Sneezing bunny!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwinds Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hey,
Hello all ive been sorta off this site all winter but Hi again.

So I have a problem with my mNetherland herd buck.
he is sneezing (I highly doubt its snuffles) and I think his nose gets
itchy and I guess he scratches or rubs it and then it gets kinda bare and a bit bloody
and kinda scabs over or his hair stick together and then fall out around his nose.
at first I thought it was a vent disease so I did the cycle of penicillin
but hes no better.
ive attached a pic of what its like (this was before his treatment so its not this bad every day but can get like this) and I cant figure it out,
Is this something that mau be cured or must he be culled?

Thanks so much :)

Attachments

• 20140327_124228.jpg
    20140327_124228.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 444
If you think the snot is only from his rubbing and there is something stuck in his sinuses a vet may be able to do a flush to try and dislodge it. He'll need to be anesthesitized / knocked out to do it.

How long has he been sneezing?

Why don't you think it's snuffles?

Northwinds Rabbitry":2czd6kd1 said:
Hey,
Hello all ive been sorta off this site all winter but Hi again.

So I have a problem with my mNetherland herd buck.
he is sneezing (I highly doubt its snuffles) and I think his nose gets
itchy and I guess he scratches or rubs it and then it gets kinda bare and a bit bloody
and kinda scabs over or his hair stick together and then fall out around his nose.
at first I thought it was a vent disease so I did the cycle of penicillin
but hes no better.
ive attached a pic of what its like (this was before his treatment so its not this bad every day but can get like this) and I cant figure it out,
Is this something that mau be cured or must he be culled?

Thanks so much :)

What penicillin did you use and what dosage? Here is the regimine from the Merck Vet Manual:

Benzathine penicillin G, 42,000 IU/kg, SC, at weekly intervals for 3 wk, is necessary to eradicate treponematosis from a herd. All rabbits must be treated even if no lesions are present. Lesions usually heal within 10–14 days, and recovered rabbits can be bred without danger of transmitting the infection. A potential side effect of penicillin treatment is diarrhea and the possibility of an enteritis outbreak due to proliferation of gram-negative bacteria in the gut. Rabbits treated with penicillin should be switched to hay and treated with antidiarrheals immediately if needed (see Enterotoxemia).
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exotic_ ... bbits.html

Back