
MamaSheepdog":2momzkby said:
mystang89":2momzkby said:

You're a genius! :) Thanks.

It's about time you noticed! :lookout:

Oooh! And I just noticed MC fixed the quotes within quotes! :p

You rock, MC! :punk:

MidnightCoder":2gbh16rf said:
I darkened the green and blue used in the forum and topic titles late last night, are we saying it's still not enough contrast?

It's better than it was last night, maybe a bit more darker on the green? I dunno.

MidnightCoder":2gbh16rf said:
And signatures will be regulated soon. We're discussing how best to limit them. It's generally agreed that some people are pushing it a bit with excessively long signatures.

Not that my signature was exceptionally long, but I cut it down smaller this morning. Don't want to cause trouble or anything... :twisted: :wink:

One other thing I found, when making a post, if someone has responded in the ~minute it takes to type my response it won't let me submit my post until I review the post that was made. For a "quick moving" topic, it could be a problem, as I have tried to submit this post 5 times now, and keep getting the "review post"

Well, I'm a person that likes things to stay the same. I go to the same restaurants and order the same thing...everytime! LOL That being said, I really like the new look! Great job and thanks for all you do MC!

bobqdevon":2lk8cgz5 said:
One other thing I found, when making a post, if someone has responded in the ~minute it takes to type my response it won't let me submit my post until I review the post that was made.

That has always been the case for me. Maybe it has to do with the browser you use? I have Firefox.

bobqdevon":1gyed31y said:
One other thing I found, when making a post, if someone has responded in the ~minute it takes to type my response it won't let me submit my post until I review the post that was made. For a "quick moving" topic, it could be a problem, as I have tried to submit this post 5 times now, and keep getting the "review post"

I think the utility of this function outweighs the occasional annoyance. How often do we type a reply to who we think is the last person in a thread, only to end up replying to someone else, totally out of context? This mechanism prevents that, or at least gives a headsup to quote the person you're addressing.

MidnightCoder":1wmefeh5 said:
And signatures will be regulated soon. We're discussing how best to limit them. It's generally agreed that some people are pushing it a bit with excessively long signatures.

The length or content of sigs wasn't really my gripe. Its the ~6-8 blank lines of text that's showing up in the sig box .... even for those who have short sigs , yours & mine being one liners with no links or other clutter have a large gap in the text ... Maybe its a setting on my end ?

Thanks for all the hard work getting this thing back up and under operation.

MamaSheepdog":333j30g3 said:
bobqdevon":333j30g3 said:
One other thing I found, when making a post, if someone has responded in the ~minute it takes to type my response it won't let me submit my post until I review the post that was made.

That has always been the case for me. Maybe it has to do with the browser you use? I have Firefox.

I use chrome, so it's definitely not a browser thing.

MidnightCoder":333j30g3 said:
I think the utility of this function outweighs the occasional annoyance. How often do we type a reply to who we think is the last person in a thread, only to end up replying to someone else, totally out of context? This mechanism prevents that, or at least gives a headsup to quote the person you're addressing.

I don't think it will be something that comes up often, just something different in the new update, will take some getting used to.

I've gotten used to typing a reply to something, then going back to where I was in the topic and continuing to read the responses and responding to each in separate posts. Now with the "save draft" function, in addition to being able to quote multiple people from the response page, that should be easier now.

Back