Snuffle Question?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
I have a doe that is blowing snot and she has kits. They are 3 weeks old maybe 3 1/2 weeks old ..Im not sure have to look at my calendar. I have her and the kits isolated in a different part of my house. I took her to the vet but they wanted me to give her antibiotics and made me feel like I was wrong for wanting to put her down. They were really looking down on me for it, so I tried the meds. The meds aren't working, and I don't want this to spread to my other rabbits. Im careful and always take care of her last but you never know how long before this kind of thing gets to the rest of my bunnies. I care about her and it hurts me but she has to be put down. Will her kits have it? Should I not sell them? A lady really wants one of them but I don't want to sell a bunny with snuffles. Especially because she has a lionhead that she loves dearly, and I'd never forgive myself if my bunny got her bunny sick. Would it be best to cull the doe and all her kits?

No I wouldn't sell any of them. As far as them getting it, thats a good question. I don't know how long you'd have to keep them in QT to consider them snuffles free. Hopefully someone can answer that soon.
So sorry your going through this and I'm sorry about your doe. It sucks to have to put down one we love to save our other rabbits. :(
Been there, done that. :cry:
[[HUGS]]

Often they will be symptom free until a big stressor comes along- such as pregnancy and kindling. You can keep back a doe or two until they mature, but you would need to keep them quarantined until you breed them and they raise their kits.

I would not sell one to that lady. I personally like to be up front about any health issues. I am currently having a run of problems with a litter, and one kit was placed already. I emailed the owner to let him know the situation so he can extend her quarantine.

I am sorry you are going through this, but if you breed rabbits for any length of time, it happens to everyone. Just remember that you are doing the responsible thing by culling ill rabbits, despite what the staff at your veterinary hospital believes. ((Hugs!))

It really sucks but I'd consider the litter infected. I'm having the same issue with my very best producing doe. Her litter is almost four weeks now & as soon as they're weaned she's going. This doe is in a 3 hole wooden hutch & her neighbours are going as well, 23 rabbits in the freezer because 1 blew snot. To be accurate, most of them were heading there anyway but I wasn't planning on the does & if somebunny was really nice they would've had a shot at joining the herd.

Your vet clinic needs a lesson in courtesy, they don't have final say on what You do with Your sick animals :angry:
It's hard enough to make these decisions without some officious twit telling you you're a bad person for not going the extra mile. I suppose, though, if they didn't do that they wouldn't be able to sell you lots of meds on an ongoing basis.

I am so sorry about your doe! :(

It is possible that the kits would be just fine, and never get snuffles. They could be resistant. However, they could still infect other rabbits -- it would probably be even more likely that one of the kits would infect the lady's lionhead than your own herd, since it's possible your other rabbits were exposed even before you saw the doe was sick.

Would it be a good idea to cull the buns that were exposed. I don't want this lying dorment till something arouses it and it decides to show up again. Yeah ..the vet made me feel evil for wanting to put her down. I kept getting dirty looks from the staff. I feel so horrible all ready and their looks and comments made it worse. Anyhow ..I don't want a heard of rabbits carrying this till they are stressed one day or sell a rabbit that carries it and it passes to someone else's heard or pet rabbit. I am frustrated but if I have to start from scratch I will to ensure a healthy heard. Thank you guys so much for understanding ..it helps.

There are plenty of people who believe that most, if not all, rabbits have been exposed to Pasteurella (one of the most likely culprits in your doe's snuffles). Those with strong immune systems never develop the disease, even if stressed. Those with weaker systems do.

Still, obviously, you don't want to put rabbits that have been sick or very closely exposed (the kits) with rabbits that are healthy and have been only more distantly exposed (the rest of your herd). The bacterial load could become such that it could overwhelm even a healthy immune system.

I think it perfectly acceptable to cull the doe, and the kits if you are not interested in keeping them as breeders. If you want to keep them to breed, they will have to go through a very extended quarantine as someone already mentioned, keeping them quarantined until they have raised a litter.

...And to leave the rest of your herd the way it is, observing strict quarantine as long as you have the kits. Just watch the rest of your herd for additional symptoms. Maybe even do some different things around them that they aren't used to, giving them little stressors to see if anything happens.

You could start over with new stock, and the new stock could be less robust than what you have. I think a watchful eye is all that is called for right now. :)

I'm sorry the vet and the staff did that to you. Where I worked that wouldn't have happened and my vet didn't know that much about rabbits. What they knew they learned with me or the client with a rabbit. Rabbit stuff wasn't taught in school back then. But still, ignorance doesn't excuse their behavior!!! It was just WRONG! Thats a shame.

I can't believe the vet and staff made you feel horrible. What you decide is your business. Not everyone has money to drop on crazy surgeries and medication...although there are some people out there that will go ahead and do it...and there are people that love doing that. They complain about the cost of the procedure....but some people seem to boast about it almost when they drop crazy money and their pet doesn't make it or still living a horrible quality life. I'm not saying it's wrong to save a precious pet, but within reason.

I think it was yesterday, a breeder was on a sick rabbit Facebook forum, asking for donations for a rabbit with so many issues from bone infections,broken legs,...anything that could go wrong with the rabbit....pretty went wrong with that rabbit. Not even knowing the person, I shared it to a private page.

I didn't know, but it was a BREEDER asking for donations (Taking over a grand...and after collecting the money the vet didn't want to go through with the procedure and recommended getting a second opinion. So the process would have to begin all over again. Money in the vet's pocket though ) . I shared it with a private group and someone got huffy because it was a BREEDER they knew asking for donations for a rabbit that should be put down.

The person that knew them personally was like,"Well haven't you had a favorite?"

and by coincidence...yes. I did what I could afford to do and when I couldn't do anything else, I put him down. I didn't go asking for handouts.

Vets shouldn't press you to pump as much money into animals as possible until you have to take a second mortgage on the house... I would start seeing a new vet. Maybe one a little more in touch with agriculture.

As far as your doe and her kits, I would not let any of them make it farther than the freezer. IMPO

Latest posts

Back