So excited!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpersden

Reaction score
I can hardly contain myself! In a few days my Lynx colored English Angora Doe will be arriving to meet her prince "Einstein" Although they won't be able to court till the end of year we are just so excited to be able to be having her! I have been wanting a pair for quite a while now and saved and saved for this little princess! I use the wool to spin into yarn on a spindle but am hopeful that the family has received all of my hints for a wheel! Here is a photo of Prince "Einstein" Hope you all enjoy!

PS. I will post a picture of Princess "Meleva" soon!

pizap.com13267415477051.jpg
pizap.com13267413097971.jpg

Is there a face in there somewhere? :lol: Wow, that is a LOT of hair! I love the ears...

Ack! I keep my hair cut really short because I have no time to mess with it- I would never be able to keep up with that!

Congratulations on a very fine addition to your herd! Eagerly awaiting pictures of the princesses!

My friend (actually, another of my tribe of "sisters") bought a spinning wheel with part of her inheritance from her mother, and she absolutely loves it. We need to see some examples of your finished wool products too! I could use a new scarf about now. :)

Thank you! We sure enjoy him quite a bit! He's not to bad to keep up. We were having trouble with his cheeks getting knotted up frequently like with in a day or two but we changed feed bowls and that has seemed to help out a ton. You used to be able to see his face when he was younger but that wool grows so fast! He is 6 months old now and I couldn't ask for a better looking angora! His wool is making some really unique yarn.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am __________<br /><br />Hehe will do Mama! I have everything I have done so far on spindles till I can get my wheel. It's a hint to the family that a wheel is my next step! LOL

Thumpersden":1ge8an8l said:
We were having trouble with his cheeks getting knotted up

__________ Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am __________

Braid the fur and give him a Fu-Manchu mustache! It would be super cute and keep it out of the way, but he might have trouble cleaning his face if his claws catch in it. Still, I hereby request you try it, if only long enough to snap a photo!

MamaSheepdog":3tttuw3p said:
Thumpersden":3tttuw3p said:
We were having trouble with his cheeks getting knotted up

__________ Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am __________

Braid the fur and give him a Fu-Manchu mustache! It would be super cute and keep it out of the way, but he might have trouble cleaning his face if his claws catch in it. Still, I hereby request you try it, if only long enough to snap a photo!

LOL :lol:

If I could knit (One of my new year resolutions!)I would DEFINETLY get an Angora! Yarn is a good excuse for another rabbit..... Right?

Here she is!!! Meet Antelope Island's Meleva!
Her mama cleaned a little too well so her right ear is a little gone. But I love her. She loves attention and will demand it in the most cutest way. LOL. I can't wait to see what her and Einstein's kits will look like! Thinking that should be about the beginning or middle of June. :D :love
pizap.com13278897270371.jpg

So fluffy O.O
I keep thinking about angoras because I love knitting and would love making yarn but sometimes I see them and think its too much hair!
I like Meleva, like that I can see her face.
Question from a newb, how do you harvest the wool? Maybe you can give me some leads on some good reading material, I have access to a spinner although I don't own one myself.

Completely Angora is a great book

Cute rabbits - thanks for sharing
Angoras are a fair bit of work if you want to use the wool

they are easy to just keep clipped short and relatively mat free

but I see a LOT of hair bunnies in awful condition .

(Puff has little dreads on his cheeks too - he hates having them trimmed or messed with so I don't bother usually)

Thank you all we are really excited about these two! Grooming hasn't really been hard. I enjoy it immensely. With a pet blower it makes the task alot easier. Einstein is more of a messy boy now just cause he knows his girl is around. But not to bad that it makes me have to work harder. Angoras are new to me still. I have had Einstein since October so I have alot more to learn. But that is what makes this fun! I won't be showing Meleva because of her ear so I will try to harvest when her wool when gets to a length that I can spin with. And by summer I will shear her so that the summer heat does not affect her. Although they are in A/C I still will worry. But About every 3 or so months is the norm. Einstein I try to keep his wool as long as I can so I can show him at least once this year. Would like to more but our summers are really hot. Our fuzzy lops will get to the shows more this year! :D

Grooming a 6 month old isn't quite the same to groom as an adult .. but get that practise in whiel you can

I have EAs and I find that a "mat remover" comb works good on keeping the cheeks mat free ... but you have to be gentle and since I had to start with the mats already there, I break it up into short sessions each day. I work on one side for a little until they get annoyed, then I groom another area for a bit, then work on the other side.

I also keep the belly and legs clipped and on my buck, I keep his privates clipped and across the back of the legs to the tail. I also keep the tail trimmed otherwise he pees all over that fur :lol:

AnnClaire":355p6g1u said:
I have EAs and I find that a "mat remover" comb works good on keeping the cheeks mat free ... but you have to be gentle and since I had to start with the mats already there, I break it up into short sessions each day. I work on one side for a little until they get annoyed, then I groom another area for a bit, then work on the other side.

I also keep the belly and legs clipped and on my buck, I keep his privates clipped and across the back of the legs to the tail. I also keep the tail trimmed otherwise he pees all over that fur :lol:

AnnClaire thank you so much for that bit of advice! I appreciated it!

1)I groom on my lap, first the back and "high" sides, then 2)I ease the back legs down the side of my thigh so I can get to the "seat area" of the back--the part they actually sit on. 3) I put the front paws on my chest and brush the "low" sides. 4) I firmly hold the rabbit to my chest and lean forward, while relaxing my thighs enough that the rabbit slides down and can be held firmly while I groom the tummy. (The secret is firm but not tight--rabbits want to feel secure while in a vulnerable position). 5) I stroke the bun until relaxed and sort of tranced before brushing the under-carriage. 6) This is a good time to brush the chest and under chin. 7) if they are relaxed enough (head back) the lower teeth should show and you can gently part the upper lip to check the uppers. 8)time to trim nails--if you can find them in the foot-fur.

Latest posts

Back