Skinny buck with round belly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone soup farm

Reaction score
My older Am Chin buck is almost 3 years old. I have had him for about 8 months, he has been a great breeder. He has gone from 9 1/2 lbs to 10 1/2 lbs in the last 2 months but feels skinny. I can feel his spine and hips a bit. He eats, drinks and poops normal. He gets hay daily, he won't eat all of his pellets and gets very demanding for hay. I feed him orchard grass. His belly is also gone from being round like the other Am Chins to much rounder and balloony but still firm, not sloshy. I thought he might have worms and gave him Ivomec, 1 round so far. Doesn't seem to have made a difference. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to keep him and still use him as a breeder but currently his condition is not top.

I took a though look over and then looked below his cage. He had worms in the poop. I checked under all the other rabbits and no sing. Still keeping an eye out. I gave him a sub-q injection of ivermectin. He already looks better. I will be following up with 2 more round 11 days apart. I think that is what it is and the symptoms match. But you are right...he still could have coccidia but I am thinking if he does it is more likely the intestinal coccidia. If he isn't better after round 2 then I might try some Sulmet. But I don't want to overmedicate.

Thanks for your advice dood.

I was gonna say 'worms'.
They'll steal the vitality and distend the abdomen.

Coccidia is a strong possibility as well.
Those two ailments oftentimes go hand in hand.

Sodiumsulfamethazine a.k.a. sulmet was a standard treatment
for my racing pigeons years ago. They were exposed to coccidia
during their racing season on a nearly weekly basis.
grumpy.

If you are going the coccidian route, use the Corid and hit them all- there are 9 sub-species of coccidia that affect rabbits< each has it's own preferred choice of internal 'home'- and they can/do make it look like your herd is a lumpy mess-- of course, if you have the 'gunk' cultured, the vet will tell you 'pastuerella' especially if it is Dr. Pet Vet --BTDT.

Where did you find the info on the rate for the injectable ivermectin? I would live to have that information on hand just in case I need it!

And is that something you can pick up at TSC or would I go to the vet? I don't honk I've ever seen it at TSC, but I can't say I was really looking either...

For a 10 lb buck I did .03 cc injected sub Q not intra muscular. I have read it is .018 cc per lb but I was being cautious. I did use revolution for a buck that I got that had fur mites. I have heard you can use that also for worms in rabbits. I have also given him gas drops to help with the bloat and only feeding hay and oats until he is better. He is doing much better. I might get Sulmet to have on hand to cover worms and coccio. IF they don't completely go away I might do a round on him. I just hate to over medicate.

Thanks Grumpy. I appreciate your help. Your advice and experience is always valuable. What would be the signs of coccio infection. He has not had diarrhea or any mucus in his poop.

Thank you. So far I've been lucky and none of my rabbits have had worms or mites, but I do have this awful habit where I feel terrible for a certain rabbit or three and end up rescuing them, so it certainly good info to have on hand!

PSFAngoras":3951ncwn said:
Where did you find the info on the rate for the injectable ivermectin? I would live to have that information on hand just in case I need it!

And is that something you can pick up at TSC or would I go to the vet? I don't honk I've ever seen it at TSC, but I can't say I was really looking either...

It's in the cattle meds section, and at some TSC they keep it in a locked case. I use the % for fur mites from the angora sites. harvest moon angoras is one.

Frosted Rabbits":36qmf8sz said:
If you are going the coccidian route, use the Corid and hit them all- there are 9 sub-species of coccidia that affect rabbits< each has it's own preferred choice of internal 'home'- and they can/do make it look like your herd is a lumpy mess-- of course, if you have the 'gunk' cultured, the vet will tell you 'pastuerella' especially if it is Dr. Pet Vet --BTDT.

Coccidia is the most common culprit of poor condition in adult rabbits, I have a good vet who know rabbits and we actually did a necropsy on one of mine to rule out coccidia vs. pasteurella vs. e. cuniculi. Coccidia won, hands-down. The Corid bought at the feed store is effective but requires prolonged treatment -21 days - with a repeat treatment in 14 days for a minimum of 5 days. You can add it at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Sulfamethazine, available via prescription, is what my vet and I employed to treat the entire herd empirically, I still follow through with Corid when weaning kits and as part of my 90-day herd maintenance cycle

__________ Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:23 am __________

stone soup farm":36qmf8sz said:
I took a though look over and then looked below his cage. He had worms in the poop. I checked under all the other rabbits and no sing. Still keeping an eye out. I gave him a sub-q injection of ivermectin. He already looks better. I will be following up with 2 more round 11 days apart. I think that is what it is and the symptoms match. But you are right...he still could have coccidia but I am thinking if he does it is more likely the intestinal coccidia. If he isn't better after round 2 then I might try some Sulmet. But I don't want to overmedicate.

Thanks for your advice dood.

Ivermectin does not treat the white whipworms/ wireworms/ pinworms/ or tapeworms most common to rabbits. It will treat the round ascarids, fur mites, ear mites, and bots.

To treat the 'other' worms, use fenbendazole, "Safe Guard" brand liquid goat wormer can be titrated to an exact dosing based on weight, which is 20mg/ kg. At 100mg/ mL you can use a 3cc syrings and draw up 0.2 cc (ML) per kilogram, or roughly 0.1 cc per pound. So a 10-pound rabbit would be 1.0 cc wormer. it must be given for three consecutive days and then repeated in 14 days.

The good news is that e. cuniculi is also sensitive to fenbendazole (there are rumors that ivermectin treats e. cuniculi but there are no evidence-based studies to demonstrate this).

When treating a very debilitated rabbit, approach the problem from all angles. I would employ bot the Ivomec and SafeGuard wormer, and consider treating your herd with Corid and SafeGuard

I have found that I can add SafeGuard to the water AFTER the first oral bolus, at a rate of 3 cc per quart, for an additional 72* continuous after treatment.

The rationale for the continued treatment (either repeat oral boluses or adding to water) with SafeGuard is that it has a very short therapeutic window, over 50% of its active metabolites are eliminated through the urine within 12 hours of treatment. So, in order to get "all" the worms the treatment must be sustained for several days. Ivermectin stays active in the system for up to 7 days, so it is one-shot deal.<br /><br />__________ Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:29 am __________<br /><br />
grumpy":36qmf8sz said:
I was gonna say 'worms'.
They'll steal the vitality and distend the abdomen.

Coccidia is a strong possibility as well.
Those two ailments oftentimes go hand in hand.

Sodiumsulfamethazine a.k.a. sulmet was a standard treatment
for my racing pigeons years ago. They were exposed to coccidia
during their racing season on a nearly weekly basis.
grumpy.

Grumpy, after much discussion with my vet and a deep look at "how" my enteritis issues came to my rabbitry (they showed up in late summer) we identified two possibilites: One was a brood doe I bought from another rabbit producer who had ongoing enteritis issues, and the other was from the starlings and barn swallows that were contaminating my feeders and water system during the mid summer months.

I find it interesting to hear of your experiences treating a pigeon flock for coccidiosis, and at this point I feel most strongly that the birds were the empirical carriers more so than the single doe, who was quarantined and kept in her own quarters.

Thanks for all the input, I have found all information helpful. The Ivermectinm didn't help gave 3 rounds 10 days apart. Now a few more rabbits have worms in poop. As mentioned above, it is white worms, possibly pin or whip type. I am getting the safeguard and trying that. I also want to do Sulmet for the buck and then after I am back from vacation follow up with the rest of my herd. What is the protocol for Sulmet on pregnant or nursing does?

Signs: I haven't seen anything is any of the livers of the fryers we butcher. If this buck doesn't make it I will do a necropsy on him and see of he has white liver spots or what? I know there are also intestinal forms of Coccidia. It is a bummer as everything was going so well for a long while.

Sourcing the cause: my herd are all in wire cages and currently being feed pellets and some hay. How are they getting the worms and/or Coccidia? My pellets are kept in a lidded can and my hay is in a mini barn. We did have a chicken sneaking in there about 4 months go during the summer to lay her eggs. I have made it so she can't weasel in there anymore....but is that maybe the cause? I have feed greens from the garden and yard but stopped that about 6 months ago. I only give herbal treats to the nursing does (from my garden: fennel, lemon balm, dill, and dried raspberry leaves purchased from the store).

Preventative for the future: I now also have ammonia to finish rinse my cages. I previously just scrubbed and then put on a hospital grade disinfectant, followed with 1-4 days of sunshine. Now I have a propane torch, power washer and plan on using the disinfectant plus finishing with the ammonia. Is this overkill or is there more recommended?

PSFAngoras":283pmlps said:

Check with Big-R over there. The one here has it if they don't but call them first. They don't keep much on hand.

stone soup farm":3qjtqd8r said:
Thanks for all the input, I have found all information helpful. The Ivermectinm didn't help gave 3 rounds 10 days apart. Now a few more rabbits have worms in poop. As mentioned above, it is white worms, possibly pin or whip type. I am getting the safeguard and trying that. I also want to do Sulmet for the buck and then after I am back from vacation follow up with the rest of my herd. What is the protocol for Sulmet on pregnant or nursing does?

Signs: I haven't seen anything is any of the livers of the fryers we butcher. If this buck doesn't make it I will do a necropsy on him and see of he has white liver spots or what? I know there are also intestinal forms of Coccidia. It is a bummer as everything was going so well for a long while.

Sourcing the cause: my herd are all in wire cages and currently being feed pellets and some hay. How are they getting the worms and/or Coccidia? My pellets are kept in a lidded can and my hay is in a mini barn. We did have a chicken sneaking in there about 4 months go during the summer to lay her eggs. I have made it so she can't weasel in there anymore....but is that maybe the cause? I have feed greens from the garden and yard but stopped that about 6 months ago. I only give herbal treats to the nursing does (from my garden: fennel, lemon balm, dill, and dried raspberry leaves purchased from the store).

Preventative for the future: I now also have ammonia to finish rinse my cages. I previously just scrubbed and then put on a hospital grade disinfectant, followed with 1-4 days of sunshine. Now I have a propane torch, power washer and plan on using the disinfectant plus finishing with the ammonia. Is this overkill or is there more recommended?

LOL I have the same cage cleaning approach.... after fighting coccidiosis.... I want to NEVER SEE IT COME BACK.

Hay can carry larval forms of worms; especially if mice or rats are present in any part of the harvest/ storage cycle, from living in the hay fields to burrowing into the hay in the storage barn

Birds can carry coccidiosis; I had problems with starlings and barn swallows over the summer and suspect that they may have been a vector

Healthy adult rabbits can carry coccidiosis and tolerate it well; but stress factors unseen by us can cause the balance to tip from tolerable levels to epidemic. In my rabbitry, only the kits were symptomatic, but once I figured out what was really going on I could see the symptoms of systemic coccidiosis in two of my senior does... often choked up to a doe 'losing condition' after having too many litters.....

Hay can carry larval forms of worms; especially if mice or rats are present in any part of the harvest/ storage cycle, from living in the hay fields to burrowing into the hay in the storage barn.

Yeah I have definitely seen the worms in their poop, some more than others. I am sure that any hay between field, warehouse and barn/storage has had some kind of rodent in it.

Healthy adult rabbits can carry coccidiosis and tolerate it well; but stress factors unseen by us can cause the balance to tip from tolerable levels to epidemic. In my rabbitry, only the kits were symptomatic, but once I figured out what was really going on I could see the symptoms of systemic coccidiosis in two of my senior does... often choked up to a doe 'losing condition' after having too many litters.....
Did you have liver cocci or intestinal? And what did you see besides loss of condition?

__________ Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 am __________

UPDATE on the buck. I gave him some safeeguard wormer. No difference. So today I culled him and found out what was going on. The liver didn't have any spots at all, that is a plus. It didn't look like a healthy color and the gallbladder was larger, but not a spot on it. He did have a mass about the size between a grapefruit and a volleyball. His intestines and stomach were shrunken. I think he either had a tumor or infection in the intestines. The mass was filled with a white liquid (pus I think). If I had used Sulmet in the beginning I might have been able to save him. I ordered some on Friday but it won't be here until this Friday. I think he was beyond helping at this point but it was a lesson learned. Luckily I don't have cocci in my herd (at least from his necropsy I confirmed that). Probably the worms he had damaged his intestinal lining and caused an infection.

Latest posts

Back