small scale hay storage ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
so I need to be able to store a bale or two of hay at a time, and my current garden shed is too crowded. What I need is a nice rain proof way to store it right next to my hutches...I wanted one of those rubbermaid "sheds", they would be the right size, but there has to be a cheaper way than $350.

I want something that will allow them to be stacked one on top of the other, I want it to be $150 or less, and I want it to be reasonably tidy and easy to get to, and I don't want a major building project...any clever ideas?

I have a Skid that I modified to fit behind the door
and against the wall in my rabbitry.
I have an old plastic Table cloth that I toss over
the two bails which are stacked one on top of the other.
I am working on a system to create a gap/space between the two bails.
I believe this will allow for more air flow between them.
I may use doubled up cage wire with a bend much like what is used in
Show cages.
DSCF2056.jpg

There is only one bail there now, it is under the Red plaid looking thingy.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I like my bunk bed (single on single) hay shelf. A lot. I figure it should be able to hold at least 8 bales on top, and I have room for 3 large dog kennels on the lowwer half, and there is room below for the colony rabbits to run. I have a small shed and a small budget, so I'm using what I've got on hand to to the greatest advantage.

I used to keep a bale or two on a pallet in the aisle between the cage rows. Another option, which worked because of the cage design, was to break the bale up, and wtore it on top of each cage-- permitting the riabbits to periscope up, and nibble it from below-- storage and feeding at the same time. The main issue there was keeping the free range chickens from using the hay piles as nests..

I need something a little more rain proof... as there is literally NO room in the garden shed anymore. I thought of those plastic totes, but they are too small, so far.

I was thinking of those steel shelves wrapped in a tarp or something, but that is going to be a little icky looking...Thought of trying to re-purpose an old entertainment center, but I think that would barely last a month in the rain (particle board). I may just go with the pallet and tarp until something nicer presents itself...sigh.

I really like the bunk bed idea, but it is too big for the tiny space I have...

They make cases for protecting and storing 1 bale. These are used to haul hay for horse and other livestock shows without getting it everywhere or the bale rained on in the back of the truck or trailer.

ohh, good call! I vaguely remember those, I need to look that up and see if they are affordable. thanks!<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 pm __________<br /><br />Hey, I checked around and there are ones that suit my price range and are waterproof, and as a bonus, they could go directly in the back of the car and contain the mess on the way back from the feed store!! Some even have wheels like luggage! Thanks all, this is why I ask these things, you all are so smart!

Latest posts

Back