Snake Food, pet, show pricing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbers91

Reaction score
When I get my rabbits they will be Standard Rex. I just love love love their fur!

For selling rabbits as snake food, does anyone do it and have a round about price? I am also looking round my area for how much people sell or purchase them. Online I found anywhere from $5 anything 4 weeks or less, $6 for 8 weekers and $10 for adult medium rabbits. I would think maybe $1 for popples? This Is individual rabbit pricing.

I'm not sure though what the going price is for pets and showable rabbits, but I know I would get a feel for show quality when I purchase my first pair and work down from there for pet pricing I guess.

Thanks for your help :)

Before I sold my reptiles, I was paying $2 or more apiece for a small to medium rat, so I would think $2 would be reasonable for a rabbit popple. They may be smaller than a rat, but they are "better" meat...at least IMO. However it will also depend on your area. If you have any local reptile expos or exotic expos, maybe go to one and see what's available, and what people are charging? :) I think selling as feeders is a pretty viable thing, a lot of reptile owners want top-quality, healthy feeders. Reptiles are expensive, not worth the risk to feed iffy feeders. :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1ohqlo3z said:
Before I sold my reptiles, I was paying $2 or more apiece for a small to medium rat, so I would think $2 would be reasonable for a rabbit popple. They may be smaller than a rat, but they are "better" meat...at least IMO. However it will also depend on your area. If you have any local reptile expos or exotic expos, maybe go to one and see what's available, and what people are charging? :) I think selling as feeders is a pretty viable thing, a lot of reptile owners want top-quality, healthy feeders. Reptiles are expensive, not worth the risk to feed iffy feeders. :)

:thankyou: reptiles are expensive! Was going to get 1-2 bearded dragons once but then I thought my hermit crabs would enjoy the 55 gal space instead of the 30 gal they were in so I just upgraded the hermit crabs instead.

In case of storage, Can you freeze a whole rabbit for animal food? Or would it be an ok idea to skin it first to keep the pelt?

I sell my snake food at meat price $2lb. The hollands are $35 for anything under 4 mos. I don't sell any of the meat breeds as pets. Rex are anywhere between $40 and up, depending on age and show quality, or legs. At first I was barely charging anything, just getting my feet wet, but I've started shipping buns from across the country, paying more for my stock and winning at shows, so I think it's time for me to make my prices comparable. Besides I don't want to undercut the people I've bought from.

Shelbers91":cw74hfgh said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":cw74hfgh said:

:thankyou: reptiles are expensive! Was going to get 1-2 bearded dragons once but then I thought my hermit crabs would enjoy the 55 gal space instead of the 30 gal they were in so I just upgraded the hermit crabs instead.

In case of storage, Can you freeze a whole rabbit for animal food? Or would it be an ok idea to skin it first to keep the pelt?

I don't know about skinning it, most feeders are served whole, LOL. As for freezing though, I always bought my feeders pre-killed and frozen. :) So I don't think freezing would be an issue...just warn people who buy a large rabbit to make sure it is thawed all the way through, or it can cause harm to snakes. :)

Also you are totally welcome. ;)

skysthelimit":3rqnij52 said:
I sell my snake food at meat price $2lb. The hollands are $35 for anything under 4 mos. I don't sell any of the meat breeds as pets. Rex are anywhere between $40 and up, depending on age and show quality, or legs. At first I was barely charging anything, just getting my feet wet, but I've started shipping buns from across the country, paying more for my stock and winning at shows, so I think it's time for me to make my prices comparable. Besides I don't want to undercut the people I've bought from.

Oh ok. I know Rex can be a little more then some rabbits (and less then others) so for animal food purposes I would need proof that they are going to be for food since pets and show are more expensive. It's interesting you started shipping buns! I have no idea yet how that works.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3rqnij52 said:
Shelbers91":3rqnij52 said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":3rqnij52 said:

I don't know about skinning it, most feeders are served whole, LOL. As for freezing though, I always bought my feeders pre-killed and frozen. :) So I don't think freezing would be an issue...just warn people who buy a large rabbit to make sure it is thawed all the way through, or it can cause harm to snakes. :)

Also you are totally welcome. ;)

Well.. I am aware that they are usually served whole, It was just, um.. an idea to keep the pelts.. they are sooo soft! but if I get enough in time I'm sure that really wouldn't matter lol also thanks for the advice. I have to remember that many people don't have common sence and might not know to let it thaw completely. Lol note to self: explain everything just to be safe lol :)

Shelbers91":2l152jvq said:
Well.. I am aware that they are usually served whole, It was just, um.. an idea to keep the pelts.. they are sooo soft! but if I get enough in time I'm sure that really wouldn't matter lol also thanks for the advice. I have to remember that many people don't have common sence and might not know to let it thaw completely. Lol note to self: explain everything just to be safe lol :)

Yeah you'd be surprised how many people I've met who owned snakes were ignorant about their own pets. ;) I broke some guy's heart once, he showed me his little baby Ball Python and told me he couldn't wait for it to get like eighteen feet long!!! Yeah the world record holding Ball Python was like...all of six feet. ;) The big male I had was mature and steady at about three feet! That poor fellow, some guy took him for a sucker. :roll:

The Rex pelts is why when I got my first rabbits, I got Rex cross meat mutts...SO SOFT PLUSH FUR OMG. However the doe was INSANE and had a nasty temperament, and every single one of her kits was just as squirrely and obnoxious, so I culled the whole bunch. :p I still daydream about making a nice warm hat out of Rex pelts though... :)

Of course what I REALLY can't wait for, is my first litter of pure Champagnes. I want to make a coat liner out of 'em!!! :D

I think if you breed for meat for yourself as well as for pets and show and feeders, you will still be able to have hides for yourself, you just might have to "save up" a few for large projects. :)

Feeding whole animals to reptiles is the healtiest for them. They don't need any supplements and will get all the vitamins they need from it.

Check out Rodent Pro on their rabbit pricing.
I feed all my snakes frozen thawed prey, it's easier for me(I can keep the various sized prey in the freezer and thaw as needed), the animals don't figtht back(live prey left with snakes have been known to kill), and of course I know that the prey died a humane death before going into the freezer.

Also you should look into see what snakes are allowed in your area. I know the buramese pythons could eat a 10lb rabbit, but they are banned in most areas now. Like the largest snakes allowed here are boa's and they get 20-30 lbs range and would eat 2-3lb rabbits.

I was thinking of packaging like maybe $2 per popple and like $8 for a month supply $45 for 6 months and $90 for a year. does that sound right? or would $86 be better for a year supply?

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3sc42rls said:
$90 a year sounds very reasonable to me. :)

Thank you for being honest :) I dont want to undersell, but that would be better then to have outrageously high prices.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3sc42rls said:
Shelbers91":3sc42rls said:

Yeah you'd be surprised how many people I've met who owned snakes were ignorant about their own pets. ;) I broke some guy's heart once, he showed me his little baby Ball Python and told me he couldn't wait for it to get like eighteen feet long!!! Yeah the world record holding Ball Python was like...all of six feet. ;) The big male I had was mature and steady at about three feet! That poor fellow, some guy took him for a sucker. :roll:

The Rex pelts is why when I got my first rabbits, I got Rex cross meat mutts...SO SOFT PLUSH FUR OMG. However the doe was INSANE and had a nasty temperament, and every single one of her kits was just as squirrely and obnoxious, so I culled the whole bunch. :p I still daydream about making a nice warm hat out of Rex pelts though... :)

Of course what I REALLY can't wait for, is my first litter of pure Champagnes. I want to make a coat liner out of 'em!!! :D

I think if you breed for meat for yourself as well as for pets and show and feeders, you will still be able to have hides for yourself, you just might have to "save up" a few for large projects. :)

OMG I don't know how I missed seeing you post this. I DEF do NOT want anything with a nasty temperment. I dont want to be picky but they have to not be biters because I still want to handle them and let them free range in the yard and stuff. Plus if my nephew picks a rabbit thats for meat and he wants it bad as his pet I wont care because I want them all to be as sweet as I can get them to be.

and YES THAT FUR OMG <3 After I butchered I got kinda crazy and petted the pelts for a few minutes before I cleaned and froze em because it is an amazing feeling. I daydream about petting those pelts in the freezer lol or rabbits.. yea petting rabbits cuz.. thats not weird.. :oops:

As for the ignorance I see that all the time with parrots. Many breeders of parrots can play ya for a sap if ya don't know what is going on. I might be chummy with the breeder at my local parrot warehouse where I get my supplies but we are chummy with each other I think, just to keep peace. If I don't mess with his sales in birds he won't mess in my sales in rabbits when it gets there. lol

Oh man, birds aren't my "thang" but I know they can be crazy complex, and for some of the smarter ones the ammount of time and socialization they take is phenomenal...yet people still want to stick TRUE PARROTS in cages with no toys and never interact with them. I don't even know why.

Yeah I blame that doe, she was just a freak. And her temperament was stamped on EVERY last kit. Most of the Rexes I've met have been fabulous. I had a mini-Rex who was AMAZING but sadly lost to coccidiosis very swiftly after I bought her. SUPER temperament though!!!

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1fhy5n9h said:
Oh man, birds aren't my "thang" but I know they can be crazy complex, and for some of the smarter ones the ammount of time and socialization they take is phenomenal...yet people still want to stick TRUE PARROTS in cages with no toys and never interact with them. I don't even know why.

Yeah I blame that doe, she was just a freak. And her temperament was stamped on EVERY last kit. Most of the Rexes I've met have been fabulous. I had a mini-Rex who was AMAZING but sadly lost to coccidiosis very swiftly after I bought her. SUPER temperament though!!!

Birdies are my thing ^^ Ive had 4 years of public parrot education and seem to work well with small biters lol I am willing to work with an agressive bird but not so much an agressive rabbit. I got a cockatiel back in october and he is going to be 20 years old this year! He has been phenominal to work with. Former owners said he is cuddly when he wants to be and agressive other times, but this bird has yet to show me agressive behavior.I think it is because of the more natural living. He used to alwys be in this tiny tiny cage that would be "ok" for a couple budgies (not for me but trying to put this in average persons perspective..) but with the work so far I can now kiss him all the way down his wings. Before he used to only want his neck touched. He even lets me preen his face! Since parrots are prey animals they normally dont like anything near their eyes. I have high hopes that by spring I will be able to put the harness on him and take him outside and stuff (I like to keep them fully flighted). Then we will work on a call back etc. I am ok with cages when they are kept open. My birds have their own room. when I move out I will make an aviary with a tile floor and more natural perching and roosting. I am beyond picky when it comes to things for them. Only the best. If anyone has birds in a cage that is there thing and i just try to keep my mouth shut and only answer things when I am asked.

:shock: ... oops :oops: didnt realize I started to go off about it lol sorrys :D

Shelbers,

my Rex have wonderful temperaments. I have only had a few that were unfriendly- Evil Blue (now sadly deceased) would lunge at me and try to "box" my hand, but over time she got to be almost sweet.

As with any animal, it depends in large part on the breeding, coupled with handling.

MamaSheepdog":2xvoe8mh said:
Shelbers,

my Rex have wonderful temperaments. I have only had a few that were unfriendly- Evil Blue (now sadly deceased) would lunge at me and try to "box" my hand, but over time she got to be almost sweet.

As with any animal, it depends in large part on the breeding, coupled with handling.

That's good to hear ^^ I am sure you can also gt a nasty one even with good temperment lines. Though it's not difficult to just care for it and dispatch when ready lol I had a very agressive teil once. after working with him for months he was great as long as you didnt pet him lol I miss him :( curse sharpies and my ignorance those years ago.. But you grow and learn

Most of the Rex I have had were psychos.

I culled half of my herd and replaced them this fall. Much better now. Just one daughter of the psycho left, and the moment she starts up she's gone. Then there is the expensive Call buck, but I'm breeding for his replacements soon, and he'll be a fur collar for next season.

These buns better mind their manners around here.

Back