SMUT?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watersedgerabbitry

Reaction score
I have a few does that seem to have developded a black or dark gray line horizontally across there back or hip area just above there tail. My question is do they consider this "smut" in the show ring?

Are you sure your rabbit isn't a little sunburnt on the fur and molting?

One of my rabbits, a blue, is molting and her new fur is so much cleaner looking than her dead fur that is coming out.

Her previous owner warned me that her fur was a little sun burnt and although it wasn't noticeable before, now that she is molting, it is obvious how clean her color actual is.

White fur cannot sunbleach, also, sunbleaching is lightening of the color.
Calis get smut on their upper legs or across the hips, sometimes happens on fat/loose skin as well, more common on the dewlap.
The color points are heat reactive, aren't they? That means any part that ends up colder or loss of blood flow will result in darker fur growing in.

OneAcreFarm":gxg4581z said:
In Californians, a line of dark fur around the hip area is smut and is a DQ.

Isn't it generally a DQ to have smut on any useable portion of the pelt? I know it is on Cal Satins.

__________ Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm __________

watersedgerabbitry":gxg4581z said:
Yes. I have Californians.....it seems to only happen to some of my older does

Not at all unusual. I had a couple of Cal Satin does which did that. I had one doe do that this past spring. When she reached 10 months of age, she was DQ'd for smut on her pelt. She had been fine to that point.

ChickiesnBunnies":uq89drnl said:
White fur cannot sunbleach, also, sunbleaching is lightening of the color.
Calis get smut on their upper legs or across the hips, sometimes happens on fat/loose skin as well, more common on the dewlap.
The color points are heat reactive, aren't they? That means any part that ends up colder or loss of blood flow will result in darker fur growing in.

Duh! I missed the cali part, I just assumed it was a colored rabbit. Thanks for pointing that out.

Beekeeper10":in6w43ih said:
OAF, is that when they are juniors and when they molt, do they grow out of it?

Even Sr. rabbits can molt out smut...I have one right now that just blew his coat and every bit of smut from the cold weather is gone.

Back